Filling out a reg 230 CA DMV Motorized bicycle application

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've read this over and over and it SEEMS to apply only to electric. BUT, I still challenge anyone to find in the California Vehicle codes or DMV sections that says insurance is REQUIRED for a MB. I have found every code possible on MB's, but nothing on insurance for gas bikes. If it were required it should be easy to look up on the DMV website. I've tried and tried to find something and have never found anything. If it aint there it aint required. I think the back of your form is just the standard form they send everyone for registration. Their not gonna print a special form just for MB's. It doesn't apply to you. I've been stopped by cops a lot and if insurance was required they would ask for it like they do when they pull you over in yer car. They NEVER ask.
fatdaddy.usflg

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
"California vehicle code section 24016 (b,) subdivision3: A person operating..........."

But for a gas bike, you do need at least an M2 license (or permit,) a DOT helmet, registration, license plate, headlight, taillight, brake light, horn, and left mirror.
I still challenge anyone to find.... insurance is REQUIRED for a MB...... I think the back of your form is just the standard form they send everyone for registration.
fatdaddy.usflg
I believe you guys to be right, and I will relax with the knowledge that there is no information on the subject. BUT, see FFVR 18: "Financial responsibility (commonly known as insurance) is required on all vehicles operated or parked on California roadways."

We don't know for certain that it doesn't apply to MBs. If it does, then it appears it also applies to pedal bikes too. But how many bicyclists carry insurance? And how many accidents happen with bicyclists? Many. We all know of somebody getting hit by a biker. Do they ever pay their dues? Mostly, no.

It makes sense that all on the road should be insured. If I was in my car and an MB (or bicycle) hit me and did not have insurance, I'd be furious and he'd better have good medical cause I'd beat his ass.

I think what it comes down to- is maybe legally you don't need insurance to ride an MB, but if you cause property or personal damage, you can get nailed for it. Somebody always pays. Ride safe.

Mike B... yea... but I decided to change my ways, and be a law-abiding citizen of integrity and good judgement. One big fat ticket set me back five motopeds.. :eek: Society doesn't take kindly to those who don't follow the rules.

NeilJams

Apr 26, 2015
California
I was wondering if it might be best to be very vague about engine numbers or bike serial numbers, doing so might make moving the plate from one bike to another or to replace an engine, easier, no?
A cop stopped me a couple of yrs ago for riding my regular bicycle against traffic, while lecturing me on traffic laws he told me that technically even regular bikes are considered vehicles like cars to the DMV and CHP, he did ley me go ticket free. So to switch the plates on ur MB to another bike would be like doing it to your cars. If a cop decided to check (highly unlikely) and the bikes VIN didn't match he could fine you like 100$ for fraudulent use of your license plate. Im thinking new bike means new plates, you might get away with the engine switching though.

This is my first build but I've researched the law books for legality issues quite a bit so I don't pay the courts more money than I spent on the build itself. I drove literally right past a motorcycle cop while I was driving on the streets. He was close enough for a high five but he didn't even look my way.

Fact is if you wear a motorcycle helmet and obey the traffic laws you'll probably never get pulled over in the first place. But its worth it in the long run to be fully legal for that 1% chance you get pulled over by officer dickhead. .shft.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Officer Darling, (his real name) of the Newport beach pd, gave me a ticket 5 years ago for no helmet, no plate, and no M2.

Got the right stuff, went to court, and got the ticket knocked down from $450 (? I think. It's been awhile. ) to 75 for court fees.

I'd run into him all the time in Newport and Costa mesa on different bikes, and at first he'd check my registration to make sure I wasn't switching plates. After awhile he'd just stop me to talk, and we became "friends."

He told me switching plates is just like doing it on a car, and he could impound your bike, ticket you, or, worst case, arrest you on suspicion of theft.

So, the moral here, is use the bike's serial number, register each one, and play by their rules if you want to stay outta trouble.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
A cop stopped me a couple of yrs ago for riding my regular bicycle against traffic, while lecturing me on traffic laws he told me that technically even regular bikes are considered vehicles like cars to the DMV and CHP, he did ley me go ticket free. So to switch the plates on ur MB to another bike would be like doing it to your cars. If a cop decided to check (highly unlikely) and the bikes VIN didn't match he could fine you like 100$ for fraudulent use of your license plate. Im thinking new bike means new plates, you might get away with the engine switching though.

This is my first build but I've researched the law books for legality issues quite a bit so I don't pay the courts more money than I spent on the build itself. I drove literally right past a motorcycle cop while I was driving on the streets. He was close enough for a high five but he didn't even look my way.

Fact is if you wear a motorcycle helmet and obey the traffic laws you'll probably never get pulled over in the first place. But its worth it in the long run to be fully legal for that 1% chance you get pulled over by officer dickhead. .shft.
I've met that officer a few times. He goes home to Mrs, dickhead, Wears his gun and badge to bed and locks up his kids every night like jail. Just cause he's a dickhead. Not all cops are dickheads but ya never know when yer gonna run into HIM.
fatdaddy.usflg

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I finally decided to get the license plate, I figured for only $21 it would make me look more legal. It only took a few weeks to get it. I've been riding since 2011 and have never been stopped by a cop. But one thing I have noticed is that other drivers seem to give me more room since I put that license plate on. They seem to see me more often and give me part of the road more often now. Am I just imagining this or have others noticed this too?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I finally decided to get the license plate, I figured for only $21 it would make me look more legal. It only took a few weeks to get it. I've been riding since 2011 and have never been stopped by a cop. But one thing I have noticed is that other drivers seem to give me more room since I put that license plate on. They seem to see me more often and give me part of the road more often now. Am I just imagining this or have others noticed this too?
Yep

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I just filled mine out. I had to make up a vin and motor number since my bike didn't have either. I mailed a usps money order for $21 even though the website says $18. I'll have to get a number/letter punch set but no big deal. Next is maybe get my m2 but that's a maybe

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Get the m1 if you can. To pass the test I don't think you can do it on an MB but I'm not sure. I did the MSF course back in like 06 and it was easy. If you don't do the course you have to do the driving test with the DMV and I've heard it's a lot more difficult.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I don't have a motorcycle and never intend on getting one. I had emailed the dmv a while back and they said you take the test on what you plan on riding but it doesn't make sense on a mb cause most of the test stuff doesn't apply to a mb but it says you need a m1 or m2 so I'm kinda confused. I guess I could just get my permit every year but that would be annoying. Or just say f that and keep riding but at least now I'll have the plate which will make me look legit

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I had a bike with all the legal requirements (horn, mirror, lights, etc) and the dmv said I couldn't take the test on it because it's a bicycle.

The clerks are pretty clueless, so you're stuck unless you get a scooter or motor cycle to take the test.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Yeah it's basically the same cost to rent a bike as to take the MSF course. You still gotta be able to make a u turn in a parking space without putting your foot down and stuff. I think even with the plate you're gonna be fine.

You could always weld a little trailing trainer wheel and call it a trike... Thereby being 100% legal laff

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I've thought of the training wheel idea. I really think as long as you're not riding stupid and obeying the rules of the road you're not gonna get hassled.especially if you have a plate

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
Nope I'm just riding as is. I have a class b licence, you would think that if I can drive a bus I can ride a mb. I'm just going to follow the rules of the road like I've been doing. I just wanted to get the plate so I look legal.