Muffler Clamps

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I am curious to know if anyone has had success using Exhaust Clamps to directly mount the front and rear of a 2-Stroke motor in your frame?

They come in all different sizes but probably would require to drill the clamp part to match the engines mounting areas..

Would it work? Any input,I'd appreciate it! Thanks

Attachments

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
That's good to know! I seen the thread someone using the exhaust clamps and Simpson strong ties witch gave me a idea of using (only exhaust clamps) since none of the local hardware stores carry the strong ties in the size I need.

I have a kit on the way this morning and need something cheap yet reasonably solid until Manic's motor mount gets here..My front tube is approx 2 1/2 and seat tube is 1 1/2 I am open to any ideas you guys may have! Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yarp - I've done it too lol (SBP shiftkit), but even with a steel bike you could kink the frame - so I would strongly recommend cuttin' up a pipe to make metal "pads" to disperse the pressure like this;

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Yarp - I've done it too lol (SBP shiftkit), but even with a steel bike you could kink the frame - so I would strongly recommend cuttin' up a pipe to make metal "pads" to disperse the pressure like this;

Nice work man.To much of a hassle for me to scrounge up metal and the tools to do all of that..I agree though I may use sheet metal zpt

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks lol

A side handle grinder w/a cut-off wheel, a Dremel, or even just a hacksaw will getcha there *shrug* If you haven't got a Dremel, I heartily suggest getting one as they're one of the most essential tools for modifying one of these MBs ;)

The "fiber reinforced" cut off wheels for the Dremel make short work of even 1/8" plate steel BTW :D

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Thanks lol

A side handle grinder w/a cut-off wheel, a Dremel, or even just a hacksaw will getcha there *shrug* If you haven't got a Dremel, I heartily suggest getting one as they're one of the most essential tools for modifying one of these MBs ;)

The "fiber reinforced" cut off wheels for the Dremel make short work of even 1/8" plate steel BTW :D
Hey now lol you inspired me to get a Dremel awhile ago :D Been using a cheapo on many different things,believe me I love my "Chicago" Dremel.

Not to sure if I wanna do all the work then what do ya know my motor mount shows up haha:D

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Heh, yea sorry 'bout that - good ta hear the Dremel knock-off is workin' out so well, I didn't take the chance on one 'cause I use 'em so much I worried about the bearings.

As for the rework of makin' those only to have yer mount show up - yer talkin' to the wrong guy lol I've installed the engine on my Rollfast build at least a dozen times by now... and I'll prolly do it another half dozen or so as I fit and refit various "custom" bits... and I've not even fired it up once yet *sigh*

Gotta love these MBs ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
my chicago dremel lasted 1 use, but at the time it was the only thing i needed it for so i was happy. next time i needed one i bought a real dremel and it's been used for 6 years. hasn't given me any problems.
well i cracked a cutting wheel and it flew into my forearm cutting a nice 2" long gash in my arm.
Which is why I stress the use of safety glasses. Luckily it was your arm and not an eye. When using any rotary tool look at the direction of rotation and try to imagine which way parts, pieces or sparks will go and keep yourself on the opposite side. Hope you mend quickly.
Tom

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I made this mount with a muffler clamp and some high grade hardware into the engine. I have a couple hundred miles on it and no problems at all. Never even had to re torque and those are some miles on rough dirt roads and some air time!
I did use some steel to help distribute the presure to the seat post tube(chromo frame) and a piece of heater hose to help a little with vibration.
I also am a firm believer in eye protection!
I also avoid using my Dremel ,or any rotary tool for that matter, when ever possible, I made my cuts on this piece of thick aluminum with a sawsall (piece clamped to work table of course). Files and jig saws work just fine for finish shaping on aluminum and they dont create shrapnel so easy!-

Attachments

Last edited: