Help me Identify My Frame

GoldenMotor.com

jjstanza

Apr 20, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I got this frame with some other stuff and know nothing about it except I like the lines. I have two questions:

1.Can anyone help me identify the origin of the frame?

2.Is there any reason anyone can see that it would not make a good motorbike frame. I seem to be a little concerned about the design of the rear dropouts. They appear to be made unlike any bike I have ever seen before.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While I don't know what frame that might be - I do know there's nothing to fear 'bout those rear dropouts. There's isn't a stronger design than that (one bent around tube per side) and the small hole and "fin" are for a rear dropstand, common amongst older bikes.

...it does look a lil like bairdco's '39 Colson http://motorbicycling.com/f38/backwards-engine-experiment-1939-colson-13458.html

But I'm new to the vintage bike game so... they all just look sweet ta me ;) I can't wait ta see what ya do w/it!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
no. definitely don't use it. it's a piece of crap, it'll break, it'll look ugly. in fact, i think you should send it to me so i can destroy it!

dude, seriously, you bast#$%. that's a pre-40's Colson Streamliner frame. it's older than mine.

that little wing that sticks up on the rear drop outs is for the rear dropstand kickstand to catch on.

i've been searching for one of those since i built mine. if you're not gonna use it, i'll buy it right now.

jjstanza

Apr 20, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Well then that is very interesting. My next question to bairdco is how much is something like this worth? It sounds like it may not become a motor bike if it has historic significance($$$$)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
honestly, and i'm not just saying this because i want it, it's not worth a ton of money.

i paid 75 bucks for a complete bike all rusted out, and turned it into what you'll see if you click that link Barely posted.

if it was a complete bike and mint condition, you'd be looking at a grand, to the right buyer.

but the frame alone, painted? depends on how bad a guy wants it.

the one in this pic sold for 1200, but it was complete, factory fresh...

Attachments