Need help figuring out what to get

GoldenMotor.com

JStro

May 1, 2013
colorado
Hello,
I have been wanting to build a motorized bike for a while and have recently gotten enough money to do so. I must start by saying I am an absolute beginner at this in every sense of the word. So I am looking for some advice on what the best course of action would be on my first build. After looking high and low for any sort of comprehensive information regarding what would work best for the bike I already have I could find nothing so I'm posting on here.

When I purchased my bike recently, no one at any bike shop could help me figure out what would work best for an engine so I just got the mountain bike I wanted and figured I could work it out. The details of the bike are as follows. It has 29 inch wheels, which appears to be a bit of a problem for many engine kits. It has a 19 inch frame, which does not appears to be a problem for mounting purposes. It also has disc brakes, I have searched high and low for the best option to mount the chain and would like suggestions on which is the best. I have looked at the top hat sprockets which attach to the disc brake, as well as the jackshaft option.

I have pretty much no experience regarding this and would like some info on best engine kit suppliers as well as what gear I may need to adjust my kit to suit the bike I own.

I appreciate any feedback.

JStro

May 1, 2013
colorado
Also just to give you a bit more info. I am a musician and will be using this bike to haul around musical equipment for shows in a bike trailer. I live in Colorado so it is very hilly and I need something that won't have me straining to get up hills with the extra weight

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Welcome!

Since you have a 29", you're going to loose some torque compared to what the standard 26"ers have experienced. Your weight may have a big effect on performance as well. You mentioned you plan on lugging equipment in a trailer in hilly environs...you'll need plenty of torque. Also, I wouldn't necessarily put too much thought into a jack-shaft JUST YET. You're new to motorized bicycles; feel out what you've got before investing in that. In any case, I have no experience with jack-shafts, although I'm a bigger guy (280lbs), and have been discouraged from considering one. I have a 29er, and use a 56T sprocket (that'd be a 50T on a 26er). I get a respectable 25MPH out of it on flats, and can take reasonably steep hills either puttering up at about 12MPH or assisting at 20MPH. That's all with my usual load of about 30lbs in my backpack. So, without knowing your weight, it's hard to say.

JStro

May 1, 2013
colorado
Well with all equipment considered, amp, guitar, pedals, and so on, its probably fifty pounds plus the bike trailer it will be on. What would be a good option for better torque? Also I am an absolute beginner so I do not know much terminology. So try dumbing down much technical talk, or I'll be a bit lost in the dark. Is the sprocket you speak of installed on disc brakes? Also I am about 180lbs so our weight difference may allow me a bit more leniency on hauling equipment.

JStro

May 1, 2013
colorado
And if you have any solid links you could provide for fairly reputable sources that would carry all I need to get started it would help immensely. Again, being a noob at this all input is immensely appreciated.

JStro

May 1, 2013
colorado
I've been reading lots of reviews for online engine kits and while many are very positive, there seem to be many kits with problems such as weak chains, weak screws, and so on. I'm looking for a solid out of the box kit that will be reliable until I get my hand dirty and learn the ins and outs of the motor. And having just measure my bike, the pole that runs from under the seat down to the pedals is 14 inches so I do not know if that will effect which motor I should get. Also is there much of a power difference between 4 stroke and 2 stroke? Or is the only advantage not having to mix the fuel?

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Im a 2 stroke guy and I realy like them but if you are not mechianly inclined and dont want to tinker with the engine a lot and want something that is a little more solid out of the box Id sujest a 4 stroke like this http://www.bicycle-engines.com/4-Stroke-Engine-Kits/ but that said it wont matter what kit you get you will need to be ready to do things to it since every kit and every bike is diffrent. as far as your disk brakes idk what to tell you but I do know there are many people here that can help with that.

when it comes to these kits execpt to change the chains and many other things as you ride but if you are willing to go through what you will have to this hobby/ride will be well worth it in the long run.

JStro

May 1, 2013
colorado
I used to have a little two stroke tfr kinetic moped that I frikkin loved, but the engine compartment was too compact for me to work on it and when it crapped out I had to get rid of it. This motorized bicycle idea essentially came from desiring a more easily manageable engine and bike. So two stroke is good for me, I just don't know the power details and if a four stroke has more torque then its probably what I will need.

And yes it seems the top hat sprocket will best suit my needs but I want a sprocket a bit larger than the ones I see being advertised since my bike is a 29 incher.

Last edited:

JStro

May 1, 2013
colorado
Anyone else with some info? I'm waiting til I get some comprehensive info to make a purchase but I'm getting antsy.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Your chosen bike looks too small for a 4 stroke and a tight fit for a 2 stroke.
There is no out of the box kit that doesn't need modifying.

I am wondering if the bike pictured is smaller than the 19" frame he is riding? It sure looks so...

I would agree with you, there isn't a cheap kit (two stroke kit) that I know of that is solid right out of the box. They all suffer from roughly the same weakness, weak chain, poor tensioner, crappy plug wire and boot, crappy studs and other hardware. The good news is all that stuff shouldn't cost more than $30 or $40 bucks to replace with much higher quality parts. That said, there is still gonna be a pretty steep learning curve for a new builder, and it will likely take some time for you to figure everything out and make a 2-stroke reliable. I had a he11 of a time the first month, went through chains, tensioner, plug boots, things loosening up constantly. I got most of that figured out and dialed in the first month, at the end of the first season I pulled the whole bike apart and rebuilt it with a stud/hardware upgrade kit and using loctite on critical nuts. The next season I rode the entire summer without wrenching on the bike, so I didn't break her down last winter, she fired right up this year and I am still riding, no wrenching. 'bout 2,000 miles or so now...
I'm about 220lbs, I don't really haul anything besides hauling ass! .shft. lol I really enjoy my 2-stroke, but I have never depended on it for transportation or anything, its been a hobby and recreation for me. Reading your initial post and the scenario you have presented if I were you I think I would go with a 4 stroke if possible, cause I think a good 4-stroke will be more dependable and capable of taking you where you're going when you want to go there....

JStro

May 1, 2013
colorado
Yes I've measured out the dimensions on my bike and read up on the dimensions on the engines and I know for at least a two stroke there will be no issue fitting in the frame. I'll have to look up 4 stroke dimensions for my frame. There is actually a guy down the street from me who is insanely knowledgeable on these sorts of things, and for at least the initial install I plan on tossing him some cash so I'm not worried about a shoddy install. Then I will learn the ins and outs of the bike from there. So with disc brakes is the top hat sprocket probably the best bet for initial install? Also is kings motorbikes the cheapest place to get a 56t sprocket?