Disguise motorized bicycle as Ebike for elec only states

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Read a post from a guy in Hawaii (different forum site) wanting to disguise his ebike as a gas bike, because ebikes are illegal on the roads there.
That gave me the idea of disgusing my gas bike for elec only states. I fugure I can do this while saving up for an ekit with good commuting range.
The plan is to cover (not enclose) the gas motor and make it appear that I am running a front elec hub motor. Of course you will be able to determine that it is a gas bike when standing next to it. The idea is to make it quiet enough and resemble an ebike enough that the police will buy it from a distance of a few car lengths. More notes in the pics.
Pics below showing disguised bike with and without engine covers. Think it might work?

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Re: Disguise MB as Ebike for elec only states

I don't think you will ever be able to muffle the noise enough

in order for it to fly. Even a 4 stroke would be too loud...Pops

Hophead_90720

Dec 28, 2009
Long Beach, CA

I thought of trying to do that when I get mine up and running. Though I talked to a cop last week and he said as soon as he hears these bikes he pulls them over and gives them a ticket. I'm trying to find riverbed and fire access road ways to get around and minimize the street riding.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

hophead, what does he give them tickets for? i dunno of anyone who's gotten a ticket in california yet, except for maybe not wearing a helmet. i've ridden through LB a few times with no probs.

and riverbed and fireroads are off limits. that will get you a ticket...

Hophead_90720

Dec 28, 2009
Long Beach, CA

Bairdco, I'm not sure what he gave the ticket for. I will ask him, next time I see him. From what I understand, a California resident is not supposed to use these engines within the state; they must be used out of state due to CARB laws. That's what I read on the Bikeberry website.

So I can get a ticket for riding these engines along the riverbeds? I was hoping to do weekend rides on them...bummer.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

the santa ana river trail and and every other bike trail i've seen have signs posted saying "no motorized cycles..." etc. california law says if it's not posted, you can ride on them, but i haven't seen one yet that isn't posted.

the CARB regulations are just for importing products. some dealers will, and some won't ship to california.

there's nothing in the vehicle code prohibiting them from being used here. at least not yet.

there's a bunch of threads about CA laws already, so i'm not gonna go into detail, but cops i've talked to told me to wear a helmet, obey basic traffic laws, and don't be a dumb a$$ and most of the cops will leave you alone.

i ride all over newport, huntington, costa mesa, and the rest of OC with no probs.

yet...

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

I was planning on riding in traffic, to further reduce that odds of the police hearing my 2 stroke motor.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

the plywood covers would make it look less like a bicycle and more like some sort of moped or motorcycle, attracting unwanted attention.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

I think you are right about the plywood covers. Sheet metal covers look more like an electric bike.
Since gopeds are street legal in TX (with some restrictions), I could also try to modify my motorbike to fit that statute.
I would need to prove my engine is 40 cc or less and add some kind of deck that allows me to stand.
A metal stamping kit will take care of the engine size and I could add a fold up wooden deck (plank) to each chain stay using a few pairs of fold up buddy pegs. The folding decks would allow me to pedal.
This is all a bunch of crap but I want to be able to continue riding my motorbike.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area

Wheelbender, I have been thinking for months about your very plan.
The biggie is the noise of the two stroke exhaust. have you ever heard a quiet one? I mean REALLY quiet. Can you make the HT really quiet?
I took the Techumseh 98cc off my gas/alternator bike and made the bike back into a straight electric . I got the intake quiet, but couldn't get the exhaust to be quiet enough.
One of the guys here did a nice enclosure like you picture- that part is OK. Rounded ones like a fairing would be even better.
Actually, I was thinking of putting a HT right on the back and hiding it in a milk crate type box. But then what about the exhaust?
I've got a HF 79 and it is a quiet engine, with an added muffler, it will be real quiet. THAT is going to go in frame on a gas/ alternator bike next for me. This time, the bike will be a battery powered E-bike with on board charging system. Totally legal here (don't know about Tx.) I just ordered a 24 volt regulator for a Delco alternator and controller with throttle.
I was also thinking about a wacker on a rack (in a crate) with a roller drive and doing a silence-job on it.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi

I REALY MISS BEING A COP.By the time you buy plywood metal,wire etc and paid the ticket and court cost you could buy a $399.00 e bike.H.D.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Doc - You are probably right but you know we have to learn the hard way.
Professor- Those rectangular Goped mufflers are very small and easily hidden. They arent quiet or efficient though.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY

All you need is a couple of plastic or metal side covers(around $5-10 a piece,you'll want them the same color as your bike).
put fuel tank on rear rack with box over it for a cover,plastic will work,same color as bike.
the muffler is black and is close to the frame,my bike is also black so you cant see the muffler. You could even print out some stickers that say electric(get blank label paper at office supply store or get free eco stickers online). there you go instant electric bike look-alike, they wont know the noise is coming from your bike aslong as theres other cars on the road,plus you can lower your idle real low and pull clutch in when you see cops and the engine will hardly make anynoise at idle.

i have not done any of this yet because ive been riding my bike with engine for a year and no cops has ever questioned me or stop me at all,i almost never even see any cops while riding.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Cabin - You get the plastic side covers at a building supply or hardware store?
There is plenty of law enforcement presence in the Houston area.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY

You can get plastic covers,vented covers or plastic bins and cut bottom off,lots of places and things to get a sheet of plastic from between $5-10.
You can find them at building supply stores like lowes or walmart.
I would go with a black color since my bike is black.
Plastic should vibrate less than sheet metal but you will have to space it a inch or so from the engine,dont want it to melt,plus some vents would be good and easy to do.

like i say i have not done any of this yet on my bike but i plan to just so i can take my bike down a main road instead of hiding and taking back roads.
This all should work aslong as a cop dosent pull up right next to you and hear your engine running,cause they wont notice your bike and engine if there just driving past you with there windows closed. goodluck.

JUst go to a store that sells plastic bins or plastic panels and look at plastic stuff,get some heavy duty shears or sissors and a utilty knife to cut it.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto

I live in Modesto California, I wear a helmet 100% of the time while riding. I had a really nasty accident when I was 17, my head was so messed up they had to put me into a coma for a week. I agree with the other CA members, wearing a helmet and following the rules of the road and the cops tend to look the other way (at least in Modesto). The rear mount with a crate idea would be awesome to keep people from tampering with your engine if you could fashion some kind of hinged lockable vented top for it.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada

steve and bc rider. something wrong with my key board and cannot do capital letters. i met this fellow last year here in victoria that is on the other site when i went to buy a springer front end off of him. i don't know if he is still a cop, but he was one. he told me about the guys that got busted and because hes a cop i have no reason not to believe him. i think he is the only legal ice bike rider in victoria as he jumped through all the hoops in order to be legal. he had to put a huge motorcycle headlight, tail light, signal lights, mirrors and dot tires. it had to be a four stroke as the powers that be would not entertian a two stroke. it took him lots of bucks and two years of his time to get it done. he had to get a motorcycle mechanic to sign off on the bike saying it was road worthy. he even posted copies of the letters he sent to numerous departments using his pull as a cop to make it happen. i don't know what happened to the guys that got busted in court but i do know that they all got their bikes confiscated on the spot and never got them back. pops