Tandem bike touring ideas.

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'm thinkin you could mount a HT on the back seat tube and use a jackshaft down to the sprocket just remove the peddles from the back seat. You would have all kinds of room then to mount pannier bags for camping gear ect. I been looking at cargo bikes and some of them are extended in the back for just this purpose. This bike looks just perfect to do that with & it's only $100

So does anyone see any problem using the back passenger's drive gear with a jackshaft setup?

I took a closer look at this bike it looks to have the sprocket from the drivers chain set on the left side of the bike already...guess that don't need a jackshaft then does it? Just thinkin outside the box here for a second but I'm wonderin if a fellah couldn't just go with a chain by-passing the rear passenger's sprocket and mount a single speed gear on the left side of the tire with a rag joint so the HT could just go direct to the passenger left side sprocket and use the bike's gears like a jack shaft setup does? I know it might require a roller like a tensioner from a HT kit to have clearance around the sprocket but I am open to my idea being shot down. I think a small sprocket from an old derailer would work to suspend the chain away from the back sprocket.

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am thinking of making a tandem electric bicycle for me and the wife to ride around. or friends when visiting. i have rented pedal ones at the beach and they are great fun

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
They really are I remember a family having one down the street from us growing up it was a blast! I'm thinkin about getting one to try to get my wife interested in bikes...we both need the exercise but that's a fall project too dang hot & muggy out right now.