Now for the rhino bike

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I think the rhino drive with the foam core wheels are the way to go from now on. So now I have the perfect (for me) edrive, With the right amount of pressure it will roll through four inches of water so I think it's pretty much go anywhere and that was my last concern.

I am pretty sure the nimh batteries will be the right power source for the bike which leaves me only finding the best frame for the bike. Yes judy, after all this time I am going to buy a new bike. If I attach the batter holder to the drive, I need a bike on which I do not have to swing my shakey old butt over. I would like to buy a cheap step through cruiser 24" model but they all look so GIRLIE... lol

I really don't want to build another custom bike. If I do that I might as well keep the one I have now. It will probably do fine.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If I read your post right, you just talked yourself into building a rhino trike.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
NO NO NO lol... I am trying to talk myself into buying a new bike, rather than build from bits and pieces of other bikes.... The problem is I can't find exactly what I want. I need a very low step through frame, but they are all so girlie looking in the cruiser, which is what I really want. The frame on mountain bikes are little different from men to women.

I have a women's mountain bike with small wheels now which is okay, but I would like it even easier to step through. That box of batteries on the back of the drive makes it difficult to lift my leg over.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Since step thru frames are sometimes much cheaper, I had considered using one and fabbing a top tube from PVC pipe.
You might be able to fab a quick release top tube frome PVC, painted to match the frame. The bike would look masculine but you could disconnect the PVC top tube when mounting the bike.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My very first gasoline bike was a 24inch step through schwinn collegiate I had to make a top bar for the gas tank from a mop handle. Wife never did forgive me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Kmart has a girlie cruiser on sale today for 79 bucks. 26inch step through, how gay would that be with a rhino drive on back. I'm forcing myself not to buy it, because I would have t pull the fenders off and I just can't find it in my heart. I could probably save the front fender by putting my emergency hand brake on the rear wheel. I will have to think about that some. My new mount doesn't require that I use the rear hole in the frame that the brake and fender use. So it is a possibility.

I have all the parts to throw together another bike, I think I will put together a second rhino with a much smaller drive wheel. I don't use all the throttle I have now. The bike is just too fast if I do. It would look a lot better with a smaller wheel, that's for sure.

I have even been flirting with the idea of trying the new batteries at 24v instead of 36 I mostly need the extra ump for the hills around here. If the bike will do it at 24 then I don't really need the speed. I have always vacillated between the two voltages. The 36 has the extal power when I need it, so it usually wins out. I like to do those small hills accelerating and the 36v does that the 24v is pretty flat power wise. I have no idea what the batteries I'm building will be like so I guess I'll have to test them.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since step thru frames are sometimes much cheaper, I had considered using one and fabbing a top tube from PVC pipe.
You might be able to fab a quick release top tube frome PVC, painted to match the frame. The bike would look masculine but you could disconnect the PVC top tube when mounting the bike.
mounting the bike sounds a little obscene... lol I think they usually mount me....

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
might be the best option... Im thinking hanna montanna lol
laff

Try checking out the comfort bikes instead of the cruisers. The comfort bikes are targeted towards adults who want a plain jane commuter bike with multi speeds and hand brakes. The step throughs are not as flaming as the girlie cruisers. ;)

You can also check Craigs for used comfort bikes. I found several for under $60. They had a bit of rust on the handlebars, but that can easily be covered up with tennis racket grip tape (the soft stuff, not the tacky tape) or foam tubing. Btw, you can buy the same type of tape at a bike shop and pay 2 to 3 x's more than tennis racket tape. :D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Its like camera stuff. I could buy really shallow 8x10 trays for three bucks each at the camera store, or 11x14 6" deep dish pans for 50 cents each, when I was in the business. That was the example I gave to kids when I taught photography. Think of things that will do what you want done, don't just run out and buy stuff they tell you that you need.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I tested the small wheel rhino and it did exactly what I expected. It ran out with good hill climbing torque but was much slower. The extra three inches in diameter makes a lot of difference when it turns that many times a minute.

Still I like it just as well, so if I do buy a new bike, I think I will move the little Rhino to the new bike. Since it is smaller I shall call it the Wino drive. er is that whineo drive. I spend about four hours reconstructing my test bike and then installing the engine ect.

I have never put a speedometer on them but I am guessing the big bike is 15 to 18 mph and the Wino is 10 to 13 mph on the flat that is. A perfectly respectable speed for me.

By the way the drive wheel on this one came from one of those e200 child's size e-scooter. A stand up I'm sure. But the motor is running at 900 watts or so. I might be able to find a smaller sprocket but I don't need one it is good enough for me.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The added quick release top tube and some strategiclly placed black paint on the middle tube and no one is the wiser.(and w-mart shoe boxes for pics,lol)

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
All I can say is, there's nothing more satisfying than building something yourself ;) Dont go spashing out on a new bike when there's plenty of bikes to be had at the local recycle center. Im sure you'll eventually find something that suits your needs.

Regards
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I most likely will just keep an eye on the thrift store. I have been threatening to buy a brand new bike for two years and haven't.

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
Deacon - If you're using the NiMH batteries you are not locked into the 12 volt increments. 8 cells in series is 9.6 volts X 3 is 28.8 volts. Might be just enough to get you over the hump, so to speak - jd

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
You might want to make sure they have a NiMH setting - I think they like a different charging pattern than SLAs. Chargers are pretty cheap - $15 or so. I think some are adjustable voltage too. If you get longer life from the cells it might be worth it - jd

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Over the weekend I bought a seventies schwinn girlie girl bike. That thing is the cat's PJs. I can actually step through the frame. It was made in the days when girls still wore skirts to ride a bike. It's a cool ride for a gimp. I'll send some pictures soon.

You know I had to put on some higher handlebars and a strange front end. I have two really cool fenders, I don't want to use. I hate to toss them but they really are in the way. I guess I could chop one down and make a fender for the Rhino drive wheel that sits on top of the rear wheel. That would be interesting.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I almost did something revolutionary on the new rhino today. I needed an emergency brake in case of chain brake. I am running a coaster wheel on the rear of the bike. I thought that I didn't have a brake cable with ends on it. I have lots of cut up old cable laying around.

I thought, what I should do, since the brake is right by the seat is to use a piece of cable and fashion a pull handle like the emergency brake in a car. If the chain breaks I can brake the bike with it. I could just reach down and pull on it until the bike stopped. Unfortunately I found a cable hanging on the shop wall, so I didn't need top do it, but the more I think about it the more I want to do it someday. Bye the bye, I love the frame on the step through 70s schwinn. It is going to be the best frame I ever had I'm sure.

Last edited: