Gear changer as clutch lever?

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I leaned my bike, well OK , I'll be honest , I almost dropped my bike and it fell against a wall and snapped that crappy clutch lever. I wrote my seller and he said he uses a gear shifter. I've never used one of these but I believe it locks and unlocks by pushing on another lever. If it locks (because I like that) it may be worth thinking about.
Anyone have an old style lever for sale? I like the older style because I always find myself pushing the button in with my right hand. I like the self locking feature and would love to get one if anyone knows where.
Here is what he is using. $45 for a set...any thoughts?

Attachments

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
He paid $45 for a pair and only used the left one, I just don't know if it's worth the cost.
I also don't know if it would give you the leverage needed for these kits. I know it would most likely work like a charm with the clutch set-up you have. Yes, it was a long time ago but I still remember !

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I used one...worked great. They "lock" just like they do when used as shifters. They're cheap on ebay. You could also use a grip shifter for clutch to reduce the clutter of levers on the bar.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
It doesn't work well if you don't have a centrifugal clutch. The 3 clicks to pull the clutch in take too long for my preference. I have one on a bike with centrifugal clutch which it is ideally suited for.

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
It doesn't work well if you don't have a centrifugal clutch. The 3 clicks to pull the clutch in take too long for my preference. I have one on a bike with centrifugal clutch which it is ideally suited for.
didn"t think that you would need a lever with a centrifical, can we doctor the lever so it has 1 larger or longer click to pull the clutch in in one hit?dnut

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I can see what you mean about possibly taking too long for two clicks to disengage clutch, however, when I had it set up with the cable slack just taken up without the lever shaft rubbing, that first click darn near fully disengaged it.

I think I read somewhere that SRAM shifter-movement-to-deraileur-movement was 1.1 to 1, while Shimano was 1 to 1. SRAM compatible components would likely give just enough more throw?

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
I know its prolly stating the obvious...but why not use a break lever...u can get a single for like 5-10 bucks and they never have any issues

Jun 25, 2008
those gear changers are poor and make the clutch extremely difficult to disengage, remember all that force is concentrated on your left thumb! (not so bad if you have Jims actuator) I'd advise a push button brake lever, or a twist grip. The twist grip a)cuts down levers b)locks off c) allows you to find the "biting" point which the gear shifter shown does not. You can adjust so its either 1 engaged 2 disengaged but from experience it is very stiff and hurts.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks for all the help guys. The guy who sold me the kit says there is one on it's way. He's sending me the older style. I like the self lock style and they are not made out of that cheap pot metal crap like my last one. My last one did rattle to bits, losing the spring after a year but I can live with that.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
i dont understand the two clutch on a centrifugal clutch motor whats the purpose of the centrifugal clutch .is that not what the point is to get rid of the clutch handle sorry i must be stupid

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
My thoughts on the manual clutch with the centrifugal clutch:

1. I use it to start the engine when I pedal start. The clutch must be engaged for power to get to desired location, i.e. wheels.

2. I releast the manual clutch when I wish to pedal. It provies for less rolling resistance.

3. If I'm idling for long periods of time, I pull the manual clutch because the auto-clutch occasionally will engage at random at at stop. Brakes should be depressed so bike doesn't move or lurch.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Perhaps he has the Grubee gearbox on a fourstroke? It has a "disengager" to allow cold start and revving while testing to prevent the bike from taking off with the centifugal clutch.

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
where does the second clutch come into play?? (surely not another lever ) iff it is a dissengager 99 clicks should work sufficiently . Speaking of witch can I alter a quick release so it only have 1 click?

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Never had one apart before but I would think there is one spring loaded ball or rod of some kind that falls into little holes or groves. I guess if you will in those holes with a filling that turns hard, it would work.
Just a wild guess......