schwinn frame help needed

GoldenMotor.com

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
Hi All

I picked up an old Schwinn frame that I would love to use,and I have a
few questions .

1. Will it be stong enouth to handle a 99 cc preditor?

2. I have a 1 1/8" treadless fork that I would like to use, is there an adapter
you can buy or do you modify your 1 1/8" head set, it looks like I would need to remove about .060 off the ID of my old head set.

3. I will need to spread the rear drop outs out about 1 1/8" . Do you heat
the frame to bed it or pull it cold? Are there any tricks ?

Thanks for the help Bill

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Have you checked the year? You can do this by copying the serial# from the bottom bracket, and then googling it, I believe Sheldon Brown wrote a whole article on this, usually the letter, or first number denotes year, then mo.....
Point is, IS IT A CHICAGO SCHWINN, REAL STEEL OR CHINA BUNK?
EITHER WAY I WOULD SUGGEST GUSSETS AND OTHER STRUCTURAL SUPPORTS WELDED IN.

the stretching can be done cold with a piece of " 3/8" all thread" the appropriate nuts and a couple washers.
Put the nuts to the center of the all thread with the washers to the outside. Slip this into the rear dropouts, slide washers against dropouts, bring nuts to washers (he he) finger tight.
This is where I usually make up some cockamaimy scheme to measure and keep this all straight, HOWEVER, if you do an even amount of turns on either nut, it SHOULD keep spreading the frame evenly.
You will have to bend out aprox' 15-30* beyond your mark to account for "spring-back" or the "memory" of the steel.

...hope this helps, keep us posted, pm me if you have questions or contact one of the moderators....they're like Albert Bikestein's all knowing, and Yoda like.

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
The frame is a 1975 , I had my daughter pickit up in California for off Craigs list for $20.00 .

I will be adding gussets to the frame and the rear drop outs will be changed
so you can silde the tire on from the rear. I will make a fixture to hold the frame so I can measure as I bend.

I was thinking of removing alittle material from inside the head tube and
alittle off the Od of the headset do you think this will work?

Thanks Bill

Adama

Feb 5, 2011
Sacramento
Take a look at The Retor Ryder Headset by Genuine Bicycle Products. It allows you to use a 1 1/8” non-tapered fork in an older bike that uses a 1” threaded headset like the older Schwinn’s. You will have to check your head tube as it will only work if the inside diameter is 30mm. I ordered one and install a Suntour XCR suspension fork onto an old Schwinn Typhoon last week that I’m building.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
You can put a 1 1/8 th fork on a old schwinn. I did it mixing head sets and bearings and modifying the cups . Google your question and you will find some good info on it .

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
whats up bill, tom here from chicago. in my opinion, 1 yes that frame will hold up, especially if most of the china ones are, 2. anything is possible, but your looking at some serious modifcations to make a bigger fork work. id just go with a 1 " threaded, and 3 why do u need to spread the dropouts? im gueussing your running a geared wheel on a single speed, i wouldnt recomend spreading the frame that much. youll stress the frame and then it wont be holding up too long with a motor. if anything your better off cutting and rewelding. thats just my opinion, however listen to these guys cause i learn things i never knew all the time on here. have a great day by the way.....

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
The frame should be fine with that motor . I gusset all my frames and weld the two bars to the seat post tube top and bottom . I spread all my frames apart cold never had a issue doing it this way .My last Schwinn i built has a 5 horse briggs in it , that motor is a little bigger size wise then what you plan on putting in yours.