Motorizing my first bike

GoldenMotor.com

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
I am looking to motorize my first bike for general commuting and play. I am kind of a speed/power freak like most people here. I have no problem spending the money on a Morini engine but wanted to ask what my other options are for higher quality engines since most everything I have read about on here is based around the china girls and what not. I did find the pit bike/pocket bike engines such as the Banshee engines that can put out 10+ hp with ease at around 15-20k rpms depending on brand and quality. Would prefer to stick with the Morini since I wouldn't have to deal with gearing as much. The bike I have right now is a babied 05' Klein Palomino with all the fixings. Very high end frame in its day. The geometry is a bit different then most and I am worried about fitment. A new frame might be in order. What do you think??

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
i assume the need for a turned out intake and what not. I wish the morini didn't have a center exhaust port. makes things more difficult

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A China girl motor certainly wouldn't fit. I have no experience with Morinis.
The Palomino, with VPP rear suspension, was easily one of the most expensive and desireable mountain bikes of its day. For that reason, I think a souped up pocket rocket engine with a rack mount kit from a vendor like Staton would be best. You could enjoy a fast motorbike and still prevent damage to that rare Klein frame. Just the personal opinion of a long time mountain biker.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I'm still waiting to build mine (kit gets here tuesday) But from what I have learned, you'll need to put a rear rack on the bike and mount the motor there. The main reason being is that when the rear wheel moves because of the suspension, tension on the chain will be lost and may fall off a lot. There may be ways around it but that's the biggest deturrent from using full suspension

If you used a (preferrably steel if it's gonna be pushed hard over jumps and speed) typical front suspension mountain bike with disc brakes and a jackshaft then I think you'll be goin crazy fast with a morini motor. Jack shaft or a shift kit is something to look into.

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
is the reason the boxer is successful because of the geometry of the rear fork? it is inline with the front sprocket