Red Tag FYI

GoldenMotor.com

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
BTW my bushing motor with 23,000 only the mag and clutch cover have been removed. The motor has never been apart.

And I did have to replace the crank seal on the mag side around 18,000. I had a magneto go bad but that was because the crank seal went out soaking my Mag in fuel.
wow i wish they still made engines like that they are all most all needle bearing now and i keep reading problems with them

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a 68.5cc engine from BGF that I purchased last April. As far as I know, this particular engine does not have any mechanical issues as of yet. However, this is the 4th engine I have had since I built my first bike back in 2009, and this is only my second bike. Here is the breakdown: I gave my first bike to a friend that I was staying with in lieu of rent money so that I could build my second bike. The engine on the first bike was a SkyHawk GT2B 49cc. The first engine on the current bike was a SkyHawk GT5-A 66cc. My friend returned my first bike to me when the seat tube of the frame cracked. The rear mounting bolts had come loose and the engine moving back and forth more than it should is what cracked the seat tube. The 66cc snapped a rear mounting bolt, so the GT2 came off the first bike and went on the second bike. Shortly after that, the rings in the GT2 burnt up. It turned out that I had been using the wrong type of oil (marine 2 cycle oil). I then purchased a 49cc top end and a bottom end with centrifugal clutch from gasbike. I assembled the motor with the help of a buddy, and had nothing but problems. I blew a head gasket, stripped my exhaust studs, and after the 3rd or 4th ride, the one way bearing in the clutch failed, and since it wasnt a dual start, it was done for. I then purchased the engine that I currently have. It is a little stronger than any of the other engines, and ran better and smoother even out of the box. So far, I have considered it to be a great engine, and very reliable. My only concern now is this. I know that all these two strokes break down eventually. Some of them last a very long time, and others not so much. I have no way of knowing how many more miles I will get out of this bike, so I am considering either installing some sort of 4 stroke engine or just replacing my 2 stroke engine every year or so. I constantly debate with myself about how to deal with the issue of long term reliability.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
have all your motors been skyhawks?
if so that might be your problem and also never use the stock hardware for these kits. always go to the store and spend the $20 to replace all of it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
No, what happened to my previous engines was not a Grubee issue. Some of it was my fault, the rest were common problems that I was either unaware of or unable to prevent. I have only ever had one issue with stock hardware, so I wont ever replace hardware unless it needs it. Grubee is really no worse or better quality than any of the other engines that are being sold nowadays, and some of the other engines are actually made at the same factories and sold under different names. Grubee's only real problem is that their customer service is inconsistent. Some people get what they pay for and get great customer service. Others get the shaft.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
No, what happened to my previous engines was not a Grubee issue. Some of it was my fault, the rest were common problems that I was either unaware of or unable to prevent. I have only ever had one issue with stock hardware, so I wont ever replace hardware unless it needs it. Grubee is really no worse or better quality than any of the other engines that are being sold nowadays, and some of the other engines are actually made at the same factories and sold under different names. Grubee's only real problem is that their customer service is inconsistent. Some people get what they pay for and get great customer service. Others get the shaft.
i own a 2011 GT-5 kit and a flying horse kit there is no comparing the 2 the grubee kit is such cheap crap if you sit them side by side with there 410 chain, sloppy welds (on the tank) and the worst is they are horribly under packed i cant beleve anyone cane get a kit from them without something being broken or missing.then to add insult to it they send out the EPA parts which never work right unless you modify the h3ll out of them

the flying horse kit has the 415 chain the NT carb and had the option of the ubolt mount (grubee says drill your frame not happening).
nicest thing is it works out of the box and NOTHING is scratched, dented or broken they spent the extra $1 on boxs and bubble wrap bags to pack things in. also it works out of the box no extra parts needed and pulls like a train in comparison to the grubee(when it worked ).

so in short there are huge differences in the kits even if they are cast the same the quality control makes a difference and i feel better when i open a box and its not just tossed inside.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
i own a 2011 GT-5 kit and a flying horse kit there is no comparing the 2 the grubee kit is such cheap crap if you sit them side by side with there 410 chain, sloppy welds (on the tank) and the worst is they are horribly under packed i cant beleve anyone cane get a kit from them without something being broken or missing.then to add insult to it they send out the EPA parts which never work right unless you modify the h3ll out of them

the flying horse kit has the 415 chain the NT carb and had the option of the ubolt mount (grubee says drill your frame not happening).
nicest thing is it works out of the box and NOTHING is scratched, dented or broken they spent the extra $1 on boxs and bubble wrap bags to pack things in. also it works out of the box no extra parts needed and pulls like a train in comparison to the grubee(when it worked ).

so in short there are huge differences in the kits even if they are cast the same the quality control makes a difference and i feel better when i open a box and its not just tossed inside.
That is one experience. It doesnt prove that Flying Horse in general is better than Grubee or any other kit. It also doesnt prove that Grubee is any worse in general than any other kit. You got a crappy Grubee kit and a good Flying Horse kit. People buy 3 Grubee kits and two of them are great, and the same with Flying Horse. Quality Control is the same at all the factories. Everything rolls off the line and goes in a box. They dont check any of the parts to see if they work. some factories dont even start the engines to see if they run. Some do, and that is the extent of quality inspection at any of these factories. I had two grubee kits, and the quality was the same. In fact, my bike is two years old, and the only Grubee parts it doesnt have is the engine, chain, and gas tank. I got a bigger tank, needed a new engine, and the kit chain I just replaced. There are basically 3 parts to the 2 stroke motorbike game. Knowing whether what you got is total junk or at least half useable, knowing how to make the half useable stuff REALLY useable without destroying it in the process, and taking care of/maintaining/replacing as needed once its together. it dont matter which two stroke kit you get, none of them are hondas, and aint never gonna be, no matter what. On average, they are all the same quality. One kit might come out of a factory and be perfect, another might fall apart on ya. Its all relatively the same. After you have bought a few more kits or engines from different suppliers, you'll see.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i was saying its not the "quality" of the parts to a point its the parts they use the 410 vs the 415 the epa CNS carb vs the NT (NT is far better) the offset intakes vs the shortys and other things like mounts and how its packed from the factory. and quality control also plays a huge part if they care at all if they brake a ring putting the engine together. im not saying that the flying horse kits are all perfect but they seem to have less problems than the new GT-5.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The GT5 is not a great motor/kit combo, I will give you that. The NT is a reliable carb, even if it is a bit gutless. My GT5 kit came with an NT carb, as well as my GT2 kit. Nobody at any of the factories probably care if they put a broken ring in. You're lucky if your engine comes from a factory where they test run the engines. Then at least you wont get an engine with a broken ring, but there is no way of knowing that. The other thing you have to understand as the reason why all these engines dont run exactly the same is because they dont have strict tolerances where these parts are machined. In case you dont know (and if you do then I apologize), a tolerance is an amount that a machined part can be off by during a production run and still be considered acceptable. I dont know if they even pay attention to the tolerances at all or what they are, but I guarantee you they are not very strict or otherwise these engines would all run pretty much the same. And they all come from factories in China, where the workers dont get paid very much, so they probably dont even care that much about tolerances or quality control or any of that. If you got a good kit and engine and you are completely satisfied with it, then you are lucky. I got a decent engine now, but I worry how much longer it will last.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
yep i know tolerances im one of them god damn engine builder fabricator types lol i have a 10,000 RPM small block chevy in the garage that i built for my elcamino (current resto project)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
BTW my bushing motor with 23,000 only the mag and clutch cover have been removed. The motor has never been apart.

And I did have to replace the crank seal on the mag side around 18,000. I had a magneto go bad but that was because the crank seal went out soaking my Mag in fuel.
I was checking my records and this is not true. The motor has been apart, in 2010 I had a base gasket go bad.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dave31

Hi buddy, have not had a chance to try out the phone number I asked for.

Your lucky to make 100 miles with that cheap gas additive you use!!! lol.

Thats all I`ll say about that. Bought 10 CG kits in 2008, have not installed any yet.

Ron