Will it work?

GoldenMotor.com

bikebum1975

Aug 18, 2008
Connecticut
Alright fellas I'm in need of a new bike figure kill two birds one stone. Ive been wanting to build a motored bike in the future I'm thinking for my needs on style and utility this guy will fit the bill. Anyways yeah I know the usual already regarding dumping the fenders and such but has anyone dropped a 2 stroke on one? If ya have love to see pics.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/700c-S...s-Leisure-Bike-Matte-Red/26999373?type=search

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
An engine would fit that frame. However, I would get a bike with 26 inch mountain bike wheels. Mountain bike wheels are just stronger and will better handle the weight of the engine kit.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Yes it will work fine.
My first build was a 27" wheel'd bike. The owner rode it from Astoria Oregon to Alabama.
No wheel issues......

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... it'll work, I'm in the process of building a 700c road bike right now too, mine is a fixie tho with a flip flop hub so I had to get creative with mounting the rear sprocket, then I settled with welding the 44 tooth sprocket to the fixed sprocket so I don't need to use an adapter or rag joint.
There's plenty enough room in these frames so the installation of the engine is easy.
The one thing you will need to deal with is the rough ride these bikes have, but a suspension seat or seat post and a suspension stem to take the shock off your hands will help a lot as well as take the full shock off the frame and wheels. These bikes aren't made for rough roads but they do have very rigid frames and forks the wheels aren't as strong as mountain bike or beach cruiser wheels but keeping the bike on pavement helps a lot and the shock absorbing seat post and stem also helps since the springs will compress before taking the weight of the bike and rider when a bump is hit which will also help keep the wheels safe. If you can fit bigger tires on your rims that'll help soften up the ride some too, but you can make the bike much more comfortable to ride. A shock absorbing seat post, cloud 9 seat, and a shock absorbing stem or even a front suspension fork will make the ride really nice, but every little bit helps so you may be happy with just a more comfortable seat or the shock absorbing seat post, but there are the other parts available if it needs more to soften up the ride.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yes it will work fine.
My first build was a 27" wheel'd bike. The owner rode it from Astoria Oregon to Alabama.
No wheel issues......
That's what I was thinking with mine too... somebody mentioned I would have wheel problems but these wheels look like they're a lot more rigid than my mountain bike wheels but it does have a harsh ridesince the tires are narrower than my pinky and need 110psi to hold me up but I bought this one to make a fast bike that's gonna spend most it's life on smooth pavement so I'm not really that concerned about the ride. I had a 27 inch motobecane 10 speed when I was a kid and used to jump it just like I did on my BMX and never bent a rim even under that kind of abuse so I really found it hard to believe these rims were fragile...
I will make my own post and show pics of this build since it's coming very close to completion.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Bikebum1975- No need to get rid of your fenders. I can't see riding without em.
There are aftermarket fender brackets that are almost the same as factory ones, but much stronger.
Strangely, I've found no consistency in price for these things. One place wanted close to twenty bucks for them, and another place gave me a set free when I bought discounted tires. They are available, and as of yet I have had zero failures.
Good luck with your build, and keep us informed!

Trey

florida_rider

Jun 29, 2015
florida
I have a 26 beach cruiser and rode slowly over a speed bump and my front Fender came undone and rolled with my tire..i slid and went down.luckily i carry tools and removed my mangled fender and left it on the side of the road.i read someone say to remove your fender..i kept it on..sometimes we learn from our experiences!

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
The whole fender debate is silly....
If you buy a cheap bike with poorly designed fenders and you are neglecting the maintenance on the bike they could and probably will fail.
If you are doing proper maintenance you will see the stress crack as it develops and correct the issue.
Or better yet replace the cheap part during the build process as part of a proper build.
But to tell everyone that they should run naked is just avoiding the real issue.
Maintenance will solve 99% of all failure problems associated with any machine........
I run fenders on all of my bicycles except my downhill's.
I have never had an issue with the fenders deciding it was time to leave the bike.....

This bike has now clocked 1500 miles without any failures.........

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Boxcar and I usually agree on things but here's a point I'll have to take issue with him on. Fenders are potentially dangerous and new builders as well as the experienced ones should be wary of them.

I'm no stranger to motorized bicycles and I'm a competent mechanic who checks things regularly. Nevertheless I had a rear fender come loose, rotate under the tire and put me on the asphalt and ultimately to the ER with a fractured leg.

Six miles was all the bike had gone after a thorough inspection and checking of fasteners. It was a new bike so I was diligent about checking things. The fender fasteners were one area I particularly looked at closely.
I repeat. Six miles. And this was not an inexpensive bike.

If an accident like mine can happen after only six miles, it can happen anytime. I redesigned the fender attach points and made provisions so the fender can never roll under the tire again even if all the fasteners fail.

Tom

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Sorry to hear about the crash 2 D.
I still maintain that a part that failed after 6 miles ( the fender mount ) was insufficient to begin with and should have been changed out during the build process.
I never run sheet metal fender struts or mild steel fender mounts.
I prefer SS or aluminum round stock for the stays and SS "U" brackets for the mounts.
As is used on all Bontrager and XLC fenders ( my fenders of choice.
If one has a set of fenders with stamped sheet metal stays and mounts I'd recommend changing the fenders out for a good pair or modifying them as stated above.
Unless one lives in the desert or is a strictly fair weather rider fenders are a must.
Aspecialy for those of us that commute to work on the bike... That is unless racing stripes are part of your work cloths.....

PS: These fenders have literaly gone through 2 world wars and better than 100 years on this bike without fail.........

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Box,
Just to clarify, I have two bikes like the one that hurt me. Fenders are identical. The other bike's fenders have never been an issue. Same fenders, same mounts and the other bike had nearly 1000 miles on it compared to less that fifty on the crash bike. The fender that failed was mounted at three loactions plus one straddle mount that I made from 1/4" stainless tubing.

A fastener either failed or fell out allowing the bottom, leading edge of the fender to rub against the tire which apparently caught it and pulled it forward, wrapping it under the tire. Quirky, to be sure but it illustrates my point that even a properly mounted, and inspected fender has the potential to cause a problem.

I'm simply concerned for the safety of our members and want to stress the importance of using diligence when running fenders on any motorized bicycle. And yes, I'm still using fenders but you can be sure they won't fail.

Tom

Last edited: