Anybody try a Comet torque converter on a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

fitzmotor1

Aug 26, 2012
SCV, Ca
Comet converters are the standard for mini bikes and go karts, anybody ever fit one to a bike? aside from being big, heavy and rated for higher horsepower than most bikes, the idea is great.

Just a crazy thought that I was hoping somebody has tried.

Thanks.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Fitz. A bunch of folks have used CVTs. I have had one on a Harbor Freight engine for months but have yet to get it on a bike. Shafts on most engines that will work for our thing are 5/8 and needs to be shimmed up. Also a CVT needs to be further reduced, ratio wise for a conventional sprocket drive. I have yet to really work on either of those puzzles but many have with success.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...=1315j713437j4#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=CVT&gsc.page=1

fitzmotor1

Aug 26, 2012
SCV, Ca
The Comet asymmetric 30 is about as close as I can find, rated 3-8 hp, I am wanting to try it, but I dont know if it will be ok, it's heavy, a 3/4 belt to drive which may be a power loss as it goes through the front and rear pulley ratio changes and the ratio goes from .90 high to 2.68 low, and it is about $135 thats why I was hoping somebody had tried one or something similar.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"...thats why I was hoping somebody had tried one or something similar."

It has been. There are many on the link I provided above or use the search feature above and in the center.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
They're wide, go through belts rather quick and they don't pedal very well. If you need to pedal with engine off, you need Lance legs.

Some might argue if they wanted to pedal, they wouldn't have put an engine on a bike - but well, you never know when you might need to pedal.

stewpedassle

Feb 16, 2012
florida
i had 80t4g belt had 5 bearing shred found cvt for pocket bike 49cc X1 X2 Ninja Pocket Bike Cvt Transmission Gearbox Tm03 does anyone know anythingabout it if will work ect. thank guys name says it all lolzpt:-||laff

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
This Comet torque converter seems to rob to much power (I cant get past 35 mph and it slows way down on the hills?) is there a trans that we could use instead? Do you guys think a rear derailer would hold up to the power of a 200cc HF engine?