confusing magneto problem

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
My friends bike got rained on and of course the mag was wet and shot....

Replaced it after letting bike sit in sun all day to dry everything out...

Bike ran fine, gave it back.......

He drops it off the next day w/ same problem.....

I didn't replace the magnet, could it fail???/ Didn't think a magnet could fail...

Am I missing something????

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Water will not hurt the rotor (magnet). Something else is wrong.

Check the wiring connections. Those kit supplied plug-in connectors should be discarded and the connections soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing. The kit connectors are notorious for bad electrical connections. The kit spark plug boot is also a constant source of trouble.

If the bike was exposed to rain there's also the possibility that there's water in the fuel. Drain the tank and carburetor and start with a new batch.

Let us know what you find.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
after getting wet, one sometimes finds that some cleaning/polishing is needed to get really good grounds again

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi, Tom is right about the connector's, they are best done away with & the wires soldered & heatshrink used (put heatshrink over 1 lead b4 soldering), or u can use those waterproof plug in type automotive joiners that have little compressable rubber grommets to seal out water. Also check that the kill switch isnt shorted by water or just shorted. U can epoxy seal the magneto's stator coil if u want, then it doesnt matter if moisture get in the mag housing. Doing the epoxying of the coil under a vacuum gives best results. Cheers