New Build

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME! but you just raised a lot of questions. What with the hub behind the pedal sprocket? Is that the oridional fork?

I realy like your engine mount..........Curt

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
Thanks for the comments.
The pedal sprocket hub is the jackshaft with a 2 to 1 reduction on it.
It freewheels (the centrifigul clutch does actually) when you pedal so there is not really any resistance when you ride it without the motor running.
The rear hub is a Shimano Nexus 7 speed that I converted about 6 years ago.
It has an 80 tooth #35 sprocket on it. The clutch has a 13 tooth sprocket.
I made the aluminum motor mount plate bolt in so I could change it later if I wanted to switch to a different motor.

The fork is a Cleveland Welding Company springer, I believe they were called a Shockmaster. Many of the CWC bikes (Roadmaster, Western Flyer, Hiawatha, etc.) had them in the 1940's & 50's.

The motor is a nice running Honda G100 (flathead 84cc, CDI ignition) that I bought at a local swapmeet for $60. This is an earlier version of the GX100 I guess.

Attachments

Last edited:

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
The bike is a work in progress but I have ridden it already.
It actually runs real good.
I geared it to have good starting power not really for top end speed because it has drum not disc brakes.
It will pull itself away from a dead stop without pedaling.
The gearing calculator (Max Torque Clutches) said top speed would be about 23-25 mph if I remember right.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Really cool build. Looking at that Honda, I can see where the design for the engine on the HF "Clear Water Pump" comes from. Does yours have an easily removable cooling fan ?

MHF

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What is the teath count on the jack shaft sprockets? Althow its bigger then the aloud 50cc here, I might try and get buy with it.

You wouldn't have more details on your jack shaft with the free wheel would you?.......Curt

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
The jackshaft spins on a 3/4" shaft which is also the pedal shaft.
I threaded the shaft and turned down and slotted the ends to fit the cotter style pedal cranks. I also welded a flange on the right side to bolt the bicycle type sprocket on to.
I made the shaft long (wide) enough so the pedal cranks would clear the motor when pedaling.
I replaced the regular style bicycle pedal crank bearings with a sleeve and two 3/4" I.D. roller bearings, the type used in motorcycle wheel hubs.
The jackshaft also has the same style bearings in it so it can spin on the shaft independantly from the bicycle type sprocket on right hand side.

The sprockets have 48 and 24 teeth, but you can use almost any amount of teeth on your sprockets as long as one of them has twice as many teeth as the other one.

Attachments

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
I'm from Orange County.

I called this a New Build but I actually built the wheels and made the jackshaft - hub assembly about six years ago.
At that time I mounted a 3 hp Tecumseh 2 cycle motor from a heavy duty weed wacker in the frame but I didn't like the noise, vibration, smoke, etc. so I put the bike on the back burner (too many projects).
Well, months turned into years and I never finished it.

I bought the Honda motor a few months ago with a new direction in mind for the bike.

A month ago I read that they were having the bi-annual Whizzer ride up near the Sacramento Delta so that got me fired up and I started working on it again.
I did not make that ride but at least I got the bike up and running.
I have been doing a lot on it this past week. More pics coming soon.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
VB, if you come down to the Whiz-in you won't be disappointed. It is well worth the drive from Southern CA. I believe that a few folks at the event came from there as well as AZ and NM too. Hope to see you there!

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
VB, if you come down to the Whiz-in you won't be disappointed. It is well worth the drive from Southern CA. I believe that a few folks at the event came from there as well as AZ and NM too. Hope to see you there!
Years ago I went to the Simonian Farms swap meet & Whizzer ride in Fresno.
Are there any more rides or meets planned up north in the near furure?

vintagebiker

Nov 12, 2011
Southern Calif.
I have replaced the stock butterfly type carb with a NOS carb from a Honda XR80 dirtbike.
This G100 motor is 84cc so I thought I would try a carb off of an 80cc Honda 4 stroke motorcycle.
It has more adjustability and has a bigger bore.
So far it seems to run pretty good.
This required making new manifolds and throttle cable. I still need to fit an air cleaner to it.

I also took the stock lawn mower type muffler off and made a whizzer type pipe and built a slim muffler for it. Sounds pretty good without being too loud.

Attachments

Last edited: