I've been away from this for awhile, but now I'm back and want to build a bike

GoldenMotor.com

jpanichella

Sep 22, 2012
Oceanside, CA
Hey guys!

I've been away from this for awhile, I left the hobby in around 2008 due to the demands of college and all that. For awhile I got into building electric bicycles, but now I'm back to stinky old fossil fuels.

My first motorized bike was built on the only real option at the time (sans friction drives and all that, but I'm too vain and like the look of a motor in a frame), the much beloved happy time kit. It was fun, until the little motor sheared the tubing of the bike it was slaved to in half. We mounted it using sheets of firm rubber, I was surprised to see how much power those little motors had. But I also remember mine being stinky, loud, unreliable, and leaky.

Now I'm looking into the current batch of 4 stroke alternatives. I've been spending the past few days doing my research and I'm still fairly torn. I could go with the 49cc kit that's fairly common (I realize to avoid the one with the hoot gearbox, those were around right as I was leaving the hobby and it's apparent they're still junk), or I could check out the hype surrounding these Harbor Freight motors.

I went to Harbor Freight in Oceanside, CA today to scope out the motors. As I suspected, nothing smaller than the 212cc that people somehow shoehorn into bikes. I've seen that HF is in the process of removing their 99cc motors and replacing them with the latest 79cc, any idea if that motor will be available in California? If I have to jump through hoops to get it, I'll just stick with the currently available kit.

Regarding the base for this project, I still have memories of the sinking feeling when I realized that my bike was falling apart as I was riding down a hill. So I want something pretty beefy. I'm broke, so worksman is out of the picture for now. I've been scouring craigslist and the lower end cruiser re-sellers looking for a frame that grabs me. I'm strongly considering the Shire Adwa from Copacabana Bikes. It'll need upgraded brakes, but it's on sale for a steal.

Any reason not to jump on this bike for $120? From what little I've found they seem pretty solid. Anybody seen one of these before?

Well, that's it for now, just needed to get all of that out of my head. I appreciate all your help guys! I look forward to building a fast, fun, and vintage inspired bike.

jpanichella

Sep 22, 2012
Oceanside, CA
Thanks!

Good to be back.

I've been spending a lot of time looking into bikes, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to avoid something new in favor of something older and more robust. I used to have a Schwinn Corvette frame that I gave to a friend a few years back. I wish I still had it, but I want to find something similar.

Has anybody had any luck with the 97cc power plants from Surplus Center that are certified in Cali? They also have a 148cc Briggs and Stratton that could keep me in legal moped range and I could drive it with an M2 license.

97cc PowerPro

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1623&catname=engines

They sell the 148cc motor with and without a 6:1 reduction. I don't know much about the rest of the drive system yet, but it seems like it could work.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1744&catname=engines

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1743&catname=engines

I'm kind of swinging in the dark, so any feedback would be appreciated. I'm still heavily in the research phase, and appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Jon

jpanichella

Sep 22, 2012
Oceanside, CA
I've also found this website with some interesting engine alternatives. The first being a 49cc gas motor with both pull and electric start.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/49enwimapust.html

And a 50cc GY6 Clone with an electric start AND a kick start. Has anybody used anything like this? The motor looks great, and makes 2.6 peak horsepower.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/494hostscena.html
edit:

I've already found people using this motor. I'm going to post in a more specific forum.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Jp, see if you can find a Schwinn Jaguar, because they have twin V brakes and multi gears with a frame like a cruiser. You really need to be able to STOP.

By the way Butterbean, in NY you could run a v-8 in your moped. The laws are speed based but all require a plate on the back.

jpanichella

Sep 22, 2012
Oceanside, CA
Yeah, after doing a bunch of research on those motors, I've come to the conclusion that unless I decide to do a stretch cruiser, or somehow build a cradle frame a-la Big Boy Cycles, I'm going to stick with something that requires less fabrication.

My current idea is to stick with a good old fashioned china girl and look into these shift kits people have been talking about. I want a strong base, so I'm hoping to find a Chicago Schwinn on Craigslist. I keep reading about these Micargi, Huffy, and Firmstrong frames cracking under the torque of these little motors.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is a really good thought. Keep it simple and work up as wanted and or needed.

Met a guy once. He was retired and liked to tinker with bikes and sell them. What he did was go to local dumps and they would just give him bikes. The guy had at least 4 or 500 bikes. Was just a hobby for him but man he had some cool stuff.

His only complaint was it was a rule here that he could not cherry pick and had to take the whole bike and not just parts.

I have always meant to try it but never got around to it.

Just a thought.

Also, Goodwill and thrift stores are great! Some times you get lucky. Once saw a Worksman that was missing a pedal. They wanted $20! I forget why but did not get it and when I went back, it was gone.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Your very welcome JP.

I honestly don't know about switching from single to multi-geared. Found this; http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...tab=0&gsc.q=convert a single speed&gsc.page=1

I have not owned a single speed in many years and have never converted one. But some one who has will offer you their thoughts, I'm sure.

LOL, Now I wanna try one just to see whats involved. I had thought it was gonna be as simple as just swapping the rear wheel but is more complicated.