mounting a motor??

GoldenMotor.com

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
Do you have a picture of a set up like that? Is there a place I could get the mount, or is it better home built? I just got the bike together and the only way to mount it where it should be, is to cut the 2 lower bars off.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here is just a few pic's to give you a ideal. There is friction drive, chain drive, and belt drive rack mount's..

Here is a list of some dealer's...you will find complete bike's, or just the kit, and some sell just the mount and you provide the motor, or you can just get the motor and provide the mount...many option's

Click here for link...http://motorbicycling.com/f3/find-dealer-review-1730.html

Attachments

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
Thanks for the reply and that would be great, but we already have a 80 frame mount kit. I can't see how I can get around cutting the 2 small bottom bars out of the way. We actually got 2 classic bikes today one for myself and one my wife. Mine has lots of room for the motor, but as you can see hers will be a challenge.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You may still find it a really tight fit once the bars are hacked out and then you'll have a worthless bike. I don't know how long the frame would hold up after removing those bars either....you may want to choose a different bike.

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
We have the bike and the kit already. Maybe I should explore rack mounting the little motor somehow. There has to be a way of doing it, but it would be nice to hear of it being done already. Thanks for the replys.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
My guess is your going to have to do some cutting on the frame if you want to mount an in the frame engine. It can be done one thing is the small 2 bars will either need to be cut off or cut and re bent may be the same for the top tube. Its a shame to cut up a good bike though could you return the bike for a different one? If not and your not afraid to cut it up go for it. I wouldn't be afraid to chop the dickens out of it but that me and my shade tree mechanics way of doing thing.rotfl
My web site has a bike that I butchered to fit an engine into looks like frankenstein but the owner was happy and that's what counts.
Norman

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I wish I could find that darn thread.

Someone took one of these China motors and mounted it above the tire. They had to tilt it back to get the chain to line up right, and then make a new intake manifold to keep the carb level.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I wish I could find that darn thread.

Someone took one of these China motors and mounted it above the tire. They had to tilt it back to get the chain to line up right, and then make a new intake manifold to keep the carb level.
I know witch one you are talking about....I cant find it either :confused: I know one of the dealer's has it in their web site..

I think....MOTORISED BICYCLE ENGINE KIT ZBOX BIKE MOTOR AUSTRALIA 48cc MOPED - AUD$235

I don't have time to look for it
:ride2:

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
Thanks, it shows a rack mount. I think that it still may be better to look at another type of motor. This is for my wife who has arthritis in her hips, and this is the first bike that feels good to her. I am thinking a 4 stroke with tank attached and rack mounted would be the simplest.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I would recommend a 1.3hp Robin/Subaru with 1.125" friction drive. It's quiet, simple with no mixing and the cheaper than the other engines.

I was in the same situation with a girlie bike cvruiser and frame mount chinese engine. I took all the measurements and decided the engine could not be installed without cutting the bars. Then you'd have to weld in a horizontal bar for support. That would change it into a man's bike.

I ran a front electric motor on the bike. Fully loaded, the bike weighed 135 lbs., up from 45 l bs. It was too heavy with 80 lbs of battery. With lighter, expensive lithium-ion batteries, an electric bike might be a good choice for the wife, if ya don't mind charging batteries.

My girlie cruiser now has a 2.2hp Mitsubishi engine, tuned pipe and 1.5" roller friction drive. It was quick with a 1.125" roller. Now it's fast, but it's not a good setup for your wife.

Personally, I wouldn't burden my wife with a rear-mounted chinese engine. I'd keep it as a spare for myself.