Rototiller bike... WORKS

GoldenMotor.com

squeakmighty

Aug 14, 2009
gaithersburg MD
so here it is.
I am one of the few people to use a rototiller on a bike... I do not know why! it is very fast! this friction bike uses a mag-lite (could not find a bike beg...) for a spindle. the mag-lite has washers that keep it from slipping on the wheel (to the side) the mag-lite is bolted to a piece of the clutch.

(i do not know why it looks crooked but i assure you it is not...)

the motor can be lifted up to start and then lowered to go
it uses a craftsman rototiller engine, and i had to have it tipped just right so it DOES get gas flow

POTENTIAL PROBLEMS INCLUDE:

my first two spindles broke, but this on will probably hold :)
.duh.
anyway
the only other prob is the first bolt to support it was put on with a crappy wielder, but my kind nieghbor fixed it with his arc wielder.

so yea i just thought i could inspire someone to make another cuz ive only seen very few.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
The knurled part of the mag light is a fairly good material but you're only using half of the knurled part on the tire and the rest is the smooth part. Mag lights are fairly expensive compared to pipe fittings or bike pegs. It reminds me that the on/off button (the rubber part) fell out of every maglite I ever owned. I don't guess they ever fixed that little problem.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Please, post pictures as thumbnails next time. Click on "Reply" then scroll down and click on "manage attachments" and upload them from there.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The Mag-Lite is a good idea because it's easily replaced when worn, maybe even cheap too.

Your engine should have to be tipped "just right" to get fuel flow, it has a diaphram carb on it doesn't it?

squeakmighty

Aug 14, 2009
gaithersburg MD
my engine gets perfect gas flow... YAY, but im having problems with the maglite bolt. the bolt thru it keeps striping and it wont stay in. its bolted onto metal (unknown) that wont wield without an arc wielder. an arc wielder is not controlled enough, to handle this small job tho... any suggestions for my little predicament

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
That is very interesting set-up. I have been going to garage sales and
have manage to pick up 3 Mantis tillers very cheaply, with the dual sided gearboxes and
was thinking they could be modified into push trailer set ups.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
As to your drive. If you could weld a few empty nuts 1/2 inch together, to make one long nut. Then you could run an all thread 1/2 rod through a skateboard wheel and bold it onto the drive shaft you already have the threaded rod on. Just bolt it off and on to make interchangeable wheels. I did that to an e motor and it worked pretty well. The soft rubber wheel is much easier on the tires. I am running pneumatic tires on my Rhino bike and there is no more wear than if it were running on sand.

Looks like a great build. keep up the good work

Last edited:

squeakmighty

Aug 14, 2009
gaithersburg MD
As to your drive. If you could weld a few empty nuts 1/2 inch together, to make one long nut. Then you could run an all thread 1/2 rod through a skateboard wheel and bold it onto the drive shaft you already have the threaded rod on. Just bolt it off and on to make interchangeable wheels. I did that to an e motor and it worked pretty well. The soft rubber wheel is much easier on the tires. I am running pneumatic tires on my Rhino bike and there is no more wear than if it were running on sand.

Looks like a great build. keep up the good work

Thank you Deacon. i followed your advice for a skateboard wheel. but also thanks to bikeguy joe. much appreciation for the jb weld idea. the weld is drying right now, in fact. in 15 hours i will have an update as to whether or not it worked

squeakmighty

Aug 14, 2009
gaithersburg MD
GREAT news. that jb weld stuff is my hero. it holds that wheel on better than a wielder did! its still on so thats good but im having trouble push starting the engine. i can use the ripcord, (its on the back) but being a weak little 14 year old i wonder if i can just push start it?

thebikebutcher

Oct 11, 2009
Owosso, MI
I have that exact same motor! I got it from my father.

Do you know anything about the motor? What is the name and type? Where were they made?

What is the gas mixture ratio?

Do you think this engine would work in a configuration other than friction?

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
cvlt1
I have that exact same motor! I got it from my father.

Do you know anything about the motor? What is the name and type? Where were they made?

What is the gas mixture ratio?

Do you think this engine would work in a configuration other than friction?
That would be a tecumseh TC II. It is 49cc, about 2.2 hp, and uses a 25:1 fuel ratio. (I run a 40:1 with synthetic and it works fine. They are found on Jiffy ice augers, Craftsman minitillers, as well as motorized bikes. cvlt1

Mine works very well as a belt drive.

thebikebutcher

Oct 11, 2009
Owosso, MI
I am also into the aesthetics of my bike. I am still trying to figure out how to use thise motor as a chain or belt drive and separate the tank. place it in the frame. I appreciate the functionality. you are riding whilst I am thinking.