Malaysia may ban Electric Bicycles...

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Malaysia is planning to ban electric bicycles. I'm using an HT 2 stroke here, so if ever this pushes through, it will be a real bummer for me. Since, this my main means of transportation. Banning this means of tranportation does not really solve the problem of accidents and risk of injury. It is more of educating the riders, motorists, and the general republic. I think the reason they are planning to ban electric bicycles is that they can't get any revenue for it, since there's no road tax, etc... Public transport here is really lousy, so if they are planning to ban electric bicyles, then they should provide better and more reliable public transport. All they want is to ban this for safety reasons without really looking into why people have to ride such modes of transportation.

:-||

Malaysia govt may ban electric bicycles

The problem with these law makers is that they make and propose these laws without really looking and studying this in more detail. For example, what is their basis that electric bicycles are a danger to pedestrians and other motorists? where's the statistics? I doubt if any of these law makers really tried to ride one of these things. They're all riding their luxury cars around town with a driver.

There are more deaths on Sexually Transmitted Diseases than on riding an electric bicycle, but they're not banning sex. But they educate people on how to avoid these diseases... Should be the same with Electric bicycles. It should'nt be banned, but there should be awareness of safety, and proper riding procedures. They can't ban sex, but they can ban electric bicylces, because they can... :(

Same thing with tobacco products. There are more deaths caused by diseases from tobacco consumption. But all they put are these warning messages on the packages. For power assisted bicycles, it should also be the same... something like 'Riding this contraption is dangerous to your health, to the general public, and other motorists', but not banned. Then they will come out with a Power Assisted Bicycle tax. :(

This might mean an end to my beautiful relationship with my MB. A very painful goodbye for me... I sure hope this does not push through.

And I have'nt finished my 2nd build yet...

I might still remain active with this forum...

Cheers...

Last edited: