Motorizing a Surrey...where would I even begin?!

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Should make an interesting ride. I'm not sure where "zona" is unless you mean Arizona but before you put too much $ into this project you need to check your local laws regarding motorized vehicles. Some states will not allow anything with more than three wheels. That could be a problem unless you can register it in some catagory. Good luck and keep us posted. I'd most surely go with a 4 stroke if it were my project.
Tom

PutsTheDUIinRUINED

Oct 17, 2009
'zona
I'm in Arizona. A friend of mine and I are thinking of scrounging up some extra cash working some nights downtown after games, couriering people to and from the arena. As far as permits go, there is a vendor permit needed. In a lot of ways it is still a bicycle, so I will have to hear a legal expert's voice on the matter. In any case, I am still excited to motorize it, for ****s and giggles...if it needs a moped registration or something, I'll to go that length to make it legally driveable...

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
2door is right. You might be street legal with electric power under the federal "Neighborhood Electric Vehicle" statute but check the AZ laws.
An electric powered Surrey would cost less than an EZgo. (A hub motor might be an easy install).
The Surrey will not be street legal in AZ with a gas motor unless you remove one wheel and limit the engine size to 49cc.
Good luck.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome. Really like those things. I tried to talk Ma in law into letting me build one for her. She asked "Like a surrey!?" lol, didn't know it was some how insulting. She is 84 and goes to church less then half a mile away.

Seems a hefty price, but uber-cool

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
28-2516 - Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition
quote from the AZ law page (link above)...(my italics)

"For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour."

that 4th wheel will cause hassles :(:(:(

stephenlynn

Jan 28, 2010
IA
Hi

Stephen from Iowa. I too am looking to motorized a surrey. Does anyone have an idea what kind of engine I would need to buy. I'm looking to use it as a pedicab and potentially could have 6 people or 1000 lbs in the surrey. Also I live along the Mississippi and have 7-9 degrees bluffs to climb up and down. Thus power and gearing are probably going to be my biggest problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I would go with a 110cc motor, a Lifan. With 4-wheels you going to have to give up on putting this in a bicycle catagory so why not stick something big in it. Mount under neath the front booster seat, then convert seat to a gas tank. As far as your drivetrain, these do not have a solid rear axle. All you can do is either tap in at both peddle points, or run a chain to a self made axle in the back, then in turn run chains to both wheels with sprockets. Good Luck, I'd like to see one of these going 50 down the road!!!

delfino

Jan 29, 2010
Va Beach
Hello,
I'm in Va Beach and I'd like to convert our old surrey (similar to DUI's posted above but it's a bit longer with an additional row of seats). I'm thinking of electric power, perhaps mounted between the rear wheels with batteries in the back seat area? I have an old Melex (EZ Go clone) electric golf cart that I could cannabilize for parts.

Does this seem doable? I have no idea about any of this and would really appreciate your input!
Thanks,
Chris

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Chris and welcome. More then just doable and can't wait to see her when your done! Great mechanical confidence builders. I am gonna be pretty useless with any tech advise on electrics but many folks here who would enjoy giving ya tips an' tricks. Vast knowledge base here.

Build some thing cool and post lots of pics!

rustymullet

Jan 22, 2010
Oak Creek, Wi.
Hi

Stephen from Iowa. I too am looking to motorized a surrey. Does anyone have an idea what kind of engine I would need to buy. I'm looking to use it as a pedicab and potentially could have 6 people or 1000 lbs in the surrey. Also I live along the Mississippi and have 7-9 degrees bluffs to climb up and down. Thus power and gearing are probably going to be my biggest problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Im pretty familiar with the bluffs along Iowa, Minn., and Wis.. The smallest motor thats going to get you up those things in a surrey is at least a decent size motorcycle motor. Im talkin at least 250cc.
rustymullet