MI law plese help?????

GoldenMotor.com

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
MI motor on bike laws?????

please help me
i am new to this and i want to build a motor pedal bike or whatever you want to call it

what are the MI laws concerning motorized bikes,age,registration,ect?

does a bike with a 49cc 2 stroke need a registration?

Is a bike with a motor that you can shut off and pedal or run the motor and go ect. that is under 50cc in this case 49cc legal to ride on the curb or side walk depending on road? (you can still pedal the bike so it is motor assisted)

is there a age limit on it like can you put a 10 year old on a motorized bike and let him ride around and have fun?

if you add a shifter kit is it still legal or is it now a motorcycle according to the law?

thanks

Last edited:

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
i seem to have got it mostly straight that in MI you build one of these its a moped and you need to reg. it right?

is there a way to get around the registration?

if you half to reg it do you ride it on the side walk or the curb of the road where the cars park lol?

Last edited:

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
yes i did that before i posed that thanks i originally looked up the laws on SOS and other government websites (like 2) i figured out from them in MI there considered mopeds that does not make any sense but that is the gov. in a nutshell but i could not figure where you can ride it it said on the curb but many streets around where i live have the main 2 lanes and have a small curb that cars park on and then a side walk i cant ride it in the middle of the street by law and i can't exactly ride through a car so i was (????wondering on streets like that can i ride on the side walk any way???????)
(the side walks are new and really smooth better than the actual road)

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
Re: MI motor on bike laws?????

thanks i did i haven't bought 1 yet i got a frame i was thinking on making a diy one because i got a 49cc rototiller motor i am still trying to figure the law out

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
thanks that answered my question i cant ride on those roads i cannot ride in the lanes or on the side walk and the cars are parked there so i cant go that way i find a way to travel though thanks

Cubenzo

May 11, 2011
Michigan
I rode mine up and down the roads here in michigan. Never got pulled over, or bothered by the "man".

Just mind the rules of the road, and dont hold up traffic and you'll be fine.

the longest ride i did was about 20miles on this bike:

Cubenzo

May 11, 2011
Michigan
Its an old murray built frame, i got it without a badge so it could have been a number of things :p

ebay motor kit, 80cc.

more pictures of the bike without engine:

before i got the electra WW's :

Last edited:

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
that is such a sweet bike
its a old beach cruzer modified to a board track racer (so cool)

have you looked into performance parts?
like cns carb (not gen B one)
boost bottles
expansion chamber
nos kit
just wondering?

nice bike i cant say that enough lol its so cool

Cubenzo

May 11, 2011
Michigan
I sold this bike last summer. Wish i still had it.

However, im working on a 1930's elgin frame, that will have a gru-bee engine kit, with expansion chamber, mikuni carb, and a boost bottle.

possibly a turbo, if i can find the one im looking for.
should be done in a month or so. Waiting on the engine/parts.

heres the frame as i found it: