WORK Commuter 29er - ECITYPOWER test

GoldenMotor.com

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
Hi Guys,

have decided to go slightly more hi-tech with a planetary geared brushless 48V 500W disc hub motor from ecitypower and a matching 48V 10AH li-ion battery, had some good results so far, absolutely kills the 1000W push trailer using a gearless brushless motor!!

Had to lace the wheel up, bought a strong SUN RIMS rhyno lite 29er rim and choose 4x pattern for a super strong wheel!!

However I have had battery problems, wire from fuse to key lock was very undersize and excess heat melted the weak soldered connection and earth out the fuse (ecitypower said wire is undersize and will make efforts to tell the manufacturer), I have now re-wired the battery internals bypassing the key lock ignition and internal fuse, and now running an external blade fuse configuration, has worked well so far..

THEN 2 rides later the li-ion battery wont power up the bike,

1. I have tested the exact same cable from the battery to controller using a 48V SLA battery i had laying round and it powers up fine..

2. LI-ION battery reads 51.5v at the terminal, and when i connect cable and re-test at the controller after the fuse reads 10.21v

3. when i put the + and - wires together there is no spark and dont blow fuse

4. I put the battery on the charger and once finished the battery reads 48v

5. When i connect the battery charger and turn it on battery reads 53.5v instantly and if i connect to controller BIKE POWERS UP!!

any ideas?

overall not quite happy with the setup, I think Bafang motor is the go with simple SLA

anyway here are the pics!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It looks great. I don't know a thing about litho batteries sorry I can't help you there. Hang it there it will come together for you.

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
SUCCESS!!!!

tok the battery out of its case and opened up the heat shrink and on the terminal board there was a loose resistor of some description, so i resoldered it and we now have power at the controller!!

just took for a test ride and WOW, got some serious power!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Very good, I'm glad you could fix it. I hope everyone with those lithium batteries will report any problem and fixes. They are not only new but are getting more and more widely used. The more we share, the more we will know, the more we know, the better they serve us.