Anyone try this light or have opinion??? 15-watt LED headlight, 1200 lumens, $23

GoldenMotor.com

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310568041747

15 watt led headlight, supposedly 1,200 lumens. I believe it if it's really 15 watts. I was thinking of adding this to an led truck fog light that I am currently using as a high beam for night rides. I have a 12-volt battery on my bike capable of powering a 55-watt halogen bulb. Anyone have experience, mounting ideas or a link to a better led light for under $25, NOT shipped from china? (I hate waiting 3-6 weeks for my stuff) I plan on ordering this sunday to try it out.

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
Wow! I haven't seen that one yet. Being waterproof, I expect it would be better than some of the others. Where you have a battery, go for it and please let us know the results. The mount looks very strong.

Scrollerguy

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
I've been looking at these, except the 12v version!

I plan on running two, each with it's own one of these 12v batteries

http://www.all-battery.com/12v2000mahflatnimhbatterypackforairsoftgun11621.aspx

the batteries are small enough to fit in the little leather "tool" pouch i have, and should get upwards of 3 hours life each.... i think. i forgot... i did the calculations last night while also adding a 12v 1w red LED for rear lighting.

but it's gonna be about 2 months before i get into this kind of stuff...
still gotta replace my busted china girl with a 4stroke 4g.

so hopefully you'll have a review for us by then!

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I believe you cold get away a single battery pack with the addition of a 12-bottle generator to trickle-charge ;)

Actually, I gave up on battery packs. The specs of the light are misleading. The Cree LED is a 3.4 volt LED that will happily run at 4+ volts with proper precaution.

I would recommend to re-wire the unit for max efficiency. I expect these have some resitors or regulators inside, so re-wire the LEDS in to parallel and feed them with a 6-v HUB generator. Add a capacitor to smooth out the pulses. But really, check into gutting the wiring so that EVERY bit of amperage is applied to the LED. (no retifier, no regulator). The cree can be over-volted in pulses.

Trust me. I run Cree LEDs this way. massive amounts of light, no batteries to fiddle with. Cree LED's RULE!

I've been looking at these, except the 12v version!

I plan on running two, each with it's own one of these 12v batteries

http://www.all-battery.com/12v2000mahflatnimhbatterypackforairsoftgun11621.aspx

the batteries are small enough to fit in the little leather "tool" pouch i have, and should get upwards of 3 hours life each.... i think. i forgot... i did the calculations last night while also adding a 12v 1w red LED for rear lighting.

but it's gonna be about 2 months before i get into this kind of stuff...
still gotta replace my busted china girl with a 4stroke 4g.

so hopefully you'll have a review for us by then!

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Something about the ramp-up time of the heat that the light is producing as a byproduct can be dissipated fast enough for you to directly wire a cree LED to an AC hub or bottle generator without damaging it. Cruising speed for me is 40 mph with a sturmey archer 6-v hub gen. Crees holding up for well over 2000 miles in this config

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I was thinking about using an 18v drill battery from my Ryobi set and one of these lights from ebay on my bike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310601458115?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

The light says it will work from 9 to 60 volts.

I have 2 of the Ryobi flashlighs, so I was going to cut one of those up and use the snap in part for the battery to wire to the light and tail lights on the bike. I am going to mount this battery setup in a 50 cal. military ammo box that I am going to use as a saddlebag of sorts.

Last edited: