Soon to be FL Rider! Looking for some advice.

GoldenMotor.com

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Hello MB!

I'm obviously new to the community and I am looking for a little bit of advice so I can jump into the world of motorbiking without being hindered!
I am looking to purchase a pre-built, new motor bike from someone the builds them in my area. The information states that it is a 66cc 2 stroke engine at 2.75 hp. A picture included showed that it was a skyhawk engine. 44 tooth rear sproket, 410 chain, 2.5 liter fuel tank( .66 gal)
He is looking to get $400 which I am all for paying. (so I can just buy and ride)

If you guys could give me some information on expected MPG, whether or not it is a quality engine, and most importantly, how fast I can expect to go! (I weight around 125lbs)

Thank you all, and hope to be riding very soon!
dance1

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
That was nice and through Nougat... another thing ask him if you can take it for a quick spin to see how it feels to you....duh. (just don't crash lol)

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Thanks for the reply and informations guys!

I'm pretty sure it is built with a Huffy 26' inch steel frame. (beach cruiser)
From the pictures, it looks like a very quality build. But we will see once I go to check it out in person!
I sent him an email asking for a little bit more information so we will see how he deals with that. Would hate to buy from someone that doesn't know or care about what they are selling.

I will do a full inspection based on Nougat's post and I plan on taking it for a nice test drive to feel it out.
I'm very excited about this and hope it all goes well!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Thanks for the reply and informations guys!

I'm pretty sure it is built with a Huffy 26' inch steel frame. (beach cruiser)
From the pictures, it looks like a very quality build. But we will see once I go to check it out in person!
I sent him an email asking for a little bit more information so we will see how he deals with that. Would hate to buy from someone that doesn't know or care about what they are selling.

I will do a full inspection based on Nougat's post and I plan on taking it for a nice test drive to feel it out.
I'm very excited about this and hope it all goes well!
Just a suggestion, adding to Nougot's thorough and conscientious checklist:

a. Check all nuts/bolts for tightness and security Loc-Tightened.

b. Check Engine and ensure there are no leaks.

c. Check and adjust chain tension if necessary (initially there will be "chain stretch").

d. Check tire pressure.

e. Check all cables/controls for proper operation.

f. Critical check spokes on wheels for tightness and or missing spokes.

g. Critical check brakes for proper function.

h. Critical check wheels for wobble this is bad sign as bearings may have failed!

These few Items Nougot, myself and others have suggested to check could save your life.

Good Luck,
Peace Crazy Horse..shft.

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Thanks again guys.

I am pretty sure the bike on this particular build will be a cranbrook. If this is the case I will make sure the fenders are either replaced or reinforced.
All notes that you guys have provided will be looked over when inspecting the bike and before the purchase is made.

Also, I am inquiring to another builder about his bikes. Of course the quality of the build is the most important, but the pricing is also something I have an eye out for. But I'm sure since they are local builders they are willing to haggle a bit.

EDIT: I went over the pictures and there are some that are the Huffy Cranbrook, and some are the Schwinn Jaguar. How is the stock Jaguar compared to the Cranbrook?

Last edited:

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Note taken.

Thanks for the insight. If I have a choice I will probably shoot for the Jag, if not, the Cranbrook still seems pretty solid. Fenders are not of high importance for me. If they are not of quality on the cranbrook, I will most likely just remove them.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
SOFRESH

I AM A CENTRAL FLORIDA BIKER IN WINTER GARDEN

be prepared for down time, lay in a spare throttle cable and buy a better throttle assembly (look at sick Bikes) The bad design on stock throttle bends the cable back and forth and it fails at the lead slug--happened twicet here ---plan on needed a spring fork and plan on replacing in the seat if you are an old fart like me.

DO add handbrakes too ! The coaster brake if applied too aggressively will wrap it's strapping around the wheel and cause EXTREME crunchy-action
I also plan on replacing tyres and tubes even tho i am strictly a street driver, the stock's just not very durable tyres. Tubes too

Best of luck and keep warm (inside joke to Floridan) ;>)

Yodar

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I offer the humble suggestion of adding the price of a DOT certified helmet into your cost estimate. If you like the wind in your hair, I won't press you about it. But I could tell you a good story about an accident.

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
So I just wanted to let you guys know that I am now officially a motor bicycler!

I got my bike, and it is a Huffey Cranbrook with a 66cc Grubee Skyhawk motor as I had suspected. The fenders were removed by the seller, so that was no problem.
Honestly, I was so excited and in a hurry that I only got to check a few things out. However I did test drive it, and everything seemed fine. Thing is, it was my first time riding one so I had no idea if it was all working properly or not.

So, after having it a few days I have gotten a little bit more familiar with it and how it runs. I am still breaking the engine in, so I am not 100% sure of what it is capable yet. But I have taken it on a few rides and as the miles are put on, it seems like it is gaining a bit more power. I have not held it at full throttle yet due to the break in period, but I hit it once and it felt like it was doing about 30-35.

HOWEVER.. I have noticed that once you get to about 25-30mph it vibrates much more then I think it should. At first I thought thats just how it was, but it turns out that the front wheel has a little wobble. (even at a stand still, spinning the wheel by hand) I checked it out and it looks like the rim itself has a little bend in it.
Back wheel is fine and spins normally.

A few little things that I have noticed as well;
After a 30 min cruise the carb comes very loose and can wiggle around and even be taken off by hand.
Also the idle dropped and now the bike will shut off if I don't manually idle it. Just need to mess around with the idle speed and it will be fine. Just thought it was weird that one day it was fine and the next day it wasn't.

I believe both of these are due to the extreme vibration that is being caused by the wobble in the tire.

I have sent the seller an email regarding the issue and am awaiting a reply.

I have a few really old beach cruisers with the 26 inch wheels that my family picked up from a garage sale awhile ago. I was thinking about swapping the front tire out until I could get the issue resolved.
Think it would be fine? The visual appearance of the tire in in questionable condition which makes me iffy about it. But I put it on the see if there would be a wobble and there was not. Just for that I want to switch them out and see how it is. But I would rather be on the safe side..

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
hey guys Iam new hear too so thankyou for the info I want to build my self from kit and bike ! i allreaby got the bike so whats the best kit ??? a 2010 gt5 gurbee ? and who ships to cali ? 1 guy got a raw kit for $225 ! are the raw kits good ???

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Just went out to check a few things out on the bike and I just noticed that the rear wheel wobbles a good amount. Everything is all tight but when you press the wheel from side to side it wiggles while the frame remains in place.
Seems to be a bearing issue on the rear.

I am going to hold off on riding the bike until I can get this all situated with the seller..
(Next time I am going to have to build it myself so I can't blame anyone but myself)

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Typical Cranbrook issue with the wobble

I helped Yodar build his CB and his has the same extreme wobble
I also had the wobble on a Schwinn I built for my son

With the Schwinn I simply tightened the wheel up a little and it went away
I believe that Yodar's bike needs new upgraded bearings and races

While it does need to b repaired it is not a huge safety issue in the short run
Yodar rides his bike about 10 miles one way to me house with those wobbly wheels and my son rides five miles one way to work

Where in Florida are you?? Orlando area?

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Good to hear..
I will look into getting some new bearing soon but for now I will go ahead and tighten everything up and see how it is.

I live in Ft Myers, Florida. Its South West Florida, around 2 hours or so away from Orlando.

I was checking out a few sites and I think I might get some parts in a week or so.
a better carb with the K&N air filter, exhaust, and a 36 tooth sproket.

Haha, I like to go fast. But if I do plan on going any faster then it does already, I would love to fix this wobble issue!

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Every bike I have, including the Dyno, Workman, and even the Whizzer has some slight side to side wobble in the rear wheel

We need more O-Town riders

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Is there any way to lessen this wobble? There are some marks on the wall of the tire from the chain hitting it. Doesn't look too serious, just had me worried for a bit.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Is there any way to lessen this wobble? There are some marks on the wall of the tire from the chain hitting it. Doesn't look too serious, just had me worried for a bit.
If you're really good at tightening and loosening just the right spokes (and you're feeling anal-retentive one day) I'll bet you could get the wobble to a minimum, but it's a real trial-and-error process, believe me.