Suzuli K10 fork watch/warning

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hey Guys as for the fork it is great.Most of us bought the 3/4 clamp size and reemed it out to fit a 7/8 bar.I did this a year ago and yesterday after my ride I noticed a crack on the top clamp.So just keep an I out.I now have 2 seperate claps which came off of a jet ski holding my bars.Works great!brnot

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Just curious as to how you reamed your clamp out, as the method or process you used may have something to do with the cracking? I used a dremel cutoff wheel to ream mine. Its also possible that the cracking may not have anything to do with the reaming at all, and possibly was caused by something else such as rough riding conditions, or erratic weather patterns, or who knows what? I'll definitely keep an eye on mine, just hoping it was an isolated incident.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Just curious as to how you reamed your clamp out, as the method or process you used may have something to do with the cracking? I used a dremel cutoff wheel to ream mine. Its also possible that the cracking may not have anything to do with the reaming at all, and possibly was caused by something else such as rough riding conditions, or erratic weather patterns, or who knows what? I'll definitely keep an eye on mine, just hoping it was an isolated incident.
I also did it with a dremel a year or 2 ago.As you know it is pretty straight forward as you just grind off the raised area on the 2 ends of the underside.It just broke and I just figured I would put it out there so people can keep an eye on the clamp.I now have some beefy clamps!!!!No problems!dance1dance1!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Its funny, two weeks ago I was thinking this probably won't happen to me (or at least hoping it wouldn't lol). This past Friday I was working on the bike and went to tighten my bolts holding my top handlebar clamp, and as I tightened them the top part of the clamp cracked. #@$&! So I ordered the least expensive replacement I could find on ebay, which turned out to be clamps off a 4 wheeler, and two piece, not one piece like the oem clamp. I got them today, and inspected the bottom part of the clamp to make sure it hadn't cracked. It hadn't, so on to replacing the top clamp. I took the broken clamp off and tried to fit the new ones up. They were a smidge too wide, but luckily they were shaped kind of triangular, so I went to home depot and got a metal file (they were aluminum so not too hard to file) and got to work. I filed them flat and straight enough to fit, and got some longer bolts to mount them with. They're on there now, nice and snug. Hopefully won't have to worry about it at all anymore.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Anyone mounting their handlebar ala bicycle style, using stem and steerer tube? If that is possible, it would raise the bar (pun intended) and move the handlebar towards the driver a bit.

Just wondering.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have curved handlebars, so I find them quite comfortable in the position they are in. I would not want to use a gooseneck on triple trees anyway, I wouldn't think it would be as stable.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm really quite surprised you guys were able to crack the top cap clamp on these forks if you were using the correct diameter of handlebar or thereabouts.

This is the same triple tree set-up (and fork) as I had on a Suzuki 120cc trail bike as a kid. I am also running this fork on the tandem build and no cracks in sight. I will keep an eye on them as I did ream the clamp to fit a different sized motorcycle handlebar on them. ;)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have curved handlebars, so I find them quite comfortable in the position they are in. I would not want to use a gooseneck on triple trees anyway, I wouldn't think it would be as stable.
I meant using a standard cruiser handlebar and stem, not gooseneck.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm confused, how would you use a standard stem and steerer tube without using a gooseneck? Do you mean using a threadless fork? Either way, the standard handlebar clamps for the k10s are connected to the steerer tube and the forks, and I'm sure they are designed that way for a reason. Standard bicycle mounting wouldn't allow for that, and wouldn't be as stable.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Standard cruiser bike components position the handlebar at standard cruiser handlebar height and location. That's what I used on my Whizzer when I installed Whizzer Ambassador triple tree w/disc brake front end. The triple tree on my Whizzer used cruiser bike handlebar positioning w/gooseneck stem. The Ambassador triple tree had the two handlebar clamps AND the option of using cruiser bike handlebar positioning. I chose to use the cruiser bike handlebar position.

My fork is threaded, btw.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Can we get a pic 5-7? I'm with bbb,you gotta have a gooseneck,which is a stem for threaded forks,in order to mount with bicycle components.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I understand d gizzle. Won't the stock cruiser stem work?

My Whizzer is in storage now. I'll have my son shoot a pic when we dig the bike out.

Did I mention that I traded my son's used laptop for my used 2006 Whizzer?dance1

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Mine's working fine and I reamed it out for 7/8 bars. Thanks for the warning, fortunately keeping an eye on it is easy front and center, lol.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I meant in reference to 5-7's post Scotto. He said he used standard components,called it a stem,pretty sure that's a gooseneck. School me if I'm wrong,I hate spreading false knowledge,makes one look not so good.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I meant in reference to 5-7's post Scotto. He said he used standard components,called it a stem,pretty sure that's a gooseneck. School me if I'm wrong,I hate spreading false knowledge,makes one look not so good.
You can use a stem (which is also called a gooseneck) on the fork set-up. All you have to do is leave the steerer tube long enough for threaded head set nuts to be used, then just insert the stem into the steerer tube same as you would on any standard bicycle set-up. It's simple.