East Coast Motorized Bike Rally October 11 & 12

GoldenMotor.com

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Hi all,
This is rather short notice, but I've been organizing a motorized bike rally and swap meet at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, Delaware. Of the members of this forum, Quenton will be there, so will Fossil and myself. As you can tell, it kinda leans towards Whizzers, but I'll bring my GruBee-powered 48cc bikes as well.
We will be set up near the basketball courts, so if you want to shoot hoops, bring a basketball (lol). We will be near the beach bath house and the Nature Center, so facilities are right nearby.
There are a good number of eateries in and around the town of Lewes, so we'll be riding around town, down by the beach, wherever we want to go. Just remember to bring a helmet. Delaware has a helmet law that although you needn't wear it, it must be with you and displayed (while riding).
For those interested in WWII history, we'll have a ride-out to Fort Miles (more like a ride-in, as it's in the park). They will be conducting a tour of the WWII Coastal Artillery Casemate "Battery 519" at 2pm on Saturday. It's time well spent. As I'm a volunteer at Fort Miles (as is Fossil), I can lead a tour around the grounds (except for Battery 519) any time. In fact, the CO of Fort Miles plans to join us at the rally on Sunday (he's working there on Saturday).
I will say this, for securing your bikes overnight, bring a good lock just in case. This hasn't been finalized yet, but I'm trying to get permission for our bikes to be secured inside Battery Smith (next to the Biden Center) Saturday night. Nothing like having your bike behind steel doors, 10 feet of concrete above, below and beside, all under 30 feet of sand dunes.
Anyone interested?

Last edited:

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
if i was close i would definately be there but i live out in the middle of no where in illinois where all there are is bike swap meets where everyong pedals :rollseyes: well good luck and have fun

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Kilroy, Will try to make it. Sounds great. I am in CT, so is a bit of a trip but sounds great.

Sky High

Aug 28, 2008
Virginia
****-O : Is there camping on-site by any chance ? OR near Cape Henlopen State Park... I`m located in Virginia & might just drive over.

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I believe there is camping in the park. Kilroy should be able to answer your question. I will talk to him tonight and have him post a reply.

Jim

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
For those who are interested in coming to the rally and are looking to camp, Cape Henlopen State Park does have campsites available. Here's the toll-free number to call: 877-987-2757. Hope to see you there!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
With bells on Sir. So the wife knows I can't sneak up on small prey. LOL, she is great fun.

Dumb story about that boat. Pidgins lived in her bow doors. We were told to "get rid of them" and given BB guns as they soiled passengers cars. They were cool and aside from the "soiling" bothered no one. They would get back on board and ride home when they heard the whistle getting underway. So we (the crew) made bulls-eyes and target practiced. We told the higher ups that the birds were no more and we cleaned the cars b4 reaching port. Sorry, just a fun remeberence of my well spent youth

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Dan, in case you don't have a room booked anywhere, there is a reasonably priced hotel just outside of Lewes with rooms possibly still available. It's called the Red Mill Inn. It's only about ten minutes from the Rally site. Quenton and his wife, my brother and I have all booked rooms there. The phone number is: (302) 645-9736.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan, in case you don't have a room booked anywhere, there is a reasonably priced hotel just outside of Lewes with rooms possibly still available. It's called the Red Mill Inn. It's only about ten minutes from the Rally site. Quenton and his wife, my brother and I have all booked rooms there. The phone number is: (302) 645-9736.
Thanks, was gonna ask Kilroy. I am greatly looking forward to this. The Baby's Momma is seeing if she can join me. Folks like her better, snork. But I will be there.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Hi all,
Those attending the Rally / Swap Meet at Cape Henlopen might want to consider bringing a table and folding chair(s) if planning to sell at the swap meet. Also, Delaware does have a helmet law. You need not wear it, but it has to be in your posession and displayed while riding. I have a spare helmet to fit a pumpkinhead like mine (XL or 7 5/8) that I'll bring. Goggles might be a good idea too, as it's October and we're at the shore. Bugs - they may abound. Bring bug juice (repellent) if you have it. I'll try to remember where I put mine.
I'm bringing a rudimentary First Aid Kit in case someone decides to lay one down. If anyone else has a first aid kit to bring that would be great.
Don't forget, we are not far from the fishing pier, and if anyone wants to take an hour or so to fish, by all means bring a rod and reel. Fossil and I love to go fishin'.
There are no food/drink vendors in the park, so it might behoove you to bring something to drink. Remember, alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be consumed in the park, so leave the beer (etc.) for later. We will be riding out into the town of Lewes to have lunch. There are a lot of restaurant choices in town, but I'm inclined to head to the "Irish Eyes Pub" and get a "Murphy's Melt" or one of their half-pound burgers and a draught of Guinness. Irish Eyes Pub - Lewes, Delaware - Rehoboth Beach, Delaware - Milton, Delaware
Looking forward to seeing you guys there!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
We, the good wife and I are there. Lookin forward to it Kilroy. Thank you again for the invite. Thanks for the heads up about head gear. I would have left it home.

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Dan, we'll have signs posted once to get to the park. My cell number is: (610) 389-8300, Fossil's is: (484) 883-0353. We're riding down together, so you can get us on either number. Looking forward to meeting you!

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Well it's Monday and we all made it through the weekend without bringing out the first aid kit. This is always a good thing. We had a great event. We had perfect weather and nice rides through Cape Henlopen State Park and into Lewes Delaware. The turnout was not a large as we would have liked but the locals that stumbled across event were fascinated with the different types of bikes we had on display. It was a fun time and I can not wait for next for next year. This event came together on short notice and still went well. Now we have a whole year to plan next years event.

Jim

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was a great time. Thanks again for the invite Killroy and Fossil. Have some great pics. Learned a lot! Mostly that I want a Wizzer! snork

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Very glad you could make the long trip down from Connecticut. I enjoyed meeting you and your wife. She was a very good sport too. I hope your and Carrol will make the trip again next year. Did any more pieces of your bike fall off on the way home? lol
Take care
Jim