Which camera do you use

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
After watching a lot of video of m/b rides I noticed that the type of camera used was not in a lot of the threads. I plan to add the type of camera and mount and any other information that helps other get started doing good videos from the start.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's likely you know this, but youtube, photobucket & the like reformat the files, reducing their size and are often not the best examples of what folk's cameras can do... but starting with a better original always helps lol

For what you're prolly after, it's hard to beat the abilities of the popular GoPro variants. I'll admit I was torn, I really wanted a GoPro... but the reality for me is I take lots more stills then movies, I'm not a huge fan of the "fish eye" lens effect & as I could get a better resolution for less investment I went with a company & model series I'd already had great satisfaction with. It's also comparatively tiny, so it's always in my pocket & ready to get that shot I'd otherwise miss;

Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera, 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom, 24mm Wide-Angle Lens & 1080p HD Video

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Yes I did know they have to reformat videos for storage size, what I have in mind is a brief description of what is used and where it is mounted. For me the handle bar mount has been the worst quality wise. I have a Sony Cyber-shot 16 mega pixels that does well, I think it also has shake compensation.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been using a Nikon Coolpix S-3300. Not the greatest. The lens, or maybe it's the electronics, just doesn't allow for really clear vids. My first choice was the same camera that Barely has but for whatever reason I couldn't get it to format into something that Movie Maker would recognize. (I'm a computer dummy) so I took it back and exchanged it for the Nikon. The Canon made far better videos however.

I use a helmet mount that I made from aluminum. It screws to the right side using one of the bubble face shield snaps. At least that works well. However when using a helmet mount you have to remember not to look around too much, moving your head. I've learned to use my peripheral vision more and that cuts down on the fast panning that gets annoying to watch.

I've wanted to experiment with some camera mounts that place the camera high and way off to one side so you get a view of the bike. I remember one vid posted by a member that had the camera about four or five feet over his head, looking down and forward. He also had it mounted to the rear, behind the back wheel looking forward.
Being creative makes for better vids. Of course music always enhances a video. As long as it isn't rap, which isn't music anyway :)

Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Using a Fuji T410; I'd love a GoPro but I figured at $40-$50 a pop for the point and shoot cameras I can replace them 6 times for the price of a GoPro.

And this Fuji has lasted me 4 years which is amazing considering the abuse I put it through using it as a helmet cam.

Attachments

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
I use a cannon T2i for most of my pictures/video

but it's a full sized SLR so, even though I have, strapping it to my helmet isn't a practical option for shooting while riding. (still working on that .)

I have had good results with a Kodak easy share Z1485 iS

(I have had it for a few years may be replaced with new model) it's small enough to helmet mount takes good 14MP stills and real good video with the default settings, thanks to optical image stabilization but, it's only 720p.

I'm currently using a sj1000 1080P Full HD Sports Action Camera as my helmet cam

This camera's at 1080p and $65 shipped was worth taking a shot on. So far I'm happy with the results.

Link to camera - http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Dashcam-G-Sensor-Detection-Degrees/dp/B00DTKXB04

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
One of the best mounting locations I've seen was in Bike nuts bomber video, he's using a go pro. I would prefer the camera be in a fixed location rather than on my helmet because my videos make me look spastic because of the amount of times I look around. I like Tom said need to work on keeping my movement to a minimum

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
While I'd much prefer saying that the little camera I bought was terrific, a wise investment and makes award winning videos... can't do that since I wasted my money on junk. I'm referring to a wee little muvi veho sold through Amazon. I could not get XP to recognize it, Ubuntu laughs at the thought and my Chromebook is not designed for that sort of input. I have no idea if it works or not and admit to being digitally challenged.
Many years ago I did a lot of film making, but that was with actual movie film mostly in single 8 with fujifilm, but also some super 8 and some 16 mm. Camera work I understand and so, too, film editing, but I know nothing about video cameras. I had wanted to put together bike films using stationary shots edited together with ones from riders point of view and make something easy on the eyes to watch. I don't have the money for go pro and am not sure at this point that I want to invest the time and energy into how to edit and manipulate video. If I can't do it well then I guess I don't want to do it. I had wanted to do something special for my Indian Hiawatha riding through the forests of northern Minnesota with a sound track merging live sounds of the bike, sounds of the forest along with pow wow drumming and singing. Seems a wee bit ambitious for my cracker box prize muvi veho or is it veho muvi? Don't know. Don't care. Don't work. (Don't buy.)
SB

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have a pair of DVR sunglasses myself, after seeing the video Paul posted earlier I ordered them from eBay. They do pretty good for what I paid for them.

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just wondered if anyone is using an older Gopro Hero 2? The yearning for making video has not gone away so I made the plunge and bought a used gopro 2 on ebay. Should come next week and I'm anxious to start getting familiar with it. First thing I have to do is upgrade my OS on my Windows laptop. The camera software upgrades require XP service pack 3 or greater. Mine is service pack 2 and I need to leave XP behind anyway since since there is no longer any support from Microsoft. My brother is sending his copy of an upgrade to Windows 7, so I should be okay then to re-install the gopro software.

The gopro 2 will accept a wifi bacpack so that it can be controlled remotely with my i-phone and I can view the footage through it... also start and stop, change settings. I want that capability so that I can set up shots with the camera on a tripod recording a bike coming into and out of the shot. I won't need a second person to help. As soon as I know my little gopro works OK I'll order a wifi backpac through Amazon for about $70.00.

There is now a free ap so that iphones and android phones (and tablets) can do this remote control. Nice. I can also use my android tablet to do editing since there's an ap for that, too. My android tablet has more computing power than my old laptop, so I'll try going that route rather than using Gopro's editing software which is only for Windows and best for newer laptops with more powerful hardware.

Lots of fooling around in order to do what I want to do. I used to enjoy making films as a young man in my 20's using 8mm and 16mm. I made up storyboards with carefully planned shots and did careful and involved editing putting the final film together. It was hugely satisfying to do. I suspect the technical difficulties of video may make doing the same unlikely, but I should still be able to put together a nice video or two or three.

One I want to make is of the Indian Hiawatha tri-car once it is up and running. I want to have the video taken on Bear Head Rd. leading from where I live on Eaglesnest Lake 3 to Bear Head State Park about 5 miles away through the forest. It is a beautiful ride past paper birch trees and towering white pine forest with a sparkling lake now and then to be passed by. I've seen timber wolves, moose, fox and innumerable white tail deer along this ride... Bald eagles, loons, heron, beaver, etc. In short, pretty stunning scenery where I live and ride. The road is smooth asphalt and goes up, down and around with many changes in view... so I have all that going for me. Then there's the tri-car which should be an eyeful. I hope so anyway.

I know this sounds ambitious and the video I see in my mind's eye may not come close to the one I can actually make. So it is with the bikes I build... the paint is always better as I imagine it than how it is after scrapes, scratches and sun fade. The realities of life seldom match our ambitions. But we can have serious intent, eh? Why not have things to aspire to?

The sound track I expect to be a frustration. In my imaginary version I incorporate some natural sounds (engine and wind, perhaps voice) along with sounds from nature (loon calling) and the music of pow wow drumming and singing. The video wants to have a number of cuts with some remote by way of a tripod and others point of view using the camera mounted to the tri-car (not handle bar) and much of the video point of view using mostly a chest mount. Shooting the clips will be time consuming as one scene might involve three different shots (three different ride bys) which get cut and edited together. I can see myself sitting indoors months later at the tablet editing as snow falls outside my window. Many hours will be spent in planning, shooting and finally editing and uploading a video that might last just a few minutes. Why bother? Because I want to. Same as building a bike from junk. If I just wanted to ride I could buy a scooter. But I like making things, I like lying awake at night building a dream bike. It's fun and when you climb onto your pony come spring time and ride off into the sunset on something you made... well, you know what I'm talking about, right?

I know how to work movie film and I'm hoping I can learn how to make something nice with video. I'd like to try anyway.
SB

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My son in law used a go pro he has had for a while to shot the red oak covered bridge video I posted this week. He was accessing the camera from his phone, he uses a window 7 laptop to edit with. Just for info go pro soft ware is a free download and can be used with many cameras, my Sony uses mp4 format and can be edited with the go pro software.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Greg,
Yes, those were nice videos. I will certainly try the gopro editing software, but I know that my old laptop will be slow under Windows 7. I read up on the system requirements for 7 and while my laptop is beyond the minimum required, not by all that much so I'm guessing the editing might be a slow go and might also cause some crashes. I'm hoping to get by using the more powerful Android tablet and editing software called Action Studio Video Editor. We'll see how that works out. I really don't want to buy another Windows laptop and don't have the money for a decent one. I am migrating away from Windows as much as I can doing a dual boot with Ubuntu linux and also a cheap chromebook, but there are some things I need Windows for at least until there is an alternative in a different O.S. Apple is beyond my economy. This will give me something bike related to do this winter, climbing up the steep learning curve of video. All this computer stuff drives me nuts sometimes, but is pretty cool and empowering, too. Access to this forum, for example.
SB

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Silverbear my son in law was using the go pro, I think its better than any of the cameras I've tried. My Sony cyber shot is the best I have, it like the go pro has shake compensation.