Will it fit? ;-)

GoldenMotor.com

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Alright.. so..new member here obviously.

A little about me:
Full time student working on MBA/ helicopter mechanic/ part time motorcycle mechanic.
And this is my usual ride when it comes to motorized bikes.

So..as the story goes.
Seen a video on youtube, and realized I had to have a motorized bicycle.

Step 1: ordered a motor (66cc slanthead) from kings.
Step 2: started researching common problems on this forum.
Step 3: decided on a moutain bike for brakes and front suspension
Step 4: found one, but don't think it will fit without some major modificiation and figured I would ask if anyone here has any experience with this bike and if it would fit?
Plus, it has amazingly strong spokes and a beefy frame.

Another bike I like, the rear suspension kinda worries me because of the slack it could potentially give to the chain. Any thoughts?
Men's 26" Avalon Cruiser, Avalon Bike by NEXT - Walmart.com

If both of those fail being potential candidates, I am putting the motor on a roadmaster and being done with it.

As far as installing the motor. I fully intend to upgrade the sparkplug and wire even before the first run. I will locktite every bolt within site. I also intend to drill holes and safety wire every bolt I deem necessary for extra insurance. (overkill perhaps, but thats how I roll) I am drilling a hole through the frame for the chain tensioner, porting the exhaust/ exhaust gasket, and removing the baffle upon the motor's arrival.

If there is any other suggestions that I missed reading these forums.. feel free to speak up. Maybe upgrading the chain immediately? I have some spare GSXR sprockets laying around.. Would it be too much work to make them work? I haven't had a chance to look at what comes with the kit too closely yet. Yes yes.. I know.. Overkill.

That should be a long enough 2nd post. dnut

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Hi and welcome to the forum. The Avalon isn't a good choice because of the rear suspension. The only way to tell if the motor will fit in the other bike is to measure it. If you drill a hole in the chain stay for the tensioner try and have someone available to take pictures of "how you roll".

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
If you want to go over kill, get at least grade 5 steel bolts and replace EVERY bolt in sight. Don't drill "through" the frame for your tensioner, drill into it and just thread in a bolt.

While we're talking about drilling, don't drill through the frame to use the T-style universal mounting bracket, get the U-style. You will need one for the front tube on that frame.

Other things to think about -

Jetting your carb.
Alternative driven sprocket mounting. (clamshell, hd axle kit, disc rotor mount).
Teflon spray the inside of all cable housing.

Personally, I suggest to always remove the cranks derailleur, as they can jam up on the rear right motor mount. I've sheared one off before and since, that's the first thing to go.

As well, it can be done, doing a full ride/softtail motored bicycle, but - I wouldn't suggest it for your first build, stick to a rigid frame.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Hi and welcome to the forum. The Avalon isn't a good choice because of the rear suspension. The only way to tell if the motor will fit in the other bike is to measure it. If you drill a hole in the chain stay for the tensioner try and have someone available to take pictures of "how you roll".
Will wait til I get my motor in so I know what my measurements needa be..as that looks like the ideal bike, but doesn't have much room..as in I know I will already have to slightly relocate the carb if it will fit.

How I roll? Elaborate please.

If you mean me personally.. I'm a baller on a budget.. (track addiction)

If you mean the bike, what am I looking for?

If you want to go over kill, get at least grade 5 steel bolts and replace EVERY bolt in sight. Don't drill "through" the frame for your tensioner, drill into it and just thread in a bolt.

While we're talking about drilling, don't drill through the frame to use the T-style universal mounting bracket, get the U-style. You will need one for the front tube on that frame.

Other things to think about -

Jetting your carb.
Alternative driven sprocket mounting. (clamshell, hd axle kit, disc rotor mount).
Teflon spray the inside of all cable housing.

Personally, I suggest to always remove the cranks derailleur, as they can jam up on the rear right motor mount. I've sheared one off before and since, that's the first thing to go.

As well, it can be done, doing a full ride/softtail motored bicycle, but - I wouldn't suggest it for your first build, stick to a rigid frame.
I forgot to mention picking up a u-bolt for the front.. Was on my list though...
Actually, I better start a checklist when I got buy this stuff.

Ok, I won't drill through it...just into.

Consider it removed.

I intended on upgrading the bolts. I just forgot to mention it.

It's an extemely simple carb. Do you know what size jet is in it and what size is ideal?

This is why I joined.. thanks people.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
5mm jets - you can get them from SickBikeParts.com

From what I've seen, .72 and .74 are the optimal upgrades for the 48cc kits, and .74 and .76 are the optimal upgrades for the 66cc kits. Every motor is unique to how you break it in, how you ride, how you maintain it and how your bike below it runs, so there's never exact figures.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
If the motor you bought has a CNS carb it has 5.85mm jets, the Dellorto jets from sick bike parts won't fit it. I do believe they will fit the NT carb though.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Engine installed and ready for first trial run.. Locktite everywhere.. did everything I knew what to do..and installed some front brakes off of a spare bicycle I had on the cruiser...

Now go figure.. my first problem after this entire install is...wait for it...

How do I get the gas cap off? No I am not kidding. It is stuck... I have no idea what is going on.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Be careful - sometimes the dog ear clip gets jammed up and /can/ flip out, rendering your cap useless. Push down really hard and unscrew it. It's just new rubber gasket material.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Thanks. Got it off. Road it around a bit.. Started up with no issues, but I just bought a new "non-chinese" plug for it to put in it anyway. Upgraded the plug wires and everything else that I said I was going to. Install wasn't that hard at all. Just a little cutting and modifying. Will adjust the carb later this evening and get it running better.. It idled well and all, but refuses to run at wide open throttle unless it is partially choked. Will post pics tomorrow.

njyork42

Apr 26, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Thanks bud.. Its a fun hobby.

I know I should have been wearing more gear through the dragon..but I had got rained on earlier in the day on the big bike and my leathers were soaked.. If that had not been the case, I would have a pic of me decked out in my leather suit, boots, gloves, the whole 9 yards..

My front tire was skitching a lot through the corners.. I was trying to push it like I do the big bike..but no suspension makes things interesting.. lol

Last edited: