Denver area ride II

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's Ted's bike. I should have taken a couple of pictures before I cleaned it. It was pretty bad. I took it to the car wash and used the high pressure engine cleaner. It took a lot of the mess off. The carburetor and fuel tank had some green gooky stuff in them so I used carb cleaner and some solvent to clean them up and replaced the fuel lines. It didn't have a saddle so I put one of my spares on just so I could ride it. The luggage rack is aluminum so I'll take it off and buff it out and maybe throw some new tires and thorn proof tubes on it. The brake pads are as hard as rocks, might replace those too then get to the cosmetics.
I think he'll be surprised and pleased.
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Van but I'll just buy new stuff. Ted was ready to purchase a new bike and engine so he won't mind the the price of a few upgrades.
It does need a lay-back seat post. I think a banana seat would look great on it.

I pulled the muffler off today, cleaned it out and took it to my bench buffing wheel. The darned thing came out looking like new. I replaced the plug wire and did some other cleaning. The rims and spokes are coming out great. This might just turn out to be a nice looking little bike after all. Sort of reminds me of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. :)
Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Look'n good, I've been trying to find one of those old BMX frames for a long time now. If he does decide to upgrade to a different bike I got dibs on that bike if it goes on the market. Either way, that will look sweet going down the trails.

I fixed the leak on my tank and mounted it as best I could. My frame design is curved a little too much where the tank sits; there's only about 4 inches where it sits flush.

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
hey frank...i got a nifty new pipe....gonna need those jets we talked about...hit me up if your still coming down tomorrow....oh and good to hear you got the tank figured out better

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've created a monster. I did a little porting work today and took Ted's bike for a trial run. I'm falling in love with this little bike. It is a kick to ride and even with the seat where it's at it's still not that uncomfortable.
I'm almost to the point where I hope Ted doesn't like it and I'll have to keep it myself. I'd happily build him another one and add this little guy to my stable. It's a sweet running bike, for sure. It currently has a 36T sprocket and it gets down the road but a little slow up the hills in my neighborhood. I might change out to a 41T just to see how it does.
I also have a suspension fork that will fit it without any modification. Now wouldn't that make for a nice ride?
I'll keep you posted.
Tom

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Today,

I was riding down the street with traffic, and then my bike out of nowhere, starts vibrating like crazy. I get to my house and see that my right rear motor mount stud is missing. I don't know if it is just missing or broke off; I hope just missing, but I'm thinking it is broken. I'll post updates ASAP...
:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Frank,
If I can help in any way let me know. Gotta a garge full of tools; sort of messy right now but we can fine room to work. PM me if I can offer anything.
That offer is good to any of you Denver Riders too.
Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Frank,
If I can help in any way let me know. Gotta a garge full of tools; sort of messy right now but we can fine room to work. PM me if I can offer anything.
That offer is good to any of you Denver Riders too.
Tom
Thanks a lot for the offer Tom I appreciate it. With us having an unreliable vehicle at this time, the bike is my only mode of transportation. I'm afraid I'd have no way to get down there. Will is going to take the motor to his dad's repair shop and see if the drill press & heli-coil will work. If not, then I'll have to buy a replacement motor. Either way, I'll be ready by the next cruise. How is Ted's bike coming along?

:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Frank, good luck with that broken bolt. With any luck it'll unscrew out and you won't even have to heli-coil it. A method to think about is welding to the broken stud. It takes a little talent but a good welder can attach something to the end of the stud that can be grabbed and unscrewed. A wire feed is good for this because you can concentrate the heat in a small area and not compromise the aluminum casting. Also if the stud is locktited in the heat will possible break the bond. Keep us informed.

Ted's bike is ready, but, I hate to give it up. I put ten miles on it today and enjoyed it. I made a lay-back seat post for it that really improved the comfort. A new clutch lever, chain guard and a rear view mirror. He doesn't know anything about it yet. I want it to be a total surprise. I'll let you guys know what his reaction is.

Are we still looking at June 4 for the third ride? Guess it will depend on your engine?
Tom