the best upgrade for for $6

GoldenMotor.com

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
so i've been doing some researching on an intake that faces my front tire and not my rear. eventually i figured out what i was searching for all along, a ram air intake. but, when i was doing my researching on this ram air intake all i heard was "it's pointless" "it wont doing anything unless your at speeds of 70 miles or above." i didnt believe what i was hearing. so what better way to find out the truth then to test it yourself! i went down to lowes and got some simple rubber plumbing stuff with hose clamps, and a second plastic plumbing piece. now i dont have that many modifications on my bike. i have a rt carb, and a 41 tooth sprocket, and i took out my baffle. the finished product resulted in better idle, amazing throttle response, absolutely no bogging or 4 stroking, and a decent increase in torque. i highly advise you folks to atleast give this a try. but make sure u check ur spark plug continuously to make sure ur not running to lean because this will cause that easily. heres some pics, it definitely added to the look of my bike and i love it!

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/jonathan_crippen1/IMG_20130128_203713_zpse724ce0d.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/jonathan_crippen1/IMG_20130128_203725_zpsaf6e13e0.jpg

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/jonathan_crippen1/IMG_20130128_203736_zps6a9818de.jpg

p.s. because i run my exhaust without a baffle, this made my bike quite loud but my neighbors party 24/7 so i hate them anywayslaff

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
so my top speed went from 32 mph to approximately 38 mph, my torque had a great increase too! but i need to find my baffle and put it back on.. if i can find it ill cut the piece of pipe on the baffle and drill a second hole in it so ill still have that nice deep sound that i love.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That looks cool, but it's not a ram air intake.
Ram air intake utilizes a large scoop to catch the air and force in into the intake.
Your power gains are from gutting the restrictive exhaust.
If you want to really wake up your engine, get an expansion pipe from SBP or make the necessary modifications to fit a KX60 pipe to your engine and bike.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Ram air intake utilizes a large scoop to catch the air and force in into the intake.
If you want to really wake up your engine, get an expansion pipe from SBP or make the necessary modifications to fit a KX60 pipe to your engine and bike.
I definitely agree...I've run baffled and straight shot pipes...the unbaffled pipe offers up more power for sure...I've also done an air"scoop" intake...does not make that much difference in performance...all of this is in my personal opinion from personal experience

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
i had the exhaust gutted wwaaayyy before i put this ram air on so yes this performance increase i've gained is from the ram air intake. and yes it is a ram air intake but it doesnt have a scoop. ram air is when air is forced into the engine, a scoop helps more air get forced into the intake thats all. you should try this out for yourself and i gaurantee you will see an increase.

p.s. not everyone can afford an expansion chamber. and thats why i dont have one yet

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
or more like velocity stack than air ram, except V-stacks dont work non-reed 2-strokes. I bet the gains are from preserving the charged air in the elbow.

You probably couldn't 'ram' air through that air filter at bike-velocity. dont these carburetors require a vacuum for the venturi to work anyway? If so, you'll blow your engine dry if it was actually 'ramming' air

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Actually the best performance boost for $6 is simply using an NGK Iridium spark plug, I swear by that.

Any kind of air ram will help a little, you are increasing the outside barometric air pressure.
The bigger the difference between the motor vacuum and outside air the more flow you get, that is why they always try to speed test carb motors as close to sea level as possible, more outside air pressure.

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
Genisisonyx29, I love that tank you have on there, that bike is hot! Where did you get it and for how much? Thanks in advance
its a honda xr80 tank. I got for 30 bucks off ebay with out a gas cap and a decent amount of rust on the inside. I had some chemical to flush all the rust out and I didn't want to pay 40 for a petcock so I jigged up my own with a some small piping and acid core solder. and I had to but the rubber mounts for it. all it this tank cost me around 60 to 70 bucks. also itit had quite a bit of dents but I fill them all with bondo and I'm just getting around to painting it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
and thanks for the compliment on my bike:) I'm almost done repainting the whole bike, wait til u see it.
Not criticizing, just an observation. If you haven't already, you might want to relocate the fuel filter so it isn't laying against the cylinder head fins. Over a period of time you might rub a hole in the plastic from vibration. Just a suggestion.

Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Actually the best performance boost for $6 is simply using an NGK Iridium spark plug, I swear by that.

Any kind of air ram will help a little, you are increasing the outside barometric air pressure.
I doubt that either of those mods will give you a performance increase,
placebo effect?

If you want to put these mods up against a dyno bring your bikes out
to the April 13th race to see if they show a measurable difference.

SoSauty's ebike on the dyno at the Oct race with Ryan the "dyno man"

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
Not criticizing, just an observation. If you haven't already, you might want to relocate the fuel filter so it isn't laying against the cylinder head fins. Over a period of time you might rub a hole in the plastic from vibration. Just a suggestion.

Tom
no criticizing there, more like a word of advice and that I'm always open to hearinging. ya it was only like that in the picture but I still need to figure out a better way to route it. any ideas?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I doubt that either of those mods will give you a performance increase,
placebo effect?
I have no idea about an air ram, that was a logical guess and couldn't be tested on a stationary Dyno, but I swear by Iridium plugs and have seen and felt the difference first hand a couple of dozen times and now an included stock item on all my HP builds.

Granted I replace the cheesy stock wire direct from the magneto to the CDI with nice black insulated 18g cord and that may be a small factor in what the spark plug can produce, but if that plays a part for an extra $2 even better.

It don't matter how much fuel/air, X-chamber back flow, mix or the compression you max, it means nothing if it won't all ignite.