new thing today

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
guy that builds these sent me a repair job - bike showed up and was REAL hard to get it to start, took a long while to pump old fuel out of motor

motor was loose, chain was loose, rear wheel bearings were loose, carb was missing parts, so did a bunch o' work

later, rode it a while, then called customer

he shows up & no start ??!!??

hour and a half later found the mag coil with busted wire, but the bare end was making good contact most of the time, but not always (was perfect every time I put the meter on)

finally opened cover and poked it and saw it wasn't soldered, never saw or heard of this before, but wrapped end of wire with 1/2 inch of new, soldered that , then soldered loose end to armature (extra length gives it room to vibrate without pulling loose again so I always do them that way)

runs fine now and will see if still OK in AM

rough fix when you can't trust the meter reading

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What kind of "meter"? Digital or analog? Digital meters can give false readings both in voltage and continuity sometimes. I don't trust them. I use a Simpson 260 when I want to be sure of what I'm reading. I have a high end Fluke VOM that sits in its case in a drawer. My venerable Simpson is always within reach.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
tried a 2nd meter - readings were all good, but sometimes varied by 10 or 20 ohms as if probe was on a corroded spot - rubbing probe to get better connection as one does when on a corroded spot, was how I found that wire was actually just lying on the solder

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
info is on the board here in maybe 200 threads

ohms from blue to ground will be 250, or 350, or 480 depending which kind of mag you have (readings will be +- about 30 ohms)