Clutch arm popped out

GoldenMotor.com

alec

Apr 26, 2016
Maine, USA
So I was riding my motorized bike, testing it after trying to fix some nasty 4-stroking, when the clutch arm popped out. Like the whole L shaped piece that goes into the engine just came out and I can't just slide it back into the hole it came out of.... it won't go all the way in. Now what makes this a much worse problem is that I have NEVER been able to get the clutch cover panel off of the engine, the screws just won't budge. Even when installing the chain I had to do it with the cover still on because I can't take it off without stripping the screws. Normally I'm pretty good at not stripping tough-to-move screws but these I simply can't turn and they're already getting stripped. So how do yall reckon I reinstall this clutch thing without being able to turn those screws to remove the clutch cover? or will I have to drill the screws out or something? or am I totally screwed?

Thanks in advance, this is all pretty new to me

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Sounds like the pin that holds the clutch-arm in place has fallen out. You'll most likely need a new clutch-arm cover since when you DO get it reinserted, it's just a matter of time until it pops out again.

Sometimes you'll get an engine with over-tightened bolts, and some of these phillips-head types are poorly manufactured and have rounded, soft slots: the screwdriver will slip right out of the slots, and you end up stripping them. I recommend investing in a Dremel with some saw-disks. Cut your own slots in the bolts and use a big flat-head screwdriver to remove them. Then go and get a set of good-quality hex-bolts to replace them.

That said, you CAN probably get the clutch-arm back in there with the use of a big flat-head WITHOUT removing the clutch-arm cover. I expect that after the arm fell out, the bucking-bar slid into the cover's void. You'll need to jam the flat-head in between the cover and the bar and wedge it back into the engine while pushing the arm back in.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first, I'd take carb off & see if the arm will go in then (it needs to point straight toward clutch to drop in) - if it goes in, you're good

however, that area needs grease every so often, so you'd want to get that cover off sometime anyway - if applying pressure with a big screwdriver while tapping handle of screwdriver with a hammer won't open it, you'll need to buy a hand impact driver which will get those screws out pretty easily - good tool to have and only about $10

alec

Apr 26, 2016
Maine, USA
That said, you CAN probably get the clutch-arm back in there with the use of a big flat-head WITHOUT removing the clutch-arm cover. I expect that after the arm fell out, the bucking-bar slid into the cover's void. You'll need to jam the flat-head in between the cover and the bar and wedge it back into the engine while pushing the arm back in.
This ended up working! Thanks for the reply, that's some good stuff to know.

I think I'm gonna get a hand impact tool to get the cover off. Seems like it should do the job.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
After you get the cover off you'll see a small hole in the cover along side the tunnel where the clutch actuator cam goes. That's where the missing pin goes. Some pins come from the factory only glued in with a glob of epoxy. Those fall out.

You can make a new pin with a short length of 3/32" steel. You can use a roll pin too but whatever you install you'll be better off to peen the top edge over the end of the pin so it can not come out again. Cut the pin short enough that you can do this. Make it short enough the it doesn't protrude above the surface to leave some metal to peen over.

After the pin is installed the clutch cam will only go back in be aligning the flat side so it slides past the pin. When it is in and facing toward the rear of the bike the pin will not let it "pop out" again.
As was noted above you need to lubricate all the parts inside that cover with a good bearing grease before reassembling and periodically afterwards.
Good luck.

Tom

alec

Apr 26, 2016
Maine, USA
After you get the cover off you'll see a small hole in the cover along side the tunnel where the clutch actuator cam goes. That's where the missing pin goes. Some pins come from the factory only glued in with a glob of epoxy. Those fall out.

You can make a new pin with a short length of 3/32" steel. You can use a roll pin too but whatever you install you'll be better off to peen the top edge over the end of the pin so it can not come out again. Cut the pin short enough that you can do this. Make it short enough the it doesn't protrude above the surface to leave some metal to peen over.

After the pin is installed the clutch cam will only go back in be aligning the flat side so it slides past the pin. When it is in and facing toward the rear of the bike the pin will not let it "pop out" again.
As was noted above you need to lubricate all the parts inside that cover with a good bearing grease before reassembling and periodically afterwards.
Good luck.

Tom
Will do, thanks.