New Build

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
This is a very cool build, and like Cobrafreak said there is a lot of innovation going on in this build. Great work!!!!

One question though.... it appears your rear stand attaches to the rear axle, is that correct? If so that would mean you would not be able to remove the rear wheel without removing the rear stand

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
This is a very cool build, and like Cobrafreak said there is a lot of innovation going on in this build. Great work!!!!

One question though.... it appears your rear stand attaches to the rear axle, is that correct? If so that would mean you would not be able to remove the rear wheel without removing the rear stand
Yes, that is right about the drop stand, it's design won't let you take the rear wheel off.
There are mounts on the frame near the rear drop outs for the bicycle type drop stand but those stands are real light weight.
I wanted a stronger stand so I made this one which is basically a copy of a 1940's Whizzer stand.
Your comment has stirred my thought process though, stay tuned for pics of the revised drop stand.

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I'll toast a drink to your muffler! :) Yeah, if you can't remove the rear wheel with the stand it probably is worth a redo. You will get a lot more rear flats than front flats.

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
Because of the holiday season I have not had as much time in the garage as I would like but I did manage to get some things done.
It has been a while since my last pics so here is what I have been working on.

The bike rode OK with the chain drive (primary drive) but it did have some ringing from the clutch and rattle noise from the short chain when it had a load on it.
Any of you guys that rode old school minibikes with the lawn mower engines know the sounds I'm talking about.
I decided to try a gearbelt set up to try to smooth some of that vibration and quiet the noise down. I could not find a clutch that had a gearbelt pulley on it (they may be out there somewhere) so I machined the sprocket off of a clutch hub and brazed on a pulley.
I also had to make an idler pulley with an adjuster to adjust the slack.

So far so good, it is now much smoother than with the chain and the belt helps dampen the ringing noise of the clutch engaging.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That pedal sprocket, toothed pulley thingy is very trick looking........ but does it work properly without the primary belt ever jumping off the pedal pulley? Very cool

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
Thanks for the links, but V-Belt clutches are easy to find.
Clutches for Gear Belts (Syncronous, Timing belts, Toothed belts, what ever you want to call them) are harder to find. Max Torque did say they could make one for me.

I have not had any problem with the belt wanting to jump off the pulley.
If you take the time to make sure the pulleys are in line and true with each other, the belt will track correctly.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That is very nice VB!
Did you use cam/timing gears/belt?
What is their part nos? Are they common use items?

Have you seen the Trek bicycle that uses a cog belt drive?
You might want to google it and have a look at their setup. AFAIK it's a production bicycle. No clue how well they are doing with it...

lol
Yah, I know that dumb mini-bike noise!
lol
gud to get rid of it!

I also feel it's a real problem that they use such small tooth count on them. It's gotta be very hard on the chains, jerking them around such a tight bend, with power... just can't be gud for chain life!

What primary ratio did you end up with on yours?

Best
rc

lol
need just a tad smaller radius in that exhaust pipe! :)

Oh, and very nice muffler you made for it!
Would you post more pics of your work? :)

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Mr Vintage, just found this thread and have enjoyed looking at and reading about your build. Nicely done! Dan

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
Thank you Tinsmith for the compliment.
Are you the Tinsmith that makes the gas tanks seen on this site?
If you are, I have admired your work. Very Nice.
I really enjoy seeing what people have made themselves.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Just rereading this LOVE this build. Was wondering if there was any changes or updates?

AND HOW IS IT RUNNING?..................Curt