Getting rid of the Uglies

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are several items from the original China Gal kits that I've never liked. As far as asthetics, the chain tensioner was one of them so I took care of that on my new bike. Two others were the heat shield spring on the clutch cable and ignition wiring. That ugly spring laying up against the cylinder fins just looks like crap so I did what is pictured below. I used 3/16 steel brake line tubing at the engine cable attach point, bent it to come up to a clamp I made that picks up one intake manifold bolt. This keeps the cable away from the cylinder and looks a lot cleaner than that spring.
I used 16-3 S.O. cord to replace the short engine ignition leads and drilled out the plastic plug to fit the cord. My wiring isn't complete yet but the new cord will run under the engine, up the seat tube to the CDI which is mounted under the front of the seat. I'm not sure how anyone else will like these ideas but they suit me and sure clean up some of the uglies I've lived with on my first bike.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Very nice ideas Tom! I picked up a couple of 90 degree steel tubing cable L's at the bike shop the other day. I think I will do something similar to what you did with the clutch cable. I never have used the Kit chain tensioner, I always make my own out of solid aluminum.
Nice motor mount you have made also.

John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, guys.
John. There's an added advantage to using the tubing at the clutch cable end. I found I can get a better angle on the clutch lever now where with the original design it was always just a little off which, I felt, put extra drag on the clutch cable. Now the cable can be 'aimed' more toward the lever.
Tom

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Thanks, guys.
John. There's an added advantage to using the tubing at the clutch cable end. I found I can get a better angle on the clutch lever now where with the original design it was always just a little off which, I felt, put extra drag on the clutch cable. Now the cable can be 'aimed' more toward the lever.
Tom
Tom, I re-routed my clutch cable today on one of the bikes with the 90 degree steel cable L. I like it! Like you say, I have a straight pull on the cable now. I never liked the way it ran through that spring, wedged in the motor fins. I think I will order some more of the cable L's. and do the other two bikes. Great idea!

John

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
I did this to around the middle of last week. I had to replace the clutch lever, put the new one on and the cable broke. While I was raiding the Trek for another cable I thought rigged up the clutch line using the bent line off the Trek...Funny thing is I didnt see this thread until tonight. It does work really good doesnt it?