Racing Improves the Breed

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey guys,
Been hanging low lately just trying to get some things done out in the shop, but I thought I should take a moment to share a couple pictures from the Willow Springs races.

Here is a picture of Skip flogging one of the Sportsman Racers around the track. I found out with our gearing that a nice street set-up is slow on the track! Can't win them all, but hey, at least we looked good! I must say, though, that Skip can seriously kick my ass on a race track. This guy can ride a bike. Nice lean angle, Skip!

Race Weekend by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Another shot of the bike sitting still. This one has a raw finish and will be used for R&D purposes. This bike finished 2nd in the bike show. Who needs paint when you have scotch brite pads and WD-40 laying around the shop. Paint is so over rated........

DSC_0021 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

This next bike is being called Racer X around the shop. I have started giving all the prototypes the "X" designation in their serial numbers and this is the first Racer model we built. It belongs to my brother and he won 1st place in the bike show! Well actually he didn't win, his bike did. He couldn't make the race and I hauled the thing down there so I told him I'm keeping the prize, a complete Grubee kit from Piston Bikes. Rich, if you want the engine kit just kick down the $165 I spent in gas getting there and back!

Racer X for Prototype by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

One final parting shot. These bikes belong to Doug713 and he did an amazing job building them up. Every inch of these bikes are perfect. Heck, he even made custom brackets to mount the number plates! Very nice builds, Doug, very nice........

DSC_0020 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
those are some great looking bikes, pat. i know we were talking about me running one, and i bet you're glad i didn't. if i laid one of yours down as much as i did mine, you woulda needed a lot more than scotchbrite pads to clean it up...:)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
those are some great looking bikes, pat. i know we were talking about me running one, and i bet you're glad i didn't. if i laid one of yours down as much as i did mine, you woulda needed a lot more than scotchbrite pads to clean it up...:)
Hi Bairdco,
We talked about you being a factory rider and I even brought three bikes. We were having clutch issues with the Morini's and it's a learning curve for sure. The Red bike had a clutch vibration problem after testing on Friday so it became the pit queen and Racer X was put into action. That left two bikes. After moring practice on Saturday the Blue bike decided it didn't want to race as it wouldn't fire back up. So that left my bike and Skip as the faster rider and he took it out during the races.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
So those Hank tires did pretty well at the track? I've been curious how they do, as sticky as they are on dry streets. I've never pushed them as hard as they deserve!
Hi Aleman,
Tires Worked great. That is one area we had no problems. I ran them all at 45 psi and they were a none issue. I even saw Skip cranked over so hard in a corner he got a two wheel drift going on. Me, I would have backed off. Not Skip, he didn't even flinch, just powered right on through and kept going. After the race he asked if I saw the drift and mentioned the tires were amazing. Very predictable. A controlled drift is better than laying the bike down any day. Hey Baird, maybe you need better tires!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I learned a lot from that first race!! I learned that I need a lighter, more powerful bike to get my fat a$$ around that track! laff

I have plans for a whole new BMX racer... I'm gonna start with a aluminum OM Flyer. (if the engine will fit.) ;)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Well Pat, how fast were you guys going?
I took off the speedo before the race so I don't know exactly. I had the silver bike up to 48 mph before the race with a 38t rear sprocket. I backed off as I only had a tee shirt on and no leather jacket. We ran the race with a 45t rear but it was still not big enough. Had 52t's on order for the race but they didn't make it in time.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
it wasn't the tires, it was me. I was pushing way too hard. sure woulda been bummed if I laid yours down.
Had that happened I would have accepted it and been more worried about you. Since I built most everything on the bike I can always build more. You on the other hand, well I am all out of Bairdco replacement parts right now!

By the way, I may take that motor I won in the bike show and build up a China engine on the same stretch platform as the Racer. When I find some time........

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
The motor that you won? I thougt it was the blue bike, my bike, that won the beauty contest.
The motor that YOU won and I'm keeping! I told you that you should have been there! The only problem with entering your blue bike in the show was that it kept my raw finished Racer from winning 1st.
Pat