stock 1 liter tank on my tanaka & carry a 2 liter mix bottle in my
inframe. That gives me a good excuse to take a break every 30
or so miles. 1000 mi, gee! so far my longest was 380 down to
the cranberry coast,(biblical deluge the first 3 days). Site won't
let me use pics twice.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
I enjoyed reading your story but I wish you'd have given us a little more info--yiu know, a few numbers, like how much you spent on gas, what was your average speed, how many cc is your engine. I know this is an old thread, but it is worth reviving.

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well if numbers are needed , here some small ones eh heh heh heh :p. The cost for fuel for the entire 987 mile round trrip came out to be $21.75, for the entire eight days while I was on the road from sudbury to wallaceburg and back again. The motor I'm using a hs 142 series, ohv 4 stroke motor putting out at around 2.5 h.p.and the transmission I was using was the ezm pace setter transmission with the 5.45 inch rear cast iron drive pulley rather than the stock 4.95 inch rear cast iron pulley. With the front primary 2 inch drive pulley combined with the rear 5.45 inch cast iron rear pulley and the 10 tooth sprocket on the maxtorque ss clutch to the 68t sprocket on the secondary drive, gave me a ratio of 18:76:1 and I was able to maintain a steady pace speed of 24.5 m.p.h. , even with the bike and with rider weighing in at around 250 lb.'s fully loaded with the tour pack which weighed in at around 75 lb.'s to 80 lb.'s with gear on board. The bike has a front suspension rack as well as a rack on the rear stays of the frame and i put 4 pannier bags and had a tool bag under the seat and a small bag tied in to the handle bar as well. When I first built it, I built it extra heavy duty , as to handle the every day rigours of long distance motoriezed bike touring eh. :)

xct2 cflg

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
WW, that's an impressive adventure in my book. I'm running the same set up with the pace setter and it has been perfect for the past year or so. I've been running that motor for nearly 4 years and it has been great. Thanks for taking the time to post the info.

Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your trip was an amazing accomplishment and you, sir, are a tribute to the motorized bicycle community. It would be good to see more folks using their bikes for more than just putzing around the neighborhood. Nearly 1000 miles is commendable.

Thank you for sharing it with us and bumping this old thread for the benefit of newer members who weren't aware of your achievement.

Tom

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Let's see: 987 miles on 21.75$. How much per gallon were you paying for gas? Lets suppose it was about 3$. That means you bought 7.25 gallons. That means you are getting about 137 miles per gallon. Not bad.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Robin, Check out EZMMotorbike. They have dealers around the country. Don't know if there are any up your way, but someone should be able to help.
Dan

Panhead

Mar 20, 2015
Michigan U.S.A.
I am slightly in awe. This sounds like the stuff my pals & I used to do on our Harleys, & the way you have that sucker loaded down makes it LOOK like a Harley!

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Thanks guy's. I greatly apprciate the kind words and apprciate sharing my journeys with other's as a good story of how motoriezed bicycle touring can be done safely and properly, as well as showing how a properly egineered build can go the distance and be a fun ride that I can cruise on all day long. I have vids of the first half of my trip out to my buddies place btw :)

xct2 cflg

Last edited: