got hassled by the cops!!

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
Some cop got me today and claimed that my bike is illigal. I was then frisked and put into the back of a cop car for a wile and then let go with instructions to disassemble my bike.

I live in Michigan, what do I do now?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Some cop got me today and claimed that my bike is illigal. I was then frisked and put into the back of a cop car for a wile and then let go with instructions to disassemble my bike.

I live in Michigan, what do I do now?
I realize I'm replying without researching this site's legal thread concerning Michigan laws regarding MBs (I'm sure the moderators or somebody will jump in later, though, and rescue me) but I must beg a little more detail from you: what kind of engine did you have on it? I've seen everything all the way up to a Youtube video of a guy who put a pulse-jet on his bike. Also, did you have a head and tail light? Reflectors? Was the bike capable of exceeding (i.e. did the bike exceed...) a certain speed? In other words: how fast were you going at the time? These questions will reveal how you came to be pulled over.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Have you started disassemly yet? How much time did they give you to make that bike legal again? Maybe you were on Candid TV...."Un-Pimp Your Ride"!

That's really kinda ?...strange? Hope things work out and check into your local laws on this matter. Good luck.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Paul said:
michigan motor bicycle law
state of michigan rules are tougher then most states. you must registar the bike with the state and to do that you need a headlight turn signals and also brake lights. you get a 3 year moped sticker for $15.00. motor must be smaller then 50cc and have a top speed of less then 30mph. anything bigger then 50cc or faster then 30mph falls under motorcycle laws and registration. luckely the motors do not say what size the are and the only way to tell is to tear them down and measure the cylinder. no way to tell if the motor is a 48cc or and 80cc. let you concious be your guilde
Did you abide by your local laws?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I've never been hassled by anyone. I usually get waved at by police and I ride through some towns that are known for their hard nosed cops who barely even give me a second look. Some of these town cops will give you a ticket for 5 over but they don't bother me at all.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
yeah I've been rideing around all summer without issue, when I ride by cops they usually just look and smile but this cop wanted to be a jerk.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
He must've been short on his quota, that sucks! Most Leo's where I am are pretty cool, but I'm legal for a bicycle. Lights, helmet, bell, mirror. If you can prove you were legal, than you have a case. If you weren't at the time, go get the equipment to make you legal and take pictures with you to court... That's if the Leo even shows up..., you might get lucky!

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
^ I was let off with a warning but I do want want to stop riding my bike.

I have been looking around for the exact federal statue of what is considered a motorized vehicle. It is my understanding if the max speed is under 20mph then is it not, is this correct?

Can someone link me to this in particular from the actuall legal papers because I cannot seem to find it.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
azbill posted to Pauls link above, that's where I got my quote,... chill, read more :D Deep breath, you were just minding your business, the leo was on the warpath.

gl.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
For some reason right after I got mine and rode it all over town I stared to see a lot of people getting them.
The officer told me that somebody in town is making and selling them. Also apperinly some guy decided his bike was a car and took it on a busy fast rode and got himself killed in my town recently so this may be related to the harassment.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Whoa, that'd do it. I'd keep your head low - off the main roads- and don't ride at night. Just don't do anything do draw attention if you absolutely have to ride.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
that what the cop told me but I can find no record of it anywhere so I'm staring to think he was lieing to me. also this is something I would have heard about as it is a small town

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I have been trying to find the actual papers saying what a moped requires to have it registered. All the papers I can find just say it has to be under 50cc and do not go into greater detail.

So all I need to add is the turn signals and brake lights? I do not require mirrors or anything else fancy? The turn signals/ brake light is also a horn so I have that.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
You should have a mirror anyway, that way you'll know if a big truck is rolling up on you when you have to 'skim' around a drainage grate.

Dayam, your state sucks, but I'd follow your laws to the letter. If you already have blinkers and a horn, just make sure you wear your helmet, eh.

I went for a munchie run a couple of hours ago, and a cop stopped me on my way out, got out of his cruiser, came over. "That's a cool bike where'd you get that?" "I built it sir, I can get over 100mpg" "Right on, just make sure you keep that helmet on", and away he went.

That was way too much stress for two bags of Doritos and a Haagen-Das Bar. But I had all my lights going and my helmet on(even though I look like a dork) so he was just checking out the bike.

Still, way too much stress. Heh heh. Could've been worse though, take care.