Run what ya brung!

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Since there seem's to be some debate on classes and such at the races being held in Southern California and racers down-sizing in engine size for whatever reason :confused:, I think it's time to go back to square one and start over.

By this I mean bring your motorized bike to the track and RACE it! That would be going back to the origin of the death race and run what the heck ya built and race it against everybody else.

Since the race scene doesn't seem to be growing at all (for whatever reason), we should just bring our bikes to the track and race against what and who ever is there to race against.

It's simple. If there are 75 racers, have three races of 25 and race by process of elimination. The fastest 15 racers (5 fastest from the three or six races if time permits) go to the finals and see just who is the fastest.

Any questions? Or comments from the actual racers (that race)?

brnot

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's the way Go Carts used to be before the factory teams ruined everything. No one could compete against them so they started making classes with horsepower/weight/displacement/tire/fuel and whatever else, rules.

Run-What-ya Brung works until someone decides to start throwing money at the races or sanctioning organizations get into the act. Pure racing the way it was supposed to be.

Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think having different engine (& skill) classes is the only thing thats going to keep the smaller racers coming out to join us.
I'm sure it's no fun when someones little 49cc 4-stroke is getting blown off the track by the 'monster bikes'.
(He at least has a chance of winning while racing against other 49cc 4-strokes).

As it is right now, I have a pretty fast bike, but I know I have very little chance of winning against the Arrow team unless I lose 60 lbs & risk hurting myself by stepping up my riding style a whole lot!

Don't get me wrong... I personally have tons of fun & I really enjoy seeing everyone; but I can also see how it would start to be a drag for a lot of racers knowing that they're totally 'out gunned' & are never going to come close to winning. :(

That's why I think it's important to our little sport to have different classes. :)

*edit* I do believe that the top finishing racers from each class should 'bump up' & be allowed to race in the next faster race, (just to try their luck)! (^)

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Why not keep the different classes, and then have a special race last, for the run what you brung crowd. That would be like the GP class

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Why not keep the different classes, and then have a special race last, for the run what you brung crowd. That would be like the GP class
That's a pretty good idea except for one thing.......most of the riders peter out by 2:30 and take off for home. People just don't stick around for the prize ceremonies and drag racing or even the ultimate race (the fastest of all the classes combined), they just don't. I know this because I'm always one of the last to leave at these races.

dnut

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
75 racers? more like 25.

i wanted to run everyone together at my last adams race and still give seperate "class" trophies, but there was only a few that were up for it.

i have no idea how to get more riders to show up. no matter who's running it or where, less and less people show up. for me, it's just not worth the hassle, so i'm over racing altogether.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Baird, you should change your signature then. ;)
December 8th, 2013 Race at Adams is NOT CANCELLED?

We've seen 75 racers at a few events, but the numbers have not increased for some reason or other. The die-hards will always be there because the fun and competition is always there. Serious or not, racing motorized bicycles is a blast, no matter what skill level you're at! I have a hard time believing I won't see Baird at another race......it just wouldn't be natural.

See you guys in the pits........;)

dnut #3