Bike runs then stops

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
So I recently got a new kit installed on my bike it ran great for two days.I changed the plug wire to a higher quality 7mm it ran good for about 30 minutes and then sputtered and shut off..Went ahead and switched the wire back to stock,motor running good for a couple of blocks around the neighborhood it wouldn't start back up!I let my MB sit for awhile take it for ride and it still shuts down and will not start up I repeated this process several times.I've tried several different spark plugs (even though) its getting a good spark,plug is gapped at 20.Noticed today there was something black running through my fuel line,so I found out it was black paint chipped from the gas tank going through my fuel into the carburetor.Could this have clogged the main jet or caused worse? Need your help Norman! Thanks

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
sounds like you need to install an inline fuel filter. Walmarts sells them they are plastic housing
with a paper element, the cost less than $5.00.
Take off the carb and give it a cleaning use compress air and or carb cleaner. Do not stick wire in the jets that is bad for a jet.
You say there is good spark. that one of the 3 that you need to make it run.
1 spark
2 air
3 fuel
take one away and it will not run.
you might want to flush out the fuel tank get as much crap out of it as you can.
also take out and clean the fuel shut off valve most have a screen on them that will stop large rocks.

Last edited:

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Sounds good.Yeah this kit didn't come with a inline filter and couldn't find mine so I went ahead running it anyways :-|| Would it be alright using brake cleaner instead of carburetor? Thanks Norm.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I sprayed the carby with a little brake cleaner,put a inline filter in then got around one block and it bogged out and shut off again.When I remove the spark plug,rolling the bike for about 3 minutes it will start up and repeat bogging out after a block or so and shut down..I forgot to mention the other day there were sparks on the outside of the spark plug (stock) sparking all over.

Are the jets clogged?

Could it be bad gas?

What are my options here,I need my MB going asap! Thanks

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
if you have sparks on the out side of the plug then it shorting out clean the out side of the spark plug or replace it.
You should not have dirty hands when changing out a spark plug it will allow for the spark to go on the out side of the spark plug.
When I did a spark plug change outs on industrial engines we all wore clean gloves and if they got any oil or even a little dirty we changed gloves.
Did you take the carb apart to clean it?
if not you might still have some dirt in the needle and seat on the float. causing it to stick shut.
Could be the float needle is sticking in the seat you can polish it with tooth paste put a small dab in the seat insert the needle in it and lightly twist the needle in the seat that will remove a small burr if there is one. Clean it real good afterwards
Or the fuel strainer on the tank is plugging off.
you might try putting some pressure into the tank next time it stops. take off the gas cap and pressure it up with your lungs don't inhale and don't do this with the tank full try not to let people see you do this they might get the wrong idea. They might think your kissing the tank or sniffing the gas plus you will look strange???!!!! LOL Don't smoke while doing this either!
It sounds unsafe and probably is but if your starving the system for fuel it will help unclog it.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Interesting theory! My neighbors would be like what the is going on with him LOL! Believe me I've went through (sadly) 100 gloves in a couple of days from changing them out trying to keep everything neat.

Alright so I shortened my fuel line tonight,took it for a ride got two blocks down the road BAM it bogged out! This time it started right back up with full choke and got me to my drive way and would not start up for another 10 minutes..

I let the motor sit in idle for 5 minutes witch had no problem,after 5 mins it revved way up & shut off.Don't get me wrong here but I THINK I seen a full line of fuel being rapidly sucked into the carburetor in less than a second afterwards the motor shut down. My carb is slightly tilted due to clearance problems could this be anything? I haven't taken the carb apart just sprayed through and out..Thank ya much Norm.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Carb tilt could be a possibility,they are designed to operate in a level state (fuel bowl ,liquid seeks its level)