Planning my first project !!!

GoldenMotor.com

Nikos00

Sep 6, 2014
Greece
Hi guy's

I'm Nick and I'm planning to start my first project.... I'm thinking something between Cyclone Board Track Racer or Indian Track Racer.

I want to start buying some parts but I need your advises .

1. Which is the correct dimensions for the tyres?

2. For the motor ...I see some gas kit's which is nice but I think is a little beat small in dimensions so they left a lot of empty space in the frame, if I put a motorcycle engine is very difficult to do it?
(motor under 200cc)

3. About brakes... drum brakes front and rear is ok?

Thanks for your time guys, sorry my english is not very good !!!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Nick.

Never have to worry about your English. Can understand you just fine.

Just my thoughts and not intended as advice but 200cc is huge for a bicycle. I think if you want that much power a motorcycle or scooter would be a better and safer choice.

Drum brakes are fine although disk brakes are better.

But many thoughts and opinions on this.

Ride safe

Nikos00

Sep 6, 2014
Greece
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply...

I try to find a motor near to 100cc ! I think is a good power and weight combo !

I don't want to put disc brakes because of the look of the bicycle... so I will take drum brakes to install ! Thanks !

I see for 26'' wheels but what tyre size? 26X 2.2 is good?

Thanks,
Nick

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Drum brakes look way cooler, for sure. I have a worksman front drum and it is my favorite wheel. Just looks old world, motorbike. Had to add side pull brakes as the drum brake alone didn't have enough stopping power.

Larger tires make for a better and more comfortable ride and look better, I think. If you are going belt or chain drive from a inframe mounted engine, sometimes clearing larger tires can be difficult.

But as long as it clears, bigger is better IMVHO (In MY Very Humble Opinion)

Another thing about large engines, especially large 4 stroke engines is they require wide pedal cranks and are very difficult to pedal. Just stuff to consider. The largest engine I have is 79cc and find it to physically large and much prefer 50cc's. Still get the same speeds and almost the torque. I've only been to Greece a couple of times but man, you folks got some big hills. So thinking you really going to want the use of your pedals. On my 79cc, they are more foot rests.

Another thing to consider is local laws on engine size. Might have to register it if over a certain cc. Then might need lights and horn. Good idea to have both anyway.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Welcome Nick.

If you intend to ride your creation on public roads, be sure to look into applicable regulations and classifications for motor size. My 150cc motor places me squarely in the motorcycle category. Along with that comes many hoops to jump through such as VIN application, registration and safety inspection.

26 inch is a VERY popular bicycle wheel size and there are many retro-looking tire choices available. I prefer the wider "balloon" tires. I'm currently using Fat Franks. If you have to pass an inspection as a "motorcycle" you may want to consider 21 inch motorcycle wheels.

As Dan mentioned, a 4-stroke motorcycle engine, even a small one, is pretty wide. The pedal crank on my bike is 12 inches wide and I doubt ever actually use the pedals to propel the bike. You mentioned having space available but I don't know of ANY bike frame that has enough room for a motorcycle engine.

I'm using moped drums which I believe are the same size as the Worksman bike hubs. They do the job okay but if I was starting again, I would go with a larger front hub from an older dirt bike.

Nikos00

Sep 6, 2014
Greece
Hi guys !!!

I m planning to have a bike as possible as I can to the prototype but safety is first!

I don't want to have the bike for public roads but I want to take it sometime with trailer to a classic motocycle/bike meeting and some short rides there or on a track!

Ha ha Dan you have right we have a lot of hills here so... the motor is always an issue ! I saw on youtube the 79cc bicycle kits and it run's very good ... and the price for these motors is not bad...

I 'm planning to make my first parts order ... so I will take the drums, wheels an tyres, steering and some other smalls !!!

Thank you guys is very important for me !
Nick

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ahh, Nick. Good information. For just off road, be sure to check out the racing threads http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35
And board track builds. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...544j11#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=board track&gsc.page=1
For some possible inspiration. Some really great stuff.

I've never got around to it but I think the all time most beautiful Motor Bike ever built was the 1903 Harley Davidson.

https://www.google.com/search?q=190...v&sa=X&ei=MhUOVKqQItXfoATcvoDgCw&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Some folks here built replicas. Just uber cool.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...71544j11#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=1903 Harley Davidson

And you are so right! Safety first.

Nikos00

Sep 6, 2014
Greece
Hi again !!!

The Harley is very beautiful I also read a lot of threads which give me a lot of infos...

Yesterday I made my first mistake ... I buy an old frame but it was 24'' and I want 26'' so I have to buy another one !!

I also buy a sturmay archer rear coaster hub which I restored and looks and works perfect !!!

Here in Greece there isn't any place to buy stuff for Board Racers and the taxes buying from America is very high so I try to find some stuff from here and the rest I will order from america !

Nick

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, Buddy. There are no mistakes. Only learning opportunities.

Turn a cruiser's handle bars upside down, and it is a BTR. (In appearance and function) Just keeps the rider down low for better aerodynamics. Mighty uncomfortable ride. But cool for a show bike.

As far as bicycles, I would kill to get my hands on some of the older European made frames. Some really cool stuff.

Ludwig is in the UK. He comes up with some great finds and classic European motorbike stuff. Worth a look thru.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...8j5628870j7#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Ludwig&gsc.page=1

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Right, let's look at what you intend to do, and how to achieve it. You say you want an engine big enough to look good in the bike. Do you want a 2 stroke, or a 4 stroke that looks old and mechanical?

If it is too powerful, it can endanger you. This seems to me to indicate an older, but widespread, engine, probably a sidevalve. The English Suffolk lawn mowers are 75cc (importantly, the thread to hold the flywheel on is a left hand [wrong way] thread, do not try and unscrew it the "correct" way). The Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Tecumseh engines from America are bigger, I think. I do not know about the European manufacturers and their sizes.

The Villiers 98cc 2 strokes are quite common over here, again, I don't know about Greece. Several people have used them in board track type bikes, and they work very well, but are not physically very big.

One source of motors is old farm equipment, like pumps and generators, or powered tools. Another is to buy a modern 80cc Honda 4 stroke, or a Chinese copy. Change the oil in the Chinese one before you use it for modern, European, and safe lubricant.

Continental have a 50kph rated tyre if you want to go that far. Consider bolting stays to the bike's forks like the oldtimers did as well, this will stop them collapsing.

Nikos00

Sep 6, 2014
Greece
Hi guys

Dan thanks for everything !!!

Yes bicycles are very nice to restore , I have 3 already restored by me and I am in progress for another one !

Ludwig II thanks for the respond my friend... I don't have problem if the motor is 2 or 4 stroke I want to be horizontal for more beautiful result!

Here in Greece the only easy motors is like Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Lifan... but in low cc in not horizontal !

I see the motors of other uses but i don't know if its easy to put in the bicycle...

The motor of the link you post is like the motor I want (horizontal, good size).... and the price is very good too !!!

13kg is good weight for the frame or is very heavy?

today I get 2 ...26'' wheels I will order the front brake hub and I sent them to put new spokes and I'm ready for tyres !!!

I found 26'' X 2.2 Continenatal and Im planning to use these....

Nick

Nikos00

Sep 6, 2014
Greece
hi curt

Thanks for the reply !
Yes I have see this thread.. and propably the womans frame is the best choice ... I try to find one because the loops are the most difficult part of the frame !

Thanks
Nick

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Something I have only seen once, and it's probably somewhere on this site, is a scooter engine with the transmission cut off, to let the front pulley drive a fixed ratio belt reduction drive, and then a chain to the back wheel. Does anybody else remember it?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
All the modern scooter engines use belt drive, so taking a belt drive from the engine pulley is dead easy, and there's a good chance a sprocket could replace the pulley if that's what is wanted.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Something has come to mind, the PA50 Honda, sold in Europe as the Camino, and America as the Hobbit. That engine was a completely separate unit from it's transmission, if you can find one.

Importantly, the reduction gear for the drive is discreetly hidden inside the rear hub assembly, which carries spokes and an ordinary wheel rim.

Last edited: