Important:Here's why ppl pull out in front of us.

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
That's what we call "tunnel vision" in aviation (probably else ware also). As a Air traffic controller, when looking out of the tower spotting for aircraft, scan slowly. If you fixate in one spot you won't see them. Same thing as the test.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
They should replace the yellow dots with people on bicycles. Which is why I preach; "Ride as if you're invisible". Because you are.
Tom

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
The problem is people don't start looking until they get to the intersection and then when they do start looking, they're too impatient to scan properly. So many times I see people pulling up to intersections and they're staring straight ahead or even looking down, until they get all the way there.

There will always be poor drivers and there will always be nothing you can do about except for go around back of them. Unless there is traffic running beside me, I never go in front of them unless I see them stab their brakes right as they lock eyes with me; that's the only time I know for certain they've seen me.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
hey couple days ago I approached an intersection / parking lot where I had the right of way , this guy in a quad cab ford dually looked at me , looked again an pulled out any way cutting me off only place to go was the berm an his truck was covering that too . I know he "noticed me " as I hollerd " thanks" as he drove away .

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've ridden motorcycles all my life... I've alway just known that if you don't have two headlights & a bumper, drivers don't see (or look for you) because you're not a threat to their safety. :rolleyes:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I've ridden motorcycles all my life... I've alway just known that if you don't have two headlights & a bumper, drivers don't see (or look for you) because you're not a threat to their safety. :rolleyes:
Exactly! I actually stopped riding motorcycles after my son was born because even just commuting was too dangerous. Not even sport riding, but just cruising along I-35 to work, almost every day I had to get out of someone's way because they were not paying attention and "did not see me".

I am sure riding a motorized bicycle would make me even less visible, so assuming you always cannot be seen seems like the best bet.

So if you are invisible riding a motorcycle, and even less visible riding a motorized bicycle, then does that mean that not only can you not be seen, but you also cloak things around you? Sounds like I might need some government grant money to fund some research on this! I should probably also test 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke, and displacement as well, so will need the funds for at least three more builds...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Here is one simple thing you can do to drastically change your visibility for under $20.

A fast blinking front strobe light for ALL riding day or night.

I am not talking about some $25 Bell light with a AA battery and a flashlight bulb either, you can't see them in daylight.

I am talking about a CREE LED powered by a rechargeable 3.7V 2.2A Lithium Ion battery.

No **** guys, I broadsided a van that 'didn't see me' and ever since I put one on I haven't even had a close call.

You can check out the ones I am buying here
http://www.tmart.com/Q5-3-Mode-LED-Bicycle-Front-Light-Lamp-with-Bracket-118650_p124044.html

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I used to have problems. Then I started riding with this crazy, biker freak friend and my whole riding style changed. I don't really have a problem any more. I ride for my safety, I claim my lane. And that is what the law in TN tells me to do.

Over 50,000 miles by pedal bike since '98. The only time I've had a run in with a car was my own fault. It was almost the end of me, they were doin' 'bout 50 or so when I hit them in the front drivers side quarter panel. Every time I ride, my index fingers are on my brake levers. This way I can stop on a moments notice. Having my fingers already on the brake levers allowed me to slow fast enough to not get hurt at all.

I'm also fortunate enough to live in Midtown Memphis. Living here lets me choose streets that has very little traffic. When I do ride on more heavily traveled roads I pick which ones I ride on. Some roads I stay off of. Being on a bike, motor or not, we have to ride for our safety first.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That's a real good point about covering the brakes! I have also seen that mentioned on some motorcycle safety sites. Thanks.

Another good tip for surviving on the road:
If your shadow is long in front of you, then the oncoming cage drivers can't see you because they are looking into the sun.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Another good tip for surviving on the road:
If your shadow is long in front of you, then the oncoming cage drivers can't see you because they are looking into the sun.
Indeed, but a super bright strobe in the front will still get you seen by oncoming traffic.

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Exactly! I actually stopped riding motorcycles after my son was born because even just commuting was too dangerous. Not even sport riding, but just cruising along I-35 to work, almost every day I had to get out of someone's way because they were not paying attention and "did not see me".

I am sure riding a motorized bicycle would make me even less visible, so assuming you always cannot be seen seems like the best bet.

So if you are invisible riding a motorcycle, and even less visible riding a motorized bicycle, then does that mean that not only can you not be seen, but you also cloak things around you? Sounds like I might need some government grant money to fund some research on this! I should probably also test 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke, and displacement as well, so will need the funds for at least three more builds...
well I know why its dangerous on your motorcycle....

YOU LIVE IN TEXAS! Driving in Texas sucks regardless

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I have a front handlebar light for visibility and a high quality digital torch for a helmet light, usually on flash mode. Once some idiot woman stopped all out in a 2 lane highway, and a moron behind her pulled out from behind her, apparently noticing me but flooring it anyway. I had to swing hard onto the shoulder and grassy ditch to avoid him. The staring woman stayed her car there a moment, then turned onto a rural route and drove off.
:rolleyes:

A lot of times cagers do notice you, stop and guage your speed, then pull out anyway, like FU, mine's bigger. They think it's a game about "status".

Here is one simple thing you can do to drastically change your visibility for under $20.

A fast blinking front strobe light for ALL riding day or night.

I am not talking about some $25 Bell light with a AA battery and a flashlight bulb either, you can't see them in daylight.

I am talking about a CREE LED powered by a rechargeable 3.7V 2.2A Lithium Ion battery.

No **** guys, I broadsided a van that 'didn't see me' and ever since I put one on I haven't even had a close call.

You can check out the ones I am buying here
http://www.tmart.com/Q5-3-Mode-LED-Bicycle-Front-Light-Lamp-with-Bracket-118650_p124044.html