New (to me) Old Bike To Begin

GoldenMotor.com

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
I have often read many posts how some areas seem to have lots of used bikes at cheap prices to choose from. Here in Peoria, IL that hasn't been the case. I tried all of the actual bike shops, they basically offer $50.00 bucks off list on new bikes and $300.00 for the 3 year old version of the new $450.00 bike. I checked the local paper and thrift stores, they are either super expensive, or rode hard and put away wet - thrift store bikes at $30.00 to $40.00. I've also followed C'slist on a daily basis for about a month; finally - good or bad - I've bought a used bike.

I really couldn't tell how old it was since the basic diamond frame has been around for decades, but it looked pretty clean, minor paint scrapes and dings. Both rims spun true without visible wobble, breaks not worn. The front deraileur shifts but the back has a super slack cable, but appears to be clean and undamaged. It rides well except for the lack of shifting, hopefully I can fix that.

From Googling when I got it home I learned this:

The bike is a 1993 GT Talera all terrain, blue was only made that year. It is a CR-MO Tange plain guage tubing frame, no suspension. The shifters are both Shimano Altus ST-CT15's, the deraileur's are Altus A20's. The rims are Araya HE AP21 with knobby 26X1.50 tires. Bike says "Designed in USA, Built in Taiwan". It has a gel seat and gel grips.

I paid $65.00 cash, and I hope that is ok. Because of my DUI status I still don't know if it will become an electric or gas machine. I favor gas, but at this point my lawyer says no way. Of course, he also says no way to go electric, but that I will sneak build even if I learn gas is impossible. More details on that situation in the Laws - Illinois thread.

Anyway, please chime in with knowledge of the bike, opinions, whatever. Is this a good candidate? Was the price right? Tell me, please.

.flg.

Last edited: