Planning a trip

GoldenMotor.com

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I plan on taking a vacation to South Bend, Indiana, which is only about 5 miles from the Indiana-Michigan state line. As you could assume, posting here, I hope to take my MB with me. I'm a North Carolina resident, and believe my bike complies with all, or at least most regulations here (or will once I get a lighting system on it). As of now, my bike is the following:
  • 48 cc BoyGoFast engine (no labels or identifying markings on it)
  • front reflector
  • rear reflector
  • no horn
  • no lights (which I will try and get remedied before my trip)
  • no mirrors
  • unregistered
  • uninsured
  • top speed of about 30 MPH
  • no speedometer, or any other instrumentation
I am 21, have a full and valid NC drivers license, and wear a 3/4 DOT approved helmet (it's between a 'skid lid' and a full face helmet) at all times. Down here, I've had no issues with my local police force.

I've reviewed several posts in this section of the forum trying to discern the legality and rules for the South Bend area, and believe that my bike will not draw notable attention from law enforcement, or if it does, will be meeting all applicable rules. I'm just wanting someone to help me determine if that is correct.

One of the things that I have some slight concern with is that I believe in MI, registration is required, which it is not here in NC. If this is the case, is the fact that I am only visiting South Bend, not even visiting in MI, and am a resident of NC, cause me to have any issues with being forced to register my bike while there, or have my ride impounded for not having it registered in MI? I think it would be silly if that were the case, but people are silly creatures. I mean look at us, we're strapping engines to our bicycles!

Any way, if there are other potential concerns I should be aware of, please let me know so that I may attempt to figure things out.

Thanks!
Spaz

[edit] As a note, I will be driving my car with my bike within it, not riding my bike the nearly 800 miles to South Bend (out of curiosity, I did the math and it came to about 26.7 hours of straight riding, not counting rest breaks and refueling.)
[edit2] Added "no mirrors" to my list.

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
you need to have front & rear lights. even though i'm in florida. i have lived in several places & cops do ticket if riding @ night w/o lights.

get a speedometer. i have had a cop follow me almost 2 miles. i made shure i didn't go above 20mph. you KNOW he is checking your speed.

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Yeah, generally one of the reasons I avoid riding at night, the other is it's just flat out not safe if you don't have lights. I've also considered getting a speedometer, guess I'll add it to my todo list.

[edit] and some sort of mirror. It's kind of annoying to have to keep checking over your shoulder to see if someone is there, and startling when you see a car about 5 feet from you.