not legal in Moline Illinois

GoldenMotor.com

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
i just got off the phone with state police officer,he said it is totally illegal to have 49cc motor on a bicycle...he was a real jerk..i tryed to explain to him about this law act 625 ILCS 5/11-1516 he just argued with me & said can not operate on the road without proper registration etc...so i deside that around here they are going to be real A**es..so i'm tearing mine down & putting it in a box...thats it for me
:-||

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
i just got off the phone with state police officer,he said it is totally illegal to have 49cc motor on a bicycle...he was a real jerk..i tryed to explain to him about this law act 625 ILCS 5/11-1516 he just argued with me & said can not operate on the road without proper registration etc...so i deside that around here they are going to be real A**es..so i'm tearing mine down & putting it in a box...thats it for me
I'm sure I have seen posts from riders in Illinos, so im not so sure about that, you may want to double check before throwing in the towell. A city cant enact a law that is in conflict with a state law. Plus, hes not a judge.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Police officers and officials from time to time can be wrong. Look through the history of threads on the IL law here, I think you will find enough info to understand it's legal, and the Sec of State or a judge would agree with you if it came down to that...

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
You know, I live out in the Boonies and get away with riding down the highway with mine, but over the Summer I met a guy who built one of these bikes and supposedly, according to him, Michigan law states that a motorized bike must have a sticker on it, like an ORV sticker.

Anyhow, he wanted to make his legal, so he had to put a headlight, taillight, blinkers, and a brake light on it. So at least there is a fix for your bike, IF you wanted to go "legal."

I, on the other hand, will continue to ride down the center of the highway when no cars are present, because.......that's what I do! I've had many different cops, state and local, pass me when I'm going down the road at full throttle and have yet to be pulled over.

IF you have to go legal, putting that stuff on your bike shouldn't be that big of a deal, if you can do a little jimmy-rigging.

.wee.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I have always found those most ignorant of the law, are those paid to uphold it. cops are not taught the law.

Last edited by a moderator:

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
yeah you all are right,i'm not about to give up going to check out some legal advise...thanks for your input.seems this cop wants to write the law the way he wants it

bigrskip

Jul 1, 2012
Kansas
local cop here almost said go ahead and ride it till he got to the last page of city ordinance an it stated in no uncertain terms no motorized bicycles, moped, gokarts allowed on city streets or alleys here it is a 50 dollar fine and 50 dollar court cost the first time! GOOD LUCK

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i heard that there is a national law that was passed about engines under 50cc to get rid of gopeds from the streets but i haven't found anything to support it

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
Keep voting those dems in and this what you get. Hate to say it but is true. Here in sc we dont even have car inspections. Our air is clean and we ride free. The cops are good ole boys and they admire a good bike build.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i heard that there is a national law that was passed about engines under 50cc to get rid of gopeds from the streets but i haven't found anything to support it

there have been quite a few people killed and hospitalized because of gopeds most having to do with getting hit with cars i want to know if anyone has seen this peace of legislation?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Keep voting those dems in and this what you get. Hate to say it but is true. Here in sc we dont even have car inspections. Our air is clean and we ride free. The cops are good ole boys and they admire a good bike build.

That's funny! The republicans are in such bad shape, they are even bad rapping there own for making foot in the mouth statements, and acting like fools.

Or like Lush Rumball says, if Romney can't beat Obama, then the Republican party needs to be dis-banded.

But last I checked, motorized bike laws aren't about who the bigger idiot in charge is. .duh.

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
well heres the scoop...i'm selling my kit,the cops arent going to leave me alone...there has been cop cars posted at both ends of my street every morning & through out the day...i'm not going to fight this because i have another legal matter with the state of Illinois going.so with that said i will post picture & list my kit w all accessories in swap & shop...i have got to say i have really enjoyed this forum there is so much info & really decent people willing to help with problems....keep it going...i may be back...lol
peace
Chop

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Porkchop

As a fellow Illinois rider and someone who visits moline often I am saddened to hear you are throwing the towel. I had one town cop wave me down and ask me what it was I was riding? Pulled the law out of my tool bag and then he proceeded to look it up on his little computer as well. He said all was good and have a great day and enjoy the ride. Cops are not legal scholars...and in this particular matter I am more informed in what the actual law is then he was. To him, it just looked like and unlicensed moped which it is NOT. So it was up to me to point him to the right information in a friendly and respectful manner. The law is the law and if you know that you are 100% on the right side of the law....then your rights are being violated if they haul you in. Sounds to me like you just happen to stumble across a couple prik cops who make there own laws which really gives all the good cops here in Illinois a bad name.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Cops aren't Judges even though they probably wish they were. All they can do is enforce existing laws. Judges interpret those existing laws. If there is no law specifically mentioning "motorized bicycles" then they are legal until such a law exists outlawing them. It's that simple

Cops will try to lump MB's in with real motorcycles thus making them illegal for all kinds of reasons. So get that box off the shelf and mount that engine!
dance1

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
There is no Federal law or statute that exists that specifically mentions gas- powered motorized bicycles. If one does exist, show me a URL and I'll go out in my front yard and eat a handful of dirt. brnot

Pedalman

Aug 27, 2009
IL
well heres the scoop...i'm selling my kit,the cops arent going to leave me alone...there has been cop cars posted at both ends of my street every morning & through out the day...i'm not going to fight this because i have another legal matter with the state of Illinois going.so with that said i will post picture & list my kit w all accessories in swap & shop...i have got to say i have really enjoyed this forum there is so much info & really decent people willing to help with problems....keep it going...i may be back...lol
peace
Chop
Ride your bike with your motor off past, if they ask your motor is broken, keep pedaling a distance enough away before starting....no law says you can't ride a bike with a broken motor on it? Your just riding your bike minding your business.....

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
peace
Chop
Go electric. Yes it's expensive and has limited range but it is dead silent and nearly invisible to the untrained eye.