Choke lever acces from handle bar

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Well Ok, I didn't go to industrial design school.LOL,I figured this will work until I or someone else can come up with something better.Cable to the grip would be nice.I gotta say though,this works pretty darn good.Easy to fetch with your left hand without running into a ditch.Ron
[/IMG]

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Shaker style choke pull

Can't see what it's made from, Ron.

If it works then great....the choking/pedalling/not watching where you are going thing can get interesting.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.

Here's a larger pic.
I used a 1/8" copper rod I had laying around , beat a flat on one end and drilled a 1/16" hole through it.Used a dremmel to cut a slot in the top tab of the choke lever(long enough to allow full travel). Pinned end of rod between the two choke lever tabs with a piece of wire.Took a thin strip of metal bent in half to form a sleeve and taped to seat tube.Sawed off Shaker peg for handle.
Not the most eloquent solution but sufficiently goofy enough to have a certain appeal.Ron
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

I like your design it works and is simple,easy to do, anyone should be able to do the same. good job!
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

What I don't understand is why you need a choke lever. My engine warms up in seconds. I just start the bike in my drive, let it warm up, turn off the choke and go. takes about three minutes from first pedal to hitting the streets.

Are there motors that take longer to warm up. If so I might need to do something different for my next build.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.

Now there's a thought Deacon.Although I have a pretty good hill at the end of my driveway and have grown accustom to a gravity assisted start.Ron

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas

My engine on my motorized bicycle wont start without a choke when it's cool outside. In warm weather it will start fine with no choke. But if it's below 50 degrees it's got to be choked. I've been talking about fixing a choke like that. I've come close to wrecking a time or two because I was looking for the choke...............

Last edited:

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC

Here's a larger pic.
I used a 1/8" copper rod I had laying around , beat a flat on one end and drilled a 1/16" hole through it.Used a dremmel to cut a slot in the top tab of the choke lever(long enough to allow full travel). Pinned end of rod between the two choke lever tabs with a piece of wire.Took a thin strip of metal bent in half to form a sleeve and taped to seat tube.Sawed off Shaker peg for handle.
Not the most eloquent solution but sufficiently goofy enough to have a certain appeal.Ron
[/IMG]
I love your engineering style Ron. This is by far the simplest choke lever I've seen. The Shaker knob is genius:)Thanks!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

So you guys drive off with the choke engaged. Interesting, even at 35 degrees mine warms up in five or ten seconds sitting in my drive. I guess I just got lucky with my bicycle engine.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

What I don't understand is why you need a choke lever. My engine warms up in seconds. I just start the bike in my drive, let it warm up, turn off the choke and go. takes about three minutes from first pedal to hitting the streets.

Are there motors that take longer to warm up. If so I might need to do something different for my next build.
Even my new carb in 35°F weather needed the choke for a little bit....but then OFF. None of the constant fiddling.

Even so - a remote pull is pretty darn cool!!(^)

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

So you guys drive off with the choke engaged. Interesting, even at 35 degrees mine warms up in five or ten seconds sitting in my drive. I guess I just got lucky with my bicycle engine.
cruiser and I were discussing it - I think there are a couple levels of carbs out there.....or at least maybe the main jet sizes are all over the map from China. But this knowldege helps us, help folks in a world of hurt! (such as myself rotfl)

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

That remote choke is great and looks simple enough to set up. My bikes start really hard without the choke so I tend to use mine on every start. Once it fires I can't give it any gas without flooding, so I let it idle for a couple of seconds, turn the choke off and away I go with very little warm up time. I am seeing new choke levers in my future...Kelly

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

cruiser and I were discussing it - I think there are a couple levels of carbs out there.....or at least maybe the main jet sizes are all over the map from China. But this knowldege helps us, help folks in a world of hurt! (such as myself rotfl)

It is the complete lack of quality control in the factories in China.

It's also that the carbs/engines/other components can come from any one of several factories. There is no real consistancy other than by chance.

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan

Hey Guys

After almost crashing several times shutting my choke off by looking down and trying to find it , with one hand still on the handlebars and the other frantically searching for the choke, I decided I needed to find another way.

I know it sounds crazy but with both hands still on the handlebars , I reach up with my right foot and flick it off, most times I dont even have to look!

Try it it works for me every time.

Ted

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Well yesterday, I went out for a ride. Trying to slowly let my Kings motor 'fit' to the Schwinn Point Beach. I was looking down to turn off the choke while riding, and looked back up... BIG DOG. PISSED off big dog after I clipped him. He nearly ran me down! Anyway, I'm thinking now about controlling the choke from the handlebars or maybe a fake jockey shift? Something that would look good, but work well too. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Controlling the choke from the handlebar

Use a bicycle shift lever or throttle lever and a solid choke or throttle cable from the mower shop.

Drill a hole in the lever and put the cable through it. Zip tie it down and mount up the shifter.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Re: Controlling the choke from the handlebar

Use a bicycle shift lever or throttle lever and a solid choke or throttle cable from the mower shop.

Drill a hole in the lever and put the cable through it. Zip tie it down and mount up the shifter.
With the solid cable, I would be better off mounting it near the tank in my thinking....