The ongoing No Spark question

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
The Huff Berry bike has not yet started up.
1. the plug cap fell apart
2. I bought a new wire and cap and still no spark
3. I bought a new CDI box with wire and cap and I still have no spark.
I have a red & yellow striped wire and a green wire coming from the kill switch both plugged into the green lead from the CDI.
I have a black wire and a blue wire from the motor both plugged into a black wire from the CDI.
I have a white wire from the motor grounded to the motor mount.
This is the way the so called manual says to do it and it is the way I have done it in the past with other bikes. I am not looking for rude responses about rocket science or brain surgery I just want some help before I throw any more money at this thing.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Grounding the white wire to the motor mount???? You realize you're directly shorting out your magneto coil?

You need is unhook the white wire and tape it off. It might start after that. If not next you need to ohm out the magneto coil between the black and blue wire to check if your magneto coil is any good. You should be reading about 350 ohm.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The white wire in some manuals is actually used to wire the kill switch, if you short that wire to ground (if it touches any metal anywhere) it WILL kill your spark. Make sure your white wire is isolated, if that doesn't do the trick then disconnect the kill switch temporarily, they have been known to fail (and be always shorted when they should be open unless you push the button)

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
On 2 of these bikes I have grounded the white wire to the engine mount and my instruction book says the white wire is ground. BTW what is OHM out the coil?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
On 2 of these bikes I have grounded the white wire to the engine mount and my instruction book says the white wire is ground. BTW what is OHM out the coil?
Never seen or heard of that, guess its not impossible, but...
Use the black and blue for the CDI and isolate the white and see if she runs...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/Magneto Mystery.html

The above link will give you lots of info on the CDI, including the expected resistance of the different windings of the coil. Its from Grubee, but they are all pretty much the same on these HT motors.

PS I see you are asking what is "ohm out" the coil, they are telling you to measure the resistance of the coil windings, and compare to the expected value from the link above. IMHO you should just isolate the white wire and see if she runs.....

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Are you sure the manual isn't saying put the white wire to the kill switch and the other lead of the kill switch to ground? That is how some manuals recommend wiring the kill switch....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First thing I'd do is throw that instruction manual in the trash. It probably also tells you to use a 16:1 oil ratio and just finger tighten the spark plug. The books/manuals that come with many kits do nothing but cause problems for a new builder. They are one of the reasons this forum exists.

You say you've wired bikes prior to this one and wired them as per the first post in this thread. Sir, I'll have to tell you, and it's not just my opinion, it will never work.

I'm a little concerned where you say "the green wire from the CDI". I've been around for a while and I've yet to see a CDI with a green wire. Where did you get yours? Is it made for a Chinese 2 stroke bicycle engine or a replacement for another type of engine?

There should be only three colors or wire from the engine (magneto) and the CDI. There should be a blue and a black and a white from the engine. Forget that white wire. Wrap it so it can not touch anything. Wire the blue from the engine to the blue from the CDI. Wire the black from the engine to the black from the CDI. Leave the kill switch disconnnected until you test to see if the engine will run.

After the engine runs take the two wires from the kill switch, the colors mean absolutely nothing, and splice them into the blue and black wires you've already spliced.

That is the correct way to wire your engine. If you want to insist that your manual is correct and you want to follow it, please by my guest but be prepared to do a lot of pedaling because your engine will never run.

Tom