No spark, Please help!

GoldenMotor.com

gtk2012

May 20, 2013
Michigand
Hi, i'm new to the site and looking for help with my bike. Just put everything together last summer with my 66cc kit on a schwinn cruiser and it ran great. This spring i got it out of storage and now it will not spark. I tried replacing the cdi and it didnt fix the problem. The spark plug is NGK and isnt cracked or fouled. Could it be the magneto? I don't have the money to just keep buying parts so I'd greatly appreciate any insight.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a quick search of this forum will show a lot of info about wiring & testing of magneto with a $3 ohm meter

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The CDI seldom fails. Usually it's the magneto coil. A good magneto coil should read about 350 ohm across the black and blue wires.

This is how it's wired.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Hopefully you didn't ride or stored it in the rain/snow or allowed rain/water/snow to get onto the engine. If you did then the magneto coil maybe rusted and need replacing. Either case, as biknut stated, you can test it with a DDM (digital multimeter). You can buy one at Harbor Freight most of the time on sale for $4.99 and sometimes they give them away.

If it looks like this, it's probably no good:

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55150&stc=1&d=1369115586

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited: