Orlando FL Fails at motorized bicycles.

GoldenMotor.com

radat1dj

Aug 2, 2010
orlando
So after trying to get some straight answers, and reading through the forum here, i decided to email my local government... im talking orange county sheriff, orange county tax collectors office, DMV, and of course the florida Highway Patrol... I specifically asked questions about Gad engine Motorized bicycles...

DMV sent me this quote...

--------------
Thank you for your e-mail.
BICYCLE.—Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle. Motorized bicycles, are not registered.
Thanks
Division of Motor Vehicles

---------------

duh,,,,

but now for the bread and butter...

the Florida Highway Patrol sent the following... I attached his contact info...

Unfortunately, the only place motorized bicycles may be ridden in Florida is on private property.

Captain Mark D. Welch
Chief of Public Affairs
Office of Executive Director
Florida Highway Patrol
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 44
Tallahassee, FL, 32399-0500
Office: 850.617.2301
Fax: 850.617.5108
[email protected]
Official Website Florida Highway Patrol
.duh.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Unfortunately, the only place motorized bicycles may be ridden in Florida is on private property.
Electric under 20mph, anywhere a regular bicycle can go.

Gas you need to register as a moped. And then go from there.

Hec_The_Wreck

Apr 4, 2010
Hollywood,FL
This state should make up it's mind on what to do,I'm down south and I never been pulled over,rode by three cops yesterday and they just looked at me.I'll keep riding till they personally tell me all their rules.

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
SANGESF: Do you work for the highway patrol. If not why do you keep posting there propaganda.
This statement is the product of some zealots wishful thinking of being in control of everything they see or touch.
Electric under 20mph, anywhere a regular bicycle can go.

Gas you need to register as a moped. And then go from there.
This is what will work under the law. It does not mean you will never see a cop pull you over but it offers the most protection under the law.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Here in Saint Augustine (NE Florida) the county police department says that gas motorized bikes do not need to be registered. They consider them to be bicycles. You MUST have lights front and back if you ride at night. Just like a bike. The city police in Saint Augustine will only pay any attention to you when you break a law: running stop signs etc. Other than that they ignore you.

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
SANGESF: Do you work for the highway patrol. If not why do you keep posting there propaganda.
It's funny...
I state all the different statutes and PDFs from the Florida/county(s)/towns here and people get mad..

When I say, you need to register, people complain.
When I say, you don't need to register, people complain.
When I say, it's not allowed on the streets, people complain
When I say, it's allowed on the road, people complain.

Make up your own mind, do whatever you want to do, read the statutes and decide for yourself, call the local police and ask them, call your local DMV and ask, if you get a ticket, fight it, if you look up the pertinent statutes and decide for yourself.

Don't just complain.
If you do something that's not allowed under the law and you get caught and fined and whatever, DON'T COMPLAIN.

And reb, you live in California... Worry about your own state's/county/town's laws..
You Complain and THEN you agree with me.

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
And reb, you live in California... Worry about your own state's/county/town's laws..
You Complain and THEN you agree with me.
I am a US citizen and I will do more than complain if my right to travel is threatened by anybody or anything. The law that allows any little city to deny the right of travel is unconstitutional and should be challenged. I lived in Florida for 17 years and there are some areas where the authorities make there own laws. I still have family there and will travel there as I see fit. I believe the state has the right to request license and registration but do not agree with anybody telling me I can not ride a bicycle motorized or otherwise where ever I want.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I am a US citizen and I will do more than complain if my right to travel is threatened by anybody or anything. The law that allows any little city to deny the right of travel is unconstitutional and should be challenged. I lived in Florida for 17 years and there are some areas where the authorities make there own laws. I still have family there and will travel there as I see fit. I believe the state has the right to request license and registration but do not agree with anybody telling me I can not ride a bicycle motorized or otherwise where ever I want.
I for one am glad that you moved. You seem to have an attitude problem.

A city can pass a legal ordnance prohibiting you from riding a bicycle in a given area. That has been challenged and the city won. Here in Saint Augustine a handicapped couple wanted to drive their golf cart on the streets. They lost in court. As for your constitutional rite to ride your bike where ever you want goes.....good luck there.

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Your right to TRAVEL is not in question...
Your right to BE IN PHYSICAL CONTROL of a vehicle that a town has deemed illegal in that town is.
You can travel by foot.
You can travel by bus.
You can travel as a passenger in a legal vehicle.
You can travel by any town's legal definition of a vehicle.

Travel does NOT always equal driving!

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Weather this is an actual reply from a state cop or not has nothing to do with the fact that it is legal to ride a MB in Florida.
If some small town is stupid enough to tell me I can't ride a bicycle or MB down the road I will work on making it legal there. If some fool decides not to recognize a moped tag from another state I will have a discrimination suite. I do believe that riding a bicycle down the road with a motor should require a license and tag. I believe that doing it any other way invites all kinds of bad treatment by the police who then assume that everybody riding a MB is some kind of criminal.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Weather this is an actual reply from a state cop or not has nothing to do with the fact that it is legal to ride a MB in Florida.
If some small town is stupid enough to tell me I can't ride a bicycle or MB down the road I will work on making it legal there. If some fool decides not to recognize a moped tag from another state I will have a discrimination suite. I do believe that riding a bicycle down the road with a motor should require a license and tag. I believe that doing it any other way invites all kinds of bad treatment by the police who then assume that everybody riding a MB is some kind of criminal.
There has been trouble before..
IF you live in Daytona Beach and ride IN Daytona Beach... That town has the definition of a bicycle that INCLUDES a moped.
You're not going to get in trouble for riding your moped on the streets there (even if you don't have a license)..
The SECOND you go 5 feet out of that town, you better have it registered as a moped and have a driver's license, or you might get stopped and be ticketed for an unregistered vehicle and driving a moped without a license.
(There is a current case pending on just that topic (only the unregistered part, I think) and will find out the outcome in the near future)

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
I am not normally one to buck the system. I have had only two tickets in my life. I have never been in jail. I just have a problem with going along with the flow so much that we end up loosing all our rights. Our laws are based on the perception that the government will protect us from ourselves. I do not always trust the intent of those that are in charge.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So after trying to get some straight answers,

the Florida Highway Patrol sent the following...

Captain Mark D. Welch
Chief of Public Affairs
Office of Executive Director
Florida Highway Patrol
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 44
Tallahassee, FL, 32399-0500
Office: 850.617.2301
Fax: 850.617.5108
[email protected]
Official Website Florida Highway Patrol
.duh.
If it's the same as Texas what he's telling you just his opinion. Notice he didn't site any specific statute making motor bicycles illegal. That's probably because there isn't one, and he's assuming one for mopeds will apply.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
My son rides his to work every day
he was pulled over by a Volusia Fla county cop a couple weeks ago, all the cop asked him was what size motor it had, Son told him 49cc , cop asked him if he was sure, son said yes that is what the sticker said, cop told him to have a nice day

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I've had much better luck with sherrif's dept, than with local town cops.
Most are cool...
The only problem stems from the ones that have nothing better to do than to harrass bicycle riders.

Local town cops in this area are the worst!

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I have no problem with Ocoee police, I ride past one, within a couple of feet from his car regularly
Yodar rides his from Winter Garden to Ocoee regularly and I see two guys riding theirs around Orlando in view of OPD all the time

I know for fact that neither Yodar nor my son have DLs

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Most bicycle riders I've seen are the worst in my area.
They go through red lights, stop signs, go the wrong way in the bike lane, etc, etc..
The ABSOLUTE WORST are the gas bike riders who ride on the sidewalk!
They never give a signal to the pedestrians and ride at like 15mph.
Horrific!

I've noticed that cars do not expect any bicycle riders (in my area) to be going over 10mph..
Before I put the motor on my bike, I almost never had a close call.
When I put the motor that allowed me to go 15-16 mph, cars where getting close to me.
When I put the motor that allowed me go to 20mph, cars got even closer to hitting me..

The faster you go on the bike, the more apt you are to get hit.

We need more education for both drivers and cyclists, that's for sure.

Last edited:

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
25% of bicyclists killed are intoxicated. A large number of the motorists who kill bicyclists are drunk or repeat traffic offenders. In other words they already have a criminal record and have or had suspended licenses. Bicyclists being killed because they did not stop is not the major cause of motorists hitting them. I always obey the laws but have had to learn to watch for the ones who don't so I don't hit them. 89% of car bike collisions happen at intersections. It is right turning and left turning cars that do the most killing and being hit from the rear is last but catching up some due to the love of electronics like ipods and cell phones. I average 17mph on my pdal bike. As you go faster you need more room. Staying to the right to far will get you killed. In some congested areas I find it easy to stay with the pace of the cars lined up behind the traffic lights. As long as you can maintain the pace you have a legal right to be in the lane with the cars and this is the safest place in congested areas. Remember every driveway is an intersection. If you are to far to the right you are no more noticeable to a motorist than a cockroach.