Support the cause in Wausau, WI

GoldenMotor.com

Willy P.

Apr 4, 2011
Wausau, WI
I talked to the city attorney today about the legality of mb's in Wausau, WI. The current law is as follows

10 - 30
Chapter 10.42
MINI-BIKES
Sections:
10.42.010 Definitions.
10.42.020 Provisions for mini-bike operation.
10.42.030 Penalties.
10.42.010 Definitions. (a) AFermented malt beverages@ has the meaning designated in
Section 125.02(6) of the Wisconsin Statutes.
(b) AIntoxicating liquor@ has the meaning designated in Section 125.02(8) of the
Wisconsin Statutes.
(c) AMini-bike@ means any self-propelled device primarily used for transportation or
sport including, but not limited to, motorcycles, go-carts, motorized bicycles, off-the-road trail bikes
and all-terrain vehicles.
(d) ANarcotic drug@ has the meaning designated in Section 961.01(15) of the Wisconsin
Statutes. (Ord. 61-4239 '1(part), 1973.)
10.42.020 Provisions for mini-bike operation. No person shall operate a mini-bike in the
city in the following manner:
(a) At a rate of speed that is unreasonable or improper under the circumstances;
(b) In any careless way so as to endanger the person or property of another;
(c) While under the influence of intoxicating liquor, fermented malt beverages, narcotics
or other controlled substances;
(d) In such a way that the exhaust of the motor makes an excessive or unusual noise;
(e) Without a functioning muffler;
(f) On the private property of another without the consent of the owner or lessee. Failure
to post private property does not imply consent for use. Any other motor-driven craft or vehicle
principally manufactured for off-highway use shall at all times have the consent of the owner before
operation of such craft or vehicle on private lands;
(g) During the time period of one hour after sunset to sunrise, as reported by the United
States Weather Service for the day in question; Wausau Municipal Code
10 - 31
(h) On a slide, ski or skating area, except for the purpose of serving the area, crossing at
places where marked or after stopping and yielding the right-of-way to any person;
(i) On or across a cemetery, burial ground, school or church property, without the
consent of the owner;
(j) On the lands of an operating airport or landing facility, except for personnel in
performance of their duties or with consent;
(k) On any lands, operated or leased by the city of Wausau;
(l) Upon any public right-of-way within the city, and specifically including sidewalks,
boulevards and traveled portions of right-of-way. (Ord. 61-4587 '1, 1986; Ord. 61-4239 '1 (part),
1973.)
10.42.030 Penalties. Section 1.01.110 shall be the penalty section for violations of this
chapter. (Ord. 61-4239 '1(part), 1973.)

I received a ticket following an accident and now am facing the damages to her car after she ran a stop sign because I was riding an illegal "mini bike" in the city.....
I called the city attorney and she told me to wait because there will be a meeting in two weeks to discuss the standings of the law regaurding mini bikes. THATS TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!!! May 26th at city hall 5:30 sharp. I am trying to get anyone within reasonable distance of wausau to come stand with us as fellow Motor Folk and support the cause at the meeting. I hope I get some help here because 2 is nice but 10 is better. Hopefully you'll contact me or show up if your nearby but if not I still Appreciate having the site behind me. I will be taking any reasonable comments anyone has to make with me to show support from across the state and the nation.

Thanks all,

William P. Schultz

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Please review the WI. Laws that happyvalley posted link to, in general WI is viewed as rather well informed as to what an mb is and law concerning use.
I think your dead on to call for fellow rider support. I will try and make it up there to lend my weight to the cause. However we need to be clear as to what your protesting about?
Need more info : do you have a WI dl in good standing?, what exactily was ticket for?,are there witnesses besides partys involved? ,so please give full account of what transpired.
I ride in WI all summer long ,having grown up in columbus, I feel that WI is my home state ,as such I am extremly concerned with preserving our rights to ride freely and legaly . So count me in for whatever I can do.

Reed

Mar 13, 2011
Wausau, WI
Please review the WI. Laws that happyvalley posted link to, in general WI is viewed as rather well informed as to what an mb is and law concerning use.
I think your dead on to call for fellow rider support. I will try and make it up there to lend my weight to the cause. However we need to be clear as to what your protesting about?
Need more info : do you have a WI dl in good standing?, what exactily was ticket for?,are there witnesses besides partys involved? ,so please give full account of what transpired.
I ride in WI all summer long ,having grown up in columbus, I feel that WI is my home state ,as such I am extremly concerned with preserving our rights to ride freely and legaly . So count me in for whatever I can do.
He was ticketed for driving a Mini-bike in a public right-of-way(the street).
You can read the full story here: http://motorbicycling.com/f14/beginning-bang-29592.html#post282677

We are simply asking the council to amend Provision 10.42.020(l) to say:
"(l) Upon any public right-of-way within the city, and specifically including sidewalks, boulevards and traveled portions of right-of-way unless such vehicle is licensed and registered as required by Ch. 341, Wis. Stats., and its operation and operator are specifically permitted to operate the vehicle by the Wisconsin Statutes."

All of the surrounding communities--except for one that does not regulate motor bicycles--exclude vehicles that are permitted to operate under Ch. 341. from the "Minibike" ban.

Last edited:

Reed

Mar 13, 2011
Wausau, WI
Just wondering thakns.
If I recall right there is a WI state law against any city make an ord. That countermands state law? If so theres a good press. For a challenge. Just thinking in type...
The statutes do give cities and villages the ability to regulate motor bicycles, so the ordinance is completely legal.

If they don't want us in traffic, perhaps we can get them to make a motor bicycle lane! laff

Willy P.

Apr 4, 2011
Wausau, WI
Thanks reed for staying up on the thread... I have been slacking (busy with the city attorneys office, the insurance company, my local bike shop, the police department, and overtime at work.... rough couple of weeks) My driving record is not spotless which makes me a rough person to put in the forefront, but my license is good and was abiding by all state laws pertaining to mb's.

I was riding down a semi-busy street in downtown wausau in the right hand lane off to the side as I always like to avoid impeding traffic. I was going aprox 25-28 slowing down for a turn when she ran the stop sign directly in front of me. I locked up the brakes she stopped right in the middle of the intersection and attempted to turn away from me. I slid about 15 feet trying to turn but with the coaster locked up it just wanted to slide out. I figured it would be better to take the hit as slow as I could straight into her instead of risking ending up underneath her. I hit the door pannel as you can see in that link my brother posted and messed up the front end of the bike pretty bad. The people who were for better or worse standing in front of the bar on the corner (HA) said she completely ran it but I have no real evidence to say she didn't stop so much as just not see me.
The cop wrote me the ticket for the above Wausau City Ordinance 10.42.020. This law also clearly states that mb's as well as motorcycles are illegal on all public right of ways. that is why this will be a topic at this public safety meeting because of the unclear intentions of the law. What I am worried about is that motor bicyclist will be over looked if no one is there to represent our view at the meeting. I don't want Wausau to be one of the only places if not the only place in Wisconsin you cant ride.

Willy P.

Apr 4, 2011
Wausau, WI
oh and thank you happyvalley. Yes, I have and have also done my own research to make sure there have not been any significant changes since that was accumulated especially since that link regards to laws in 2005-2006. I can honestly say for anyone wondering.... not much has changed.

Willy P.

Apr 4, 2011
Wausau, WI
I went to court ..... I went to my pretrial..... I am still looking at going to an actual judge trial if the law doesn't change soon..... The city council keeps pushing it back and I won't know for sure until they actually meet on it..... they are making things very difficult for me

Reed

Mar 13, 2011
Wausau, WI
Figured I'd revive this and give a quick update on Wausau:

Will and I attended the Parking and Traffic Committee's October meeting where the motorized bicycle law was discussed. A majority of the board members seemed to be in favor of legalizing them. :D

They said they would have the city attorney prepare a draft ordinance for discussion at the meeting on November 17th...Unfortunately, neither of us could make the meeting. The Parking and Traffic Committee has not published any minutes since July, so we have no idea what happened. :rolleyes:

The next meeting will be on Dec. 15.

This started in May...going on 7 months now...gotta love bureaucracy.