parts

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I buy a lot of parts from a dealer on ebay called Stewie. I just bought a wheel for a drive to replace the hub motor. I'm kieeping the hub but just putting it on the shelf for now. Anyway he sent me an email just before he shipped it told me he had bought a truckload of mongoose kids ebikes. I took a look at the model and i think they are chain driven rear wheel drive with a center motor. I couldn't tell anything much from the pictures on line but he said he would have the parts on ebay soon. So keep an eye out you guys who don't want friction drive.

this is the walmart writeup on it. Walmart.com: 20" Boys' Mongoose Moto-X Electric Motocross Bicycle: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

and no im not pimping for him. Diy parts are hard to find and he is usually a parting out kind of guy.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I wasn't able to load the website. What is the voltage/wattage rating of the motors?
48v/750w is my build goal.
I saw one of those e-bmx bikes on EBay this morning that was modified for shaft/worm gear drive.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

20" Boys' Mongoose Moto-X Electric Motocross Bicycle: $248.00

WallyWorld said:
This feature-filled Mongoose electric motocross bicycle is tough, fast and fun to ride. Plus, it's an excellent, emission-free alternative to other forms of transportation. It features a Moto-X full suspension race design with dual crown chrome forks and removable battery box, Moto-X Race 20 inch wheels with front disk brake, Moto-X saddle, fenders and race number plate, and the patented Currie Electro Drive System with 450 watts of power. Designed for rider 12 years and up and no more than 240 pounds.

* 450 Watts of power from a DC Earth magnet motor
* EV-rated SLA 24 Volt, 12Ah battery with plug and play design
* Smart charger and removable battery pack included
* Exclusive Electro Drive 24 Volt, 25 Amp fully potted controller
* 15 MPH top speed (depending on weight of rider)
* 8- to 25-mile range (based on pedaling and rider weight)
* Alloy linear pull brake with alloy/resin brake inhibit lever
* 20in x 2in. Black Out alloy wheels with front disk brakes
* Moto-X tires
* Moto-X handlebars with Krayton grips
* 20-inch double-crown long travel suspension forks
* Moto-X saddle
* Moto-X full suspension, heavy-duty high-tensile steel frame
* Dual side pedals with cotterless crankset
* Moto-X plastic fenders and heavy duty kick stand

Speeds: Up to 15 mph
Frame: Hi-ten frame
Brake type: Alloy linear pull brake
Bike Type: Electric
Wattage: 450-watt motor
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 93.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 48.0 x 16.0 x 36.0
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported
Wal-Mart No.: 000764913
Walmart.com: 20" Boys' Mongoose Moto-X Electric Motocross Bicycle: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

:p

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you find someone to respoke the wheel to 26" and up the volts to 36 this thing should move on out. I was curious to see how the freewheel works. It looks as though the motor is not on the wheel like the Izip. could be it hooks to the pedal chain somehow. that would be cool.

If you just upped the voltage to 36 it would increse the power by about 30 to 50 percent. The danger there is you might burn up the controller but I hope he will be selling just the wheel and motor either as a package or seperately.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
According to SDScooters.com, that is a BRUSHED motor, so upgrading to a 36V controller wouldn't be too expensive.
The motor alone retails for 85.95 on that site.
You could make a really fast e-bike by adding a pair of those 450w motors linked via chain to a freewheeling crankset to drive the pedal drive train on a mountain bike or beach cruiser.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I run 20" wheels anyway so for me it would be a bolt on thing. I think I will stick with my friction drive but for those guys who want chain drive this might be the easy way to go. I have no idea what the freewheel will be though. It looks from the picture like the motor is not part of the wheel but maybe there is a sprocket on the off side. I guess we will have to wait to see.

On the over power... All my bikes are over powered. Some controllers can handle it some can't. TNC sells a line 24 % 36 volt that I know will do 12 volts over. I have done it to both. run the 24 at 36 and the 36 at 48. those currie motors just hum an any of them.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I had one just like this bike but mine was a 24v 250w model with 7ah batterys with a 15mph top speed,12mph average speed @ 5 mile range and 8 hour recharge time,i paid $185 at walmart,batterys lasted only 4 or 5 months then need replaceing.

Theres no room on the rear for a larger wheel, and theres a sperarate sprocket welded to the other side of the rear wheel to drive a thin chain to the electric motor.The electric motor turns when peddaling.

* The sticker on my motor actually said 300watts but the sticker on the bike said 250w

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah then the wheel and geared motor from it is all you need to make a decent bike. If you can get that then you can pick up a heavy duty controller from tnc.. A throttle and larger battery pack. That would run you at 600watts probably.
\\

You know he might be getting the 250 watt motor in which case it would be too small for any real serious biking. I guess I'll keep an eye on ebay to see what comes along.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm getting a scooter wheel from this guy and he emailed me. I emailed back to see if he knows which motor he is going to have. He is going to let me know. A geared 450watt motor would be nice to have around if that is what he is going to be stocking. And a wheel as well.

The motor bike difference is probably the controller. the motor actually runs at the controller wattage, I think.

Last edited:

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
I buy a lot of parts from a dealer on ebay called Stewie.

and no im not pimping for him. Diy parts are hard to find and he is usually a parting out kind of guy.
A link to this Stewie would be nice, or are you keeping your dealer a secret :D

Regards
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Nah we can share him but I do draw the line at threesomes.... I only know him as stewie67 on ebay. I think he has a store there. His email is [email protected] If you email tell him you got the address off this forum maybe he will give members a discount.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you get a 24v 450 watt motor and switch out the controller any of these currie motor bikes will go to about 900 watts at 48v. the larger controller is about thirty bucks on tnc. but they heavy duty 36v 800 watt controller and just pump 48 through it.

I run a 600 watt motor at 24v at 48v that way and it hums. I also run bikes at 36v through their 24v 500 watt heavy duty controller and they hum as well. I haven't tried 48v through a 24v controller yet but I'm sorely tempted. I just might do that to give me an excuse to but another 36v controller if it burns up. I kinda like that 48v setup.

The best thiing about my bikes is that the motor says 600 watts. Unless the guy is into electric stuff the cop would never know it is actually running at 1200 watts.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am going to post the email I got from the dealer with the bikes. Here you go guys give him a shout if you want to build one from these parts.
Your not bugging me.....the motor is the 24volt 450 watt one from currie with the gearbox on that uses the regular bicycle chain I can sell them as a whole bike or in pieces but if they want the whole bike they need to speak up soon because we are chopping them. Basically it's the orange mongoose currie electric motocross bike that they sold at walmart...I have every part for them ...i think
you can give them guys any of my info so they can contact me right away and let me know what they need.... just tell them to let me know you sent them and ill give you some credit toward stuff
if they wanna call thats fine too my phone number is 570-784-2403

I'll send the front wheel along with your order you can take it apart
thanks
mike

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got this from the dealer after he read the posts about what we were interest in. So here you go... You want a geared, rear wheel chain drive have at it.

I read some of the posts and figured i would email you back
the motor has a gearbox on it and it is driven by the same size (different lenght)chain as the the pedals on the opposite side
the motor controller has a 35amp rating 24v made by anada drive technologies

I bought these as store returns most have very little usage if any some were still in the original packaging

heres a price list for the forum if they want to get in contact with me

motor $25
controller $18
Matching throttle( 5 pin) $18
rear wheel (includes tire and tube) $18
front wheel (includes tire and tube)with disc brake rotor caliper and cable and handelbar lever $18
12ah battery we check these $20/ea
Front shock/forks assembly $25
rear shock $10
Both Chains from one bike $10
Plastic battery box $10
24 volt charger $18 ....I only have a few of these but they are new

also any other part from that bike you may need plastic,pedals,crank, frame,handlebars cables, seat etc.

I can ship either ups or usps which ever is cheaper

sorry paul,
I know this should be in swapshop but we have been running this thread and its just information.

If it were me still trying to build a rear wheel drive chain driven bike, I would pick up the rear wheel, motor, and controller as a package deal. I am sure he will make you a deal on the shipping.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A guy on another site is converting his Hardknock bobber to an E-Knock.
A pair of those 450W motors would work well for that.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
No I never got a deal from anyone. I actually haven't bought the wheels and motor yet. I am thinking I might buy one if this darn snow keeps happenin' it's really tough on friction drive bikes. It takes days for the roads to dryup.